(Web-)camera won't load in Nvidia GeForce Experience - not for streaming or recording

GamerDad
GamerDad Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Ok, before you ship me over to the Nvidia-forums, as far as I can reckon - this problem has been prevalent for at least 2-3 years on different PC's, especially laptops. I've sent 3-4 feedbacks through GeForce Experience, but only within the last week - so they might need some time to implement a solution in an update later on.

So I'm asking here just in case someone has had a similar/identical problem, and knows about a quick fix.

Problem:
Camera just won't load using the HUD for GeForce Experience. I know my camera works, and will start, as I've tried other apps where it does what it's supposed to. I've tried recording, just in case it's just the HUD that isn't showing my camera - but no, my aging face who none probably are interested in seeing anyways, won't show.

Recently bought this new laptop, and went from an ASUS FX553VD with an Nvidia GTX1050, to my new ACER Nitro 5 with a 1060. On my old laptop, everything works nicely.

I've tried the following:
1. Uninstalling drivers/Geforce Experience - reinstalling, with clean install. Also before that, without clean install.
2. Removing "CEF cache"-folder, before doing "number 1".
3. Doing "number 1", but selecting 2-3 different older driver versions.
4. The obvious "turn HUD off and on again", also - turning camera capture off and on again.

Thought I'd ask the Acer-people directly, but there's no contact form, and really don't wanna do this over the phone as I live in Norway. 

- Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope... 

Answers

• GamerDad

Tinkerer

Uhm... see I've posted this in the wrong section. As you can see, I'm a noob here... so please feel free to delete this. I'll repost it in the correct section, which should be Nitro. :) 
  • Metal_Masher
    Metal_Masher Member Posts: 64 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018
    If you are using windows 10
    1:Make sure the drivers for the web cam is installed
    2:Camera must be turned on in the Settings/Privacy to allow windows 10 to allow access to the web cam to the rest of the system.
    Game 39%, Desk 122%, Work 57%
    CCPU: Intel Core i5-6300HQ - 50.6%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M - 32.2%
    SSD: Crucial P1 3D NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 594.5%
    SSD: Patriot P200 1TB - 68.6%
    RAM: Unknown CT8G4SFS8213.M8FA Hynix HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF 1315 CT8G4SFS8213.M8FA 24GB - 56.9%
    MBD: Acer Predator G9-791
  • GamerDad

Tinkerer

Integrated webcam in the laptop. And system tells me they're updated, can't find any new (or old) drivers for the webcam in the product support section whe're I've registered my laptop. Probably wouldn't have worked in any other app than Nvidia if drivers weren't installed, but it's only in Nvidia cam won't load.

And yeah, forgot to mention that I've done the "privacy settings for camera"-routine too, but doesn't help either way I set it - and Nvidia Geforce Experience doesn't show up on the possible apps to specially clear either. Not unloaded, or loaded, or in any state.

But thanks for at least trying Metal_masher. :) Was feeling a bit alone and overlooked. :p 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited December 2018
    Seems to me that if the webcam is working on any other software its a nvidia GE issue so you would have to go to nvidia forums and try to get them to sort it out there i don't think anyone has the answer for your issue here as it's not a predator hardware/software issue its a nvidia dev's issue and regarding the webcam drivers they are default microsoft drivers for all laptops so no changes there unless you have an external usb webcam there will not be any drivers for it its built into windows

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Metal_Masher
    Metal_Masher Member Posts: 64 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Glad to help, pity the tips it didn't work,like xapim said its best go to the Nvidia site for help, just an idea see if you can borrow a webcam off friend and see if it works or not.
    Game 39%, Desk 122%, Work 57%
    CCPU: Intel Core i5-6300HQ - 50.6%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M - 32.2%
    SSD: Crucial P1 3D NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 594.5%
    SSD: Patriot P200 1TB - 68.6%
    RAM: Unknown CT8G4SFS8213.M8FA Hynix HMA41GS6AFR8N-TF 1315 CT8G4SFS8213.M8FA 24GB - 56.9%
    MBD: Acer Predator G9-791
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    It is a very common issue amoung laptops your correct.. I haven't used my laptop cam (I use external) so I never dug into how to correct it.

Does your laptops camera show up in the basic windows camera app as accessible?
    - Hotel Hero
  • GamerDad

Tinkerer

xapim said:
    Seems to me that if the webcam is working on any other software its a nvidia GE issue so you would have to go to nvidia forums and try to get them to sort it out there i don't think anyone has the answer for your issue here as it's not a predator hardware/software issue its a nvidia dev's issue and regarding the webcam drivers they are default microsoft drivers for all laptops so no changes there unless you have an external usb webcam there will not be any drivers for it its built into windows
    Thing is, I've been through about 2-3 years of forum entries regarding the same type of issue in the Nvidia forums. So was kinda hoping someone here in teh Acer-forums knew somthing. Posting in the Predator section was just a simple mistake, this is just a duplicate of what I reposted in the Nitro5-section. But at least in here, people are trying.

Kinda odd with this Acer, as two previous Asus-laptops had no such issues. 
  • GamerDad

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    It is a very common issue amoung laptops your correct.. I haven't used my laptop cam (I use external) so I never dug into how to correct it.

Yeah, webcam works with both OBS and simpler camera apps. I've seen people in other comment sections, both on Youtube and in the Nvidia forums just suggest going OBS - but it's a bit fidgety, and a bit more draining on resources. Hardware's pretty crammed in these gaming laptops, so it heats up enough with just games running - not doing streams and recordings as well. :P

But I'll look into borrowing an external web-cam. Think we got some stuff at work I can try. Just to see if it helps. :) 
  • GamerDad

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:

Well, partial solution is just using an external cam - apparently. Sent a support-request to Acer, and finally got an answer. They suggested doing a full factory reset. A bit hesitant to do that, just because downloading 300GB of games and apps on a 50 mbit connection is just a pain. 

Maybe down the way.

But seems your tip paid off for now. :):+1:
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited December 2018
    GamerDad said:
    Red-Sand said:

Well, partial solution is just using an external cam - apparently. Sent a support-request to Acer, and finally got an answer. They suggested doing a full factory reset. A bit hesitant to do that, just because downloading 300GB of games and apps on a 50 mbit connection is just a pain. 

Maybe down the way.

Well seems the issue here is that the webcams on all laptops all work with the windows default driver there are no other specific drivers for the built in webcams as they are basically all the same so microsoft has made the universal driver and might be and might not but i think the issue might have something to do with the microsoft webcam drivers not being compatible with GE that's why the built in webcams aren't working on GE anyway it's just an assumption

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• GamerDad

Tinkerer

xapim said:
    GamerDad said:
    Red-Sand said:

Maybe down the way.

Well seems the issue here is that the webcams on all laptops all work with the windows default driver there are no other specific drivers for the built in webcams as they are basically all the same so microsoft has made the universal driver and might be and might not but i think the issue might have something to do with the microsoft webcam drivers not being compatible with GE that's why the built in webcams aren't working on GE anyway it's just an assumption
    Hmmm... I'll re-check my other two laptops, both from Asus, and see in details which drivers they use. Can't find any dedicated drivers available for download from Asus on my registered product in there at least, so guess I'll have to look into it when I'm home later. A good tip though. I'm managing with the external cam for now, but would have been nice to solve this puzzle, as it seems to have been going on for years. :P 
  • Mikosa
    Mikosa Member Posts: 1 New User
    I also had this problem. Helped when I installed the MFC extension.
  • Papacybin
    Papacybin Member Posts: 1 New User
    All you need to do is go to device manager and disable your laptop webcam which is most likely under cameras my external webcam is under imaging devices I disabled my camera and it worked right away 
  • NicoCava99
    NicoCava99 Member Posts: 1 New User
    i have the exact same problem... but today i've found out something interesting: if i go to settings / privacy / camera, i see that on the desktop app permission page i only have chrome and obs, instead if you go to settings / privacy / microphone, i also have NVIDIA Container (C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NvContainer\nvcontainer.exe). in the folder NvContainer there are a lot of .dll files and other folders... maybe some kind of file is missing for acer laptops, maybe a .dll file? i honestly don't know a sh!t about those kind of things, so maybe someone who has more experience could resolve the issue(?)
  • MBG_MENDOZA
    MBG_MENDOZA Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same issue. Just bought a new Nitro 5 i5 10th gen. Face cam when trying to record my game or even broadcast it live won't show up. I really hope someone would be able to help.
  • gerardrimes
    gerardrimes Member Posts: 1 New User
    Great! my same issue is fix! Thank

German chocolate cake