Aspire AXC-704 - 2nd 4GB RAM chip doesn't work, but works by itself

DarthLuch
DarthLuch Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Regarding a Aspire AXC-704 ... Which has two slots for RAM, and comes with one of them filled with a 4GB RAM chip.

The SN of the one the PC came with is: DIMM KN4GB0G029625037363000

As led by Crucial.com, i then purchased a 3rd party separate 4GB chip on Amazon. Info on it:
Brand: Timetec
Type: 4GB DDR3L 1600
SN: 76TT16NUSL2R8-4GB

But the computer doesn't start up when this chip is put into the additional slot. Here's the strange thing.. If I remove the original RAM chip that came with the PC, and put the Timetec chip in it's place, then it does work. In other words, the computer works fine with each chip works by itself (and thus with 4GB of RAM), but the the computer doesn't work with both.

I've tried updating the "control chipset" drivers and BIOS on the machine... No luck

Any suggestions/help appreciated

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Any hardware problem is covered by the warranty! I suggest you contact Acer support in the United Arab Emirates!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Did you try to disable fast start up in the power options before installing the new ram?

What version of bios is installed?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    I'm not positive, but I think your KN4GB stick is 1333MHz, not 1600MHz. Likely the two have to match speed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DarthLuch

Tinkerer

@billsey Is there a way to know for sure? I don't see anything on the KG4GB stick (that came with the PC) that indicates whether the speed is 1333Mhz or 1600MHz... Is it written somewhere on there, and I'm just not seeing it?

Also... I don't suppose you could direct me to the RAM that is 1333MhZ that I could buy, that would be compatible? The crucial.com website only leads me to the 1600MHZ one. Because I could then refund the 16000MHZ and just buy the 1333MHz one instead.
  • Download the program aida64:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DarthLuch

Tinkerer

To follow-up on your first post... I went head and disabled "fast startup"... still the same problem.

The BIOS update i had installed is version: R01.B3

I'm now going to try installing the aida64 program you mention so I can determine the speed of my existing RAM chip

• DarthLuch

Tinkerer

Below are screenshots of AIDA captures of each RAM chip. The first is the original, the second is the one I purchased.

Something I forgot to mention... Each of them only work in the first slot. Not sure if this means something is wrong with second slot or if it means the first slot must be filled first.

Also wanted to ask... If I were to purchase a single 8GB RAM chip, would that work? I'm willing to refund this purchased chip and buy whichever will enable me to get 8GB RAM working.

• What version of bios is installed on the notebook? Has your desktop previously came with bios r01.ax or r01.bx?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DarthLuch

Tinkerer

May I ask you this first... I see there's a single 8GB chip that is similar to the one I purchased.... Would that work, or must it be two 4GB chips?
  • Each slot supports a maximum of 4GB of RAM, see: 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DarthLuch

Tinkerer

One more question... Because I'm not good with messing with the BIOS, etc... And because the RAM chip is so cheap... What if I were to buy an additional 4GB chip, exactly like the one I just bought... and use both of those... Then would it work? Assuming it's not working because of some incompatibility between the two chips
  • I'm suspecting that the problem is in the second slot and not in the rams memories! I recommend you test the two memories in the other slot so that the possibility of being a problem on the motherboard is ruled out!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DarthLuch

Tinkerer

I did try each RAM chip in the 2nd slot, while leaving first slot empty... The same problem happens (computer doesn't start). The PC only starts with either of the RAM chips in the first slot.

I'll get the BIOS version and follow-up
    Thanks for all your help so far
  • Beware of bios versions! If your bios is r01.a1, it can not be upgraded to version r01.b1!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DarthLuch

Tinkerer

Using the "Acer Care Center" app... my BIOS version is: R01-B3
  • So I think there might be some problem with the second slot in ram!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DarthLuch

Tinkerer

Any ideas what I could do? Is this something that Acer could repair, etc?
  • I suggest you try to power reset to eliminate the static power that is preventing the second slot from detecting the memory.
    To do this, simply turn off your computer's power and press the power button for thirty seconds!
    Leave the computer off for about 10 minutes and see if ram memory is detected in the slot!
    If the problem persists, I suggest you try to clean the slot:
    However I'm not sure if the video shows the correct procedure. I think the best option would be to use 99% isopropyl alcohol! Do it at your own risk!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• DarthLuch

Tinkerer

Hello,
    Went through all the steps... the power-off procedure and the cleaning procedure, including using isopropyl alcohol... still no luck in getting the second slot to work.

Is it possible that this could be repaired? And covered under warranty, etc?

Or any other ideas?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Any hardware problem is covered by the warranty! I suggest you contact Acer support in the United Arab Emirates!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Post the result on the service center repair here to find out how the problem was solved!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer