Does my A315 41G R4BW support m.2 SSD /NVMe/PCIe?

gdm
gdm Member Posts: 4 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

I have recently bought an Acer Aspire 3 A315 41G R4BW, and I'm planning to add an SSD m.2/NVMe with the existing 5200 RPM 1TB HDD included with the laptop.
I was wondering if it will work, browsing the net i have found that other A315 models(older ones) have m.2 slots included in their motherboards but it seems that, it doesn't work well with the laptop, so I was wondering if my laptop, the A315 41G model, specifically. supports m.2 since it is newer(I assume?).
I'm sorry as i am new to this NVMe/PCIe/M.2 things but i do know that it will be faster than my 5200 RPM hdd. I am planning to install the OS in the SSD while some other files in the HDD.

Hoping for your fast response.

Thank you.

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Your device has an M.2 port for SSD, which is with SATA interface. This means that it supports up to 600MB/s, which means having m.2 nvme/pcie SSD is meaningless as it will be capped at that speed. Instead, you can purchase a regular M.2 SATA SSD, which will be roughly 5 times faster than an HDD.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can. You can easily create a recovery drive from windows(in cortana enter 'create a recovery drive). Make sure that ' backup system files to recovery drive is selected'.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Your device has an M.2 port for SSD, which is with SATA interface. This means that it supports up to 600MB/s, which means having m.2 nvme/pcie SSD is meaningless as it will be capped at that speed. Instead, you can purchase a regular M.2 SATA SSD, which will be roughly 5 times faster than an HDD.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• gdm
    edited December 2018
    Thank you for your prompt response.

by M.2 SATA SSD do you mean something like this?: 1
    or this?: 2

Sorry for asking too many questions as i am new to this.

and by the way, can I install my OS here?

• ven98
    The M.2 sata looks the same as the NVMe(like picture 1).
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• gdm
    Can I install my OS in the M.2 sata then move my other files in the HDD?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Yes, you can. You can easily create a recovery drive from windows(in cortana enter 'create a recovery drive). Make sure that ' backup system files to recovery drive is selected'.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Yawngaruga
    Yawngaruga Member Posts: 4 New User
    Where is the slot located or how can you instal this SSD?

i have a little off topic question here but..is this laptop Dual Channel Capable and what maximum speed of ram can i use?

• ven98
    The laptop has 2 RAM slots, which work in dual channel and support up to 32GB(16x2) in total. The max frequency supported is 2400MHz if your CPU is 7th generation(eg i7-7700hq, the first digit after the i7- indicates the generation) and 2666MHz for 8th generation(eg i5-8300H).
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• gdm
    Thank you very much, I hope this upgrade will make my laptop faster, and I'm also gonna add another 4gb of ram to make it 8 in total. Thanks!
  • wcked
    wcked Member Posts: 1 New User
    gdm said:
    Hi,

I have recently bought an Acer Aspire 3 A315 41G R4BW, and I'm planning to add an SSD m.2/NVMe with the existing 5200 RPM 1TB HDD included with the laptop.
    I was wondering if it will work, browsing the net i have found that other A315 models(older ones) have m.2 slots included in their motherboards but it seems that, it doesn't work well with the laptop, so I was wondering if my laptop, the A315 41G model, specifically. supports m.2 since it is newer(I assume?).
    I'm sorry as i am new to this NVMe/PCIe/M.2 things but i do know that it will be faster than my 5200 RPM hdd. I am planning to install the OS in the SSD while some other files in the HDD.

Hoping for your fast response.

Thank you.
    what screwdriver can I used on the M.2 drive on the motherboard?