Acer BIOS driver 1.11 makes the keyboard backlight turn off even when the AC is plugged in. AN515-42

Dootidoot
Dootidoot Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
After my Acer Nitro 5 automatically installed the BIOS 1.11 (12.nov) I noticed that my AN515-42 would turn off its backlight even when the charging cable is plugged in. I have restarted my Nitro 5 a few times, but I have not rolled back driver yet, maybe that will be the solution?

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited January 2019 Answer ✓

Hi all,

We apologize for all the confusion this has created, I want to clarify that the intended behavior of the backlight on all Nitro's 5 and Acer models is to always turn off 30 seconds after the last key stroke, this is not a bug but a feature (is not new), and it is a power saver (it does save on battery life).

Please refer to the following knowledge article link: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34903 We will provide your feedback to our design/engineering team for future consideration, but at the moment theirs no information that this feature will be changed.

Note: This thread will be now closed and this marked as the official solution.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause,

Acer-Manny

Answers

• AumShanti
    AumShanti Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    I think that this backlight timeout is hardcoded in BIOS, and that rolling back drivers would have no effect. You would have to downgrade the BIOS version to the previous one you were using.

But if anyone has a better solution, please comment here...
  • Dootidoot
    AumShanti said:
    I think that this backlight timeout is hardcoded in BIOS, and that rolling back drivers would have no effect. You would have to downgrade the BIOS version to the previous one you were using.

But if anyone has a better solution, please comment here...
    Maybe you can go to the BIOS settings during startup to change it?
  • AMDKilla
    AMDKilla Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I have this same issue, I also have trouble connecting to WiFi for a few minutes after boot too. How would I go about downgrading the BIOS? It just tells me I can't downgrade as the current BIOS is newer than the one I am trying to flash
  • Wisnialuk6
    Wisnialuk6 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Bios downgrading by bios recovery.unpack and Put file to root catalog on pendrive (formated FAT 32). Turn off laptop. Put pendrive to USB. Press fn+ESC and press power button. Laptop start with black screen after. Process take 15min.Flashing the bios will end up turning off your laptop.
    Sorry for nad english. File is oryginal bios 1.10.
  • Dootidoot
    Bios downgrading by bios recovery.unpack and Put file to root catalog on pendrive (formated FAT 32). Turn off laptop. Put pendrive to USB. Press fn+ESC and press power button. Laptop start with black screen after. Process take 15min.Flashing the bios will end up turning off your laptop.
    I won't try this until someone confirms that this works, I don't want to risk my warranty.
  • AMDKilla
    I successfully downgraded using the Windows based Flash Utility.

You have to run the installer for the version you want, and let it get to the error about the BIOS being newer than the flash file. Keep the program open and browse to your User\Appdata\Local\Temp folder. There will be a folder called something similar to "7zS1A52.tmp" that contains a program called H20FFT-W.

Copy this folder somewhere else, and then edit the Platform.ini

Use CTRL+F to search for "flag=2". You are looking for the one under [Bios_Version_Check]

Change this 2 to a 0 and save. You can then run the H2OFFT-W program and it will flash that version to your BIOS.

REMEMBER, THIS HAS THE ABILITY TO RENDER YOUR LAPTOP AN EXPENSIVE PAPERWEIGHT!!

I can confirm that going back down to 1.10 solves the keyboard backlight issue. Someone on another thread suggested that Customer Services told them that it was an intended feature that helps extend the life of the backlight.
  • AMDKilla
    I also appeared to fix my WiFi by downloading the latest version from Acer (already had it installed) and running the installer in repair mode.
  • Wisnialuk6
    Wisnialuk6 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Dootidoot said:
    I won't try this until someone confirms that this works, I don't want to risk my warranty.
    I checked this method on my laptop and it works. It resolve problem with keyboard. This method can also fix the BIOS when something goes wrong with flashing.
     This method is easier:
    AMDKilla said:

You have to run the installer for the version you want, and let it get to the error about the BIOS being newer than the flash file. Keep the program open and browse to your User\Appdata\Local\Temp folder. There will be a folder called something similar to "7zS1A52.tmp" that contains a program called H20FFT-W.

Use CTRL+F to search for "flag=2". You are looking for the one under [Bios_Version_Check]

Change this 2 to a 0 and save. You can then run the H2OFFT-W program and it will flash that version to your BIOS.

I can confirm that going back down to 1.10 solves the keyboard backlight issue. Someone on another thread suggested that Customer Services told them that it was an intended feature that helps extend the life of the backlight.

• AumShanti
    AumShanti Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    AMDKilla said:
    I can confirm that going back down to 1.10 solves the keyboard backlight issue.
    Did the same and reverted back to v1.10. Keyboard backlight issue is solved.
  • seb209
    seb209 Member Posts: 2 New User
    AumShanti said:
    AMDKilla said:
    I can confirm that going back down to 1.10 solves the keyboard backlight issue.
    Did the same and reverted back to v1.10. Keyboard backlight issue is solved.
    I want to confirm this method as well! This solved the backlight problem.
    Thank you!
  • Dootidoot
    edited November 2018
    AMDKilla said:

KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS UPDATE WAS TO SAVE THE LIFETIME OF THE BACKLIGHT
  • Loz
    Loz Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2018
    XXXXXXXXXX

Hi,
    Since I've upgraded my BIOS to V1.11 my keyboard LEDs no longer stays on when on AC power, and keep switching off which is very annoying. V1.10 was fine. This should be an option in the BIOS so I can choose.

Kind Regards
    ---------------------
    However, as I cannot wait any longer I rolled back, and confirm it works fine using the method described above by AMDkilla. Now my keys stay on, yay.

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• AMDKilla
    I have spoken to Acer Customer Services today and they have told me that the update should not have included anything to affect the back light. They have suggested that it is something only affecting my unit, but I've explained that it's not just me that is affected.
  • AMDKilla
    Acer tech support have been looking into this but still can't find the bug in the 1.11 firmware package. The only solution at this point is for me to install 1.11 again and have them collect it to test. I don't really want to part with it as I have no idea how long it will be gone for, and I use it every day.
  • zentiba
    zentiba Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

it affects me too. also the bios has bad acpi/irq tables. I have to disable acpi to boot linux
  • skylos
    skylos Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have the same problem and I tried downgrading to 1.10 using AMDKillas howto but it didn't work. I always get a file not found. I unpacked the .exe using 7-zip to extract the BIOS file and flash it from USB stick like Wisnialuk6 but there was no file in there that looked like a firmware file. So I'm stuck with 1.11. I would be realy grateful for any hint. The keyboard going dark all the time is driving me nuts.

• vkk
    vkk Member Posts: 82 Fixer WiFi Icon
    KEy board light turning off should happen only during battery .  Makes more sense to make this configurable in Nitro sense or some thing 
  • Atik4713
    Atik4713 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Hi guys,today finally I got the backlight on (when AC is plugged in) done.Obviously it was from BIOS Downgrading but interesting part is Service Centre got it done for me(free if lappy is in warranty).If u stay in Mumbai then it would be easier to get ur BIOS downgraded from them.
    This is the Service Centre's Address:-
    Acer Xpro Service Centre---
    290 ,Sahid Bhagat Singh Road, Market, Fort, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001
  • Atik4713
    Atik4713 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

AMDKilla said:
    Acer tech support have been looking into this but still can't find the bug in the 1.11 firmware package. The only solution at this point is for me to install 1.11 again and have them collect it to test. I don't really want to part with it as I have no idea how long it will be gone for, and I use it every day.

Hi guys,today finally I got the backlight on (when AC is plugged in) done.Obviously it was from BIOS Downgrading but interesting part is Service Centre got it done for me(free if lappy is in warranty).If u stay in Mumbai then it would be easier to get ur BIOS downgraded from them.
    This is the Service Centre's Address:-Acer Xpro Service Centre
  • skylos
    skylos Member Posts: 2 New User
    I just realized that Wisnialuk6 posted the fd file so I tried his method an can confirm that it works as advertised. Thank you very much!

This discussion has been closed.