Upgrade to SSD for R3-131T?

inca_kola
inca_kola Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I copied my hard drive over to an SSD using a USB-SATA cable and opened up my laptop, only to find that there is no hard drive to remove, and apparently no SATA connection for an SSD? Is there a way around this or should I just return the SSD and forget it? Also, any suggestions on how to get my laptop to run faster and expand memory?  

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The ACER part# is 50.G0YN1.004 according to the specs. But the 50.mstn7.008 from compuparts looks like it should work too. My only concern about compuparts is that when I do their search for 50.G0YN1.004, the result is the right hinge. A google search of 50.G0YN1.004 shows its the HDD cable from all the other vendors. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    It should have a SATA3 connector on the mainboard and room for a 2.5" 7mm thick SSD and cable. You can try to order the installation cable and bracket kit free  here https://csapps.acer.com/kit-request/#submit  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• inca_kola

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    It should have a SATA3 connector on the mainboard and room for a 2.5" 7mm thick SSD and cable. You can try to order the installation cable and bracket kit free  here https://csapps.acer.com/kit-request/#submit  Jack E/NJ

I tried to submit the form but it says my serial number is "not valid for this form"
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    Was the machine purchased in US or Canada? Your serial number is listed in the command prompt by entering "wmic bios get serialnumber" without the quotes. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• inca_kola

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Was the machine purchased in US or Canada? Your serial number is listed in the command prompt by entering "wmic bios get serialnumber" without the quotes. Jack E/NJ
    Purchased in the US. I have the serial number but it's not under warranty anymore, if that makes a difference when ordering the kit.
  • JackE
    It shouldn't. Does the site allow you to send a message to ask why? If not, you really only need to nest the SSD in the space using antistat foam instead of a bracket to protect and immobilize it. Then purchase a standard internal SATA3 cable long enough to reach from the mainboard connector to the back of the SSD. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• inca_kola

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    It shouldn't. Does the site allow you to send a message to ask why? If not, you really only need to nest the SSD in the space using antistat foam instead of a bracket to protect and immobilize it. Then purchase a standard internal SATA3 cable long enough to reach from the mainboard connector to the back of the SSD. Jack E/NJ
    No, it just has the regular Contact Us for, nothing else. :-/ Is this the right cord? 
    https://www.compupartsolutions.com/50.MSTN7.008?gclid=Cj0KCQiArqPgBRCRARIsAPwlHoUNIN4j3VGCy89Pp7vwEYEMcQogq6V27NiQP2HYHzQsdbjwb2sq9lEaAoMbEALw_wcB
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    The ACER part# is 50.G0YN1.004 according to the specs. But the 50.mstn7.008 from compuparts looks like it should work too. My only concern about compuparts is that when I do their search for 50.G0YN1.004, the result is the right hinge. A google search of 50.G0YN1.004 shows its the HDD cable from all the other vendors. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    >>>I copied my hard drive over to an SSD using a USB-SATA cable >>>

One other thing. I hope you really didn't mean 'copy'. You must either clone, make an image of or otherwise transfer the system on the emmc to the SSD using freeware programs like Macrium Reflect or AOMEI Backupper. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• inca_kola

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I copied my hard drive over to an SSD using a USB-SATA cable >>>

One other thing. I hope you really didn't mean 'copy'. You must either clone, make an image of or otherwise transfer the system on the emmc to the SSD using freeware programs like Macrium Reflect or AOMEI Backupper. Jack E/NJ
    Yes, sorry, I meant clone! And thanks for the part number, I'll look that up!