LOW FPS ON GAMES Acer Nitro 5 515

VanillaSky1976
VanillaSky1976 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited December 2018 in Nitro Gaming
My son (13) saved money for 2 years and we bought Acer Nitro 5 515 Intel Core i5 8300H 2.30GHz 8GB 512GB SSD Linux 15.6" Full HD nVidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB P/N: NH.Q3XEX.011 - it had Linux on it so we bought Windows 10 Home edition...installed it well..then installed Steam and Ubisoft from which he plays Geometry Dash, Assassin's Creed and Fortnite, and adjusted all the settings in the NVIDIA control panel, so that it uses that card and not the integrated Intel card while playing games...and the fps is around 20 almost all the time!!! We even updated the BIOS because at first the laptop's monitor didn't recognize the 1060 NVIDIA - only Intel's graphic card...while the external monitor that we borrowed form a friend recognized it almost at once... We updated the drivers...it worked in 60 fps for a few days..now it's back to 20.... He is so sad I don't know what to do. It's a very expensive laptop here in Croatia...and he can't even play Geometry Dash properly... He played it better on my Toshiba satellite which has integrated graphic card..
Please help.

Answers

• Hahaha
    Hahaha Member Posts: 243 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Did you try to contact acer service centre ? The site shows a support page for croatia. 
  • Hahaha
    Also , when using external monitor did you get consistent 60fps ?
  • Hahaha
    edited December 2018
    Play games with the power cable plugged into the socket. Mine shows considerable increase in fps when plugged in. If not then-
    See if any one of the methods below help:

1.If you use a laptop on high graphics setting for too many hours on a stretch and use it on the bed or someplace with bad airflow it can cause drop in performance. Try downloading hw monitor and check the temperatures and clocks. Letting it run over 95C temp and going 3.4 ghz for long periods isn't healthy.
    2.Some people experienced this problem after windows updates. You might get some help from asking at microsoft community as well.

3. Link to hw monitor :
    https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html&ved=2ahUKEwiB9prt4Y3fAhUSfCsKHdXlD0gQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0Rm6Ozaes2YJeL-2PDMwXt

4.Otherwise steam may be causing the problem. Try playing other games, without involving steam and see how it goes.
    5. In nvidia control panel go to Manage 3D Settings. Under global settings, click on power management mode and select Prefer Maximum Performance.

• keshav_c17
    keshav_c17 Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    make sure that your Nvidia drivers are not on version 417.22 because people are reporting insanely low FPS on some Acer and Lenovo laptops and me myself facing this issue, i have Acer VX 15 and had to revert back to Nvidia Driver Version 417.01 for smooth performance. Fix for this issue will be provided in next Nvidia update till then revert back your drivers to version 417.01 and make sure you do clean installation.
  • VanillaSky1976

Tinkerer

Thank you a lot guys..I will consider all of your advices and if it doesn't help..I will contact Acer Service :)
  • blueee
    blueee Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Here's some suggestion for you

- Update all driver & windows to the latest version
    - Make sure you're plugged in when gaming
    - Go to NVDIA control panel, in manage 3D settings section, set it to high-performance NVDIA processor on the Global Setting
    - Then, go to Set PhysX Configuration and select GTX1060, APPLY

Hit the thumbs or like button if it helps, thanks!
  • VanillaSky1976

Tinkerer

We did all that allready and it's still the same ... 
  • VanillaSky1976

Tinkerer

We haven't contacted the Acer service..are they usefull?
  • blueee
    blueee Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

We haven't contacted the Acer service..are they usefull?
    Yes, maybe you can use the 2 years warranty, there might be some hardware failure or anything that makes the fps drop too low for your specification, acer can help you to replace to the new one, hope its helpful, thanks!
  • VanillaSky1976

Tinkerer

keshav_c17 how do you revert the updated drivers?
  • VanillaSky1976

Tinkerer

Hahaha we just used the external monitor to check if it recognizes the NVIDIA graphic card...but it showed that on the laptop's monitor the only option was Intel's integrated graphic card, and on the external it recognized the NVIDIA...if you switch off the Intel's graphic card, you will have a blue screen on laptop...and that's it...we haven't installed the Steam and the games when we tried it ...it's our firend's monitor, and we installed Windows 10 Home edition at that point...Laptop is 3 weeks with us, it has no programs on it, and the Windows are brand new...
  • keshav_c17
    edited December 2018
    keshav_c17 how do you revert the updated drivers?
    Simply uninstall the driver from Control Panel. In list of pragrams you will find "Nvidia Graphics Driver xxx.xx"  where x is equals to version of ur drivers. Follow the Uninstaller. and after successful un-installation go to Nvidia Drivers website download previously working driver which is v417.01 and during installation Choose "custom installation" and in next window choose "perform clean installation".
  • SalarX
    SalarX Member Posts: 45 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Sir no need to be disappointed it's a known issue also described here-
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1084450/geforce-drivers/big-fps-dropped-for-417-22-update/

The simple fix is not to use the latest driver. For that just uninstall the latest Driver from Settings -> Apps -> Apps & Features. After that install Driver Version 416.94 from here-
    https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/416.94/416.94-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe

If this doesn't solve the problem, feel free to report.
    If you feel I've helped you, give a Yes to Did this answer the question? 
    If you like my posts or comments, give a Like.
    My laptop is Acer Nitro 5 Spin (NP515-51). 
    I'm from India with love for technology, so message me if you want to discuss or ask a question  :3
  • Hahaha
    edited December 2018
    on a side note, is driver version 417.35 for gtx1050 alright to download ? I have been facing slightly  lower frames in witcher 3. It's unrelated I know...but knowing before download would be nice
  • keshav_c17
    Hahaha said:
    on a side note, is driver version 417.35 for gtx1050 alright to download ? I have been facing slightly  lower frames in witcher 3. It's unrelated I know...but knowing before download would be nice
    yeah 417.35 version is fine now. People are reporting that the fps drop issue is solved with 417.35 version
  • VanillaSky1976

Tinkerer

I've sent the laptop back to the store I bought it because it's under warranty, and has been bought three weeks ago...so let them check it first..they consider that it could be a harware problem...but we'll see....at this point I would be happiest if they return the money we paid...and that's it...I don't want to use something that has problems with drivers and stuff...and costs 1000 euros.

• CrystalHexagon
    CrystalHexagon Member Posts: 194 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Hey btw what happened did they return money or fixed your laptop ?
  • KarLUL
    KarLUL Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hahaha said:
    yeah 417.35 version is fine now. People are reporting that the fps drop issue is solved with 417.35 version
    sir, i have GTX 1650 with my Nitro 5. Should i downgrade my driver to that version? Currently Im in 451.48. Im experiencing low fps in dota 2
  • PrateekGurung
    PrateekGurung Member Posts: 1 New User
    I get low fps whenever i play game and it usually occure in between fight ......the fps drops from 110 or 90 to 5 or 10 something, in every game like valorant and gta 5. I have upgraded my ram to 16 gb from 8 gb's but still I m facing fps problem.

I have nitro 5 ryzen 5 quad core 3550H with 16gb ram and radon rx 560x with 1tb ram .
    what should i do ?