Unable to install Ubuntu in my NITRO AN512-42

mrinal_senapati
mrinal_senapati Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 20 in 2019 Archives
Hi,
i am trying to install ubuntu 16.04 version in dual boot with windows 10,but whenever i have tried to install,it goes into  dark screen .please tell me a way to install ubuntu.

Answers

• Rik04
    Rik04 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Windows 10 usually has the dual boot problem.....can you tell what steps you have taken till now to do it?
  • Exceed
    Exceed Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

same problem installing Linux "Tara" Cinamon x64.
  • JackAwsome2000
    JackAwsome2000 Member Posts: 1 New User
    qwertyfmt said:
    I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R8SH, since there's no AN512-42, I'm going to presume you misspelled and you have the same machine I do (Ryzen with Radeon 560X).

1. I'll assume you currently have Windows 10 installed.

2. Go to https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7605?b=1 and upgrade your BIOS. (You can easily do this if you have a Windows installed).

3. When you burn your OS (Ubuntu 16/18, Elementary, or any Ubuntu derived distribution) onto the USB stick, go to WHATEVER_USB_DRIVE_LETTER:\boot\grub and open the "grub.cfg" file. There you will see all possible options to run on boot, so go there and look for every line that contains "quiet splash", and right after splash, add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2".

I'll give you an example,
    Before:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash ---
    After:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 ---

There is a firmware problem with internal routing and memory tables. This fix applies to all AN515-42 models with latest BIOS.

4. Restart your PC, try to boot your newly installed Linux, notice it will fail.

5. Restart your PC and boot the USB stick (F12 key).

6. So now, you boot the USB stick again and select "Try Ubuntu / Elementary / whatever".

7. Click on the file browser and go to your installed Linux drive, the file browser will automount the partition, and go to /boot/grub (/media/ubuntu/some-serial-number-123123123/boot/grub). Careful! There will be YOUR_USB_DRIVE/boot/grub, YOUR_CURRENT_LINUX_SESSION/boot/grub, MOUNTED_PARTITION_FROM_PREVIOUS_LINUX_BOOT/boot/grub, and you want the last one.

8. Open grub.cfg and redo what you did at point 3.

9. Whenever using "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y", as in whenever you upgrade your Linux, make sure the "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2" doesn't get removed from "/boot/grub/grub.cfg"!!! This can happen when grub gets upgraded. To try and avoid this, go to /usr/lib/grub-legacy/update-grub and look for defoptions="quiet splash" and add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2". Also in the /etc/default/grub look for the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash" and add make it GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2"

10. Restart, pull out USB stick, and enjoy your Linux.

11. Optionally, wherever you see quiet splash you can delete quiet splash, if you want to see verbose logs whenever booting, instead of the logo splash loader.

PS: Let me know if it worked.
    Yo you are a wizard, thanks! How did you figure all this out? I was only using the "nomodeset" argument, which only worked in another distro (Kali) and pretty much broke all graphics. Your solution helped me get Ubuntu 18.10 running on my laptop (although I only added the parameters in grub instead of editing the file you were talking about)
  • qwertyfmt
    qwertyfmt Member Posts: 4 New User
    I really needed the Linux security for my web dev projects :)) So I researched the internet for a while. I'm glad it helped you!
  • vkk
    vkk Member Posts: 82 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Useful post and info shared by @qwertyfmt. Just to add does suspend and hibernate work on Ubuntu 18.10 ?I've heard that power draw is considerably high on Ubuntu and lack of acpi causes some  random crashes.. thanks
  • zentiba
    zentiba Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

does anyone know if they are going to send out a bios update with better acpi compatibility for Linux? I don't like having to turn it off. i'm not worried about the keyboard bug, but it would be nice if they fixed that too xD
  • qwertyfmt
    Yea, there are definitely random crashes. Sleep's a no-go, hence it drains the battery faster.
  • qwertyfmt
    edited December 2018
    No BIOS update yet
  • snowcrash
    snowcrash Member Posts: 1 New User
    qwertyfmt said:
    I have an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42-R8SH, since there's no AN512-42, I'm going to presume you misspelled and you have the same machine I do (Ryzen with Radeon 560X).

2. Go to https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7605?b=1 and upgrade your BIOS. (You can easily do this if you have a Windows installed).

3. When you burn your OS (Ubuntu 16/18, Elementary, or any Ubuntu derived distribution) onto the USB stick, go to WHATEVER_USB_DRIVE_LETTER:\boot\grub and open the "grub.cfg" file. There you will see all possible options to run on boot, so go there and look for every line that contains "quiet splash", and right after splash, add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2".

Before:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash ---
    After:
    linux /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 ---

There is a firmware problem with internal routing and memory tables. This fix applies to all AN515-42 models with latest BIOS.

4. Restart your PC, try to boot your newly installed Linux, notice it will fail.

6. So now, you boot the USB stick again and select "Try Ubuntu / Elementary / whatever".

7. Click on the file browser and go to your installed Linux drive, the file browser will automount the partition, and go to /boot/grub (/media/ubuntu/some-serial-number-123123123/boot/grub). Careful! There will be YOUR_USB_DRIVE/boot/grub, YOUR_CURRENT_LINUX_SESSION/boot/grub, MOUNTED_PARTITION_FROM_PREVIOUS_LINUX_BOOT/boot/grub, and you want the last one.

9. Whenever using "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y", as in whenever you upgrade your Linux, make sure the "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2" doesn't get removed from "/boot/grub/grub.cfg"!!! This can happen when grub gets upgraded. To try and avoid this, go to /usr/lib/grub-legacy/update-grub and look for defoptions="quiet splash" and add "acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2". Also in the /etc/default/grub look for the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash" and add make it GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="quiet splash acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2"

11. Optionally, wherever you see quiet splash you can delete quiet splash, if you want to see verbose logs whenever booting, instead of the logo splash loader.

This is the most comprehensive answer I have seen by far. Do you know whether this would work for the Predator 300 Helios (i7-8750)?
  • vkk
    If you're having ACPI issues with the Intel chipset , you could try some of this settings i.e. ' acpi=noirq pci=noacpi ' . Im not sure about the  ivrs  sections .  Is Acer's BIOS buggy across chipsets ?
  • vkk
    edited December 2018
    dschulten said:
    That's a very detailed bug report 👍
  • vkk
    dschulten said:
    Was there any update from acer support on patching their  BIOS ?  In the current situation  there are frequent  lock ups and freezes while running  Ubuntu/Kali  due to improper  ACPI &  APM   bios implementation . 
  • C3lv1c3
    C3lv1c3 Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Worked for linux mint... doesn't work on fedora.
    Also linux mint feels very slow, any tutorial how to install the amd-drivers on the nitro 5 (beginner friendly)?
  • Nairam03
    Nairam03 Member Posts: 1 New User
    qwertyfmt said:

Before:
    After:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555251/unable-to-install-ubuntu-in-my-nitro-an512-42?breakffcache=35612 10. Restart, pull out USB stick, and enjoy your Linux.

Hi there,
    I a 15 years windows user and i would like to try install linux mint on my new laptop and when i tought that i finnally found a solution for instaling linux mint on my new acer an515-42-r7fk, at the 7th step(mentioned above) i noticed that i can't modify grub file. It is write protected by root. It is a read only file so when i go to devices directory/mounted partition/boot/grub/grub.cfg, i don't have any solution to add the acpi text to the file.
    Can someone, please helpme with any solution to my problem?

Thank you for any suggestion!

• Nitroshott
    Nitroshott Member Posts: 1 New User
    qwertyfmt said:

Before:
    After:

MOUNTED_PARTITION_FROM_PREVIOUS_LINUX_BOOT/boot/grub cant edit the grub.cfg as it is in readonly mode
  • Hodor
    Hodor Member Posts: 2 New User
    qwertyfmt said:

Before:
    After:

Could you share your great knowledge same for install kali linux i'm tired to insatall kali linux in my same system Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 
    and i've already latest updated BIOS  so pls tell me detail solution how to install kali linux.
    i'm already enrolled to cyber 
    Security program teacher told me install kali linux but all time when i try to install always failed.
    so pls guide me with your 
    precious knowledge. 
    Thanks.
  • RA41785
    RA41785 Member Posts: 1 New User
    How to install parrot os 4.5.1 in acer nitro AN515-52.There is a problem coming will install parrot os in this laptop.
  • C3lv1c3
    C3lv1c3 Member Posts: 48 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    It's already several month.... is there already any PERMANENT fix?