Temperature of Nitro 5 AN515-52

JovenChng
JovenChng Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have a Nitro 5 laptop with GTX 1050 and i7-8750H.
May i ask, whats the safe and/or optimum temperature temperature for those CPU and GPU to be?
Also, does having fans at maximum speed shortens its life span? If so, to what extent?

Thank you so much for reading.

Best Answer

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓
    The i7-8750H has a TjMAX temp of 100C. Ideally, and this is up for debate, you don't want to see above 90C at maximum load over an extended period of time. In the 90's, you're right at the limit of thermal throttling. You're also bleeding heat from CPU to other components of the laptop that do not benefit from increased thermals (GPU, SSD, memory, chipset, etc).

The GTX 1050 is much the same limited to right around 97-98C. HOWEVER, Pascal architecture cards (yours) handle heat and throttling in a much different way than your Intel CPU. It's worth a Google, but essentially anything above 63C will result in a downclock to your core clock speed. This affects base and boost clock. Ideally, you want to be at 63C OR LOWER at all times to maintain maximum core clock speed on the GPU. This is not an easy task.

In general, the harder you work a component (especially a physical component like a spinning fan with a bearing) the more you 'shorten' it's life. Especially in a dusty, smoky, or otherwise unclean environment, the bearing will wear faster. The cleaner you keep it, the less it will wear. The manufacturer has engineered the fan profile with these considerations in mind. However, if you run the fans at 100% all the time it's not unreasonable to expect them to have issues sooner. How soon? That is literally anyone's guess, based on many factors which vary user to user. Your safest bet is to stick with the manufacturer's default fan profile and make use of the CoolBoost feature if your laptop has it to stay as cool as possible.

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018 Answer ✓
    The i7-8750H has a TjMAX temp of 100C. Ideally, and this is up for debate, you don't want to see above 90C at maximum load over an extended period of time. In the 90's, you're right at the limit of thermal throttling. You're also bleeding heat from CPU to other components of the laptop that do not benefit from increased thermals (GPU, SSD, memory, chipset, etc).

The GTX 1050 is much the same limited to right around 97-98C. HOWEVER, Pascal architecture cards (yours) handle heat and throttling in a much different way than your Intel CPU. It's worth a Google, but essentially anything above 63C will result in a downclock to your core clock speed. This affects base and boost clock. Ideally, you want to be at 63C OR LOWER at all times to maintain maximum core clock speed on the GPU. This is not an easy task.

In general, the harder you work a component (especially a physical component like a spinning fan with a bearing) the more you 'shorten' it's life. Especially in a dusty, smoky, or otherwise unclean environment, the bearing will wear faster. The cleaner you keep it, the less it will wear. The manufacturer has engineered the fan profile with these considerations in mind. However, if you run the fans at 100% all the time it's not unreasonable to expect them to have issues sooner. How soon? That is literally anyone's guess, based on many factors which vary user to user. Your safest bet is to stick with the manufacturer's default fan profile and make use of the CoolBoost feature if your laptop has it to stay as cool as possible.
  • JovenChng
    JovenChng Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    tobimaru said:

Thank you so much, tobimaru!! i really appreciate that you've answered all my questions. Thank you! :)