my screen is not showing but the laptop is turning on

rachit_97
rachit_97 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
my screen is not showing but laptop is turning on

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Long press power to force shut down. And then try powering up. If this doesn't help, try a battery reset (there are posts on here on how to do this). And once it is up, disable 'fast startup' option under power plan.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    What kind a laptop?
    Are the fans spinning?
    Is the keyboard lighting?
    What did you do before this happened? Did you do a BIOS update ? 
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    rachit_97 said:
    my screen is not showing but laptop is turning on
    After you try the first 2 suggestions given by @sri369 then try this

While powering on the device keep pressing F2 to access BIOS. Check if you are able to get the display in BIOS screen. If it does show the display then issue relates to operating system.

but if it does not show in BIOS then its something wrong with the Hardware.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • rachit_97
    rachit_97 Member Posts: 3 New User
    FULL PROBLEM : Actually the laptop was showing a error code (Predator Helios 300) wherein the keybaord backlight blinked thrice with no display showing and then it would turn off , i unmounted the ram sticks and exchanged them thier position, now the laptop is turning on but screen is not displaying anything
  • fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018
    What did you do before this happened? Did you update the BIOS ?
    Plug in an external display and see if there is anything on that.
    Try out each ram stick individually or if you have an extra stick, try that too. 
    IF nothing above helped, then your problem sounds to be a bios issue. 
    In some cases the BIOS might get damaged even when you do not do anything with it, but this usually happens with older laptops. 

First try a CMOS reset (disconnect battery+sort 2 pins for 30 sec) to see if clearing the BIOS settings+rewriting the EC can fix the issue. 
    A member with "Ace" rank can check the service manual and tell you which pins need to be sorted, just write down your laptop's exact model (for example "PH317-52-72G1") so they could know which service manual to check (there are some differences on this part between 7th and 8th gen Acer laptops ).

If that does not work, you need to RMA because the only thing left is to rewrite the BIOS chip with the original .bin file using an SPI programmer.