AN515-53-52FA with super slow NVMe drive access

CivHunter
CivHunter Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I purchased an AN515-53-52FA from Best Buy, which comes with a 1TB HDD but no SSD. I then purchased a Western Digital Black 3D 500GB NVMe drive and installed in the AN515-53-52FA. I did a clean Windows 10 install onto the NVMe drive from the recovery USB disk I made from the original HDD before wiping it for a storage drive. I have all the latest drivers installed from Acer, Intel, and WD. The Western Digital SSD toolbox shows that I have PCE 3.0 x4 connections to the mother board. My bios is set it AHCI not Intel Optane for the NVMe drive.
Everything was working great until today. Now disk access to the NVMe drive is super slow. For instance the icons in the windows explorer window take forever to show up.
I've uninstalled bit defender and a couple other pieces of software, not that I'd installed anything in the last 24 hours. All I have now is a basic windows install, some steam games, blizzard games, etc. Also when I right click on anything the menu that pops up is blank. And while uninstalling programs I had to open and then minimize windows task manager to get anything more than a clear border to show up on the programs uninstall windows. 
I have also added a second 8GB of ram, same speed specs as the original, but that was 2 weeks ago and I've run a windows memory check which came back clean.
Any thoughts as to what might be causing this system lag?
Additional thought.... will have to try when I get a chance. Nvidia graphics driver was updated yesterday.... would this affect windows desk top and disk access speed???

Best Answer

• CivHunter
    Answer ✓
    I have gotten the responsiveness/speed of windows back. I uninstalled another piece of software that allowed me to remotely control my desktop computer with my Ace laptop. Even though I had disconnected from my desktop PC I think the software must have either been repeatedly trying to reconnect or it was still partially connected in a "keep alive" type of mode. Anyway, I wouldn't have guessed that was the issue but I just kept installing things yesterday until I got to that one.

As a second note I saw the WD Black 3D 500GB reach the temperature of 62°C(using WD SSD Dashboard software) while troubleshooting. Now this was AFTER I had uninstalled the remote control software, it was during a HHD benchmark test, and I never observed slow down like I had been seeing.

Again, thanks for your suggestions egydiocoelho. Have a great day!

Answers

• a) go to the power options and disable fast start up and restart the notebook:

This option when enabled is harmful to ssd!
    b) do a disk cleanup as administrator:

c) Download the crystaldiskinf program and check that trim is enabled on ssd;
    d) Although defragmentation is not recommended for ssd, I suggest you try defragging it;
    However updating the bios is a risky procedure and I do not take any responsibility for any damage:
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • CivHunter
    egydiocoelho,

Thank you for you suggestions! Unfortunately they did not solve my issue.

• CivHunter
    Answer ✓
    I have gotten the responsiveness/speed of windows back. I uninstalled another piece of software that allowed me to remotely control my desktop computer with my Ace laptop. Even though I had disconnected from my desktop PC I think the software must have either been repeatedly trying to reconnect or it was still partially connected in a "keep alive" type of mode. Anyway, I wouldn't have guessed that was the issue but I just kept installing things yesterday until I got to that one.

As a second note I saw the WD Black 3D 500GB reach the temperature of 62°C(using WD SSD Dashboard software) while troubleshooting. Now this was AFTER I had uninstalled the remote control software, it was during a HHD benchmark test, and I never observed slow down like I had been seeing.

Again, thanks for your suggestions egydiocoelho. Have a great day!