Helios 300 - FPS dropped to 5 - 15 fps out of nowhere

MickyOr
MickyOr Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I used to play at 60 fps.  From one day to another every demanding game became unplayable running at 5 -10 fps and not getting higher :/

I tried updating the Intel and nvidia drivers but it didn't fix it. What can I do to identify de problem?

nvidia gtx 1060
drivers updated through geforce experience, disabled game overlay and battery boost with no effect afterwards

Best Answers

• MickyOr

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    [SOLVED] It was the NVIDIA driver (4.17.22), installed an old one and everything is working fine. That was really annoying.

Thanks for the help everyone!
  • MickyOr

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    How to uninstall and reinstall old drivers please help me I am new .... please I am aslo facing this problem 
    At the bottom there's an option "Beta and Older Drivers", go there; then select your model, a list of drivers will appear, select the 417.01 driver.

After downloading, just install it and it will replace the new one. Hope it solves the problem for you too.

Answers

• ACustomer1234
    ACustomer1234 Member Posts: 33 Troubleshooter
    Check your Windows Power configuration.  Make sure your CPU and GPU are set to 100% and not "optimize battery"
  • MickyOr

Tinkerer

Check your Windows Power configuration.  Make sure your CPU and GPU are set to 100% and not "optimize battery"
    I changed the power plan to High Performance which changed every advanced power seting for best performance if that's what you are refering to.

• MickyOr

Tinkerer

Using nvidia inspector I noticed that the clock never goes avobe 600 MHz, it always stays there and when I start a game the GPU Load goes to 100%

I'll search to see if it's a common problem but, does anyone know what this means?

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited December 2018
    MickyOr said:
    I changed the power plan to High Performance which changed every advanced power seting for best performance if that's what you are refering to.

High performance plan only puts CPU at 100% all the time thereby increasing temps. Customize the power plan to your liking. Optimize windows by disabling and uninstalling unnecessary services. You could even take off everything off windows store, including the store itself.
    Also you can try undervolting CPU and GPU - these two reduce heat and increase performance.
    Click on my username above and you can see posts by me. I have a few posts (created by me) that outline how to do this.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • MickyOr

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    [SOLVED] It was the NVIDIA driver (4.17.22), installed an old one and everything is working fine. That was really annoying.

Thanks for the help everyone!
  • MickyOr

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    MickyOr said:

High performance plan only puts CPU at 100% all the time thereby increasing temps. Customize the power plan to your liking. Optimize windows by disabling and uninstalling unnecessary services. You could even take off everything off windows store, including the store itself.
    Also you can try undervolting CPU and GPU - these two reduce heat and increase performance.
    Click on my username above and you can see posts by me. I have a few posts (created by me) that outline how to do this.
    Thanks for the tips man, I'll check your posts! That will probably be really useful in my older laptop.
  • reaLEtyx
    reaLEtyx Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    @MickyOr
    How did you get an older version of the nvidia driver?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    reaLEtyx said:
    @MickyOr
    nvidia geforce website of course

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• MickyOr

Tinkerer

reaLEtyx said:
    @MickyOr
    Go to Beta and Older Drivers at the bottom of the page

• gourab6512
    gourab6512 Member Posts: 9 New User
    How to uninstall and reinstall old drivers please help me I am new .... please I am aslo facing this problem 
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    The most trouble-free way I have found is Uninstalling the nvidia GPU device through Device Manager, rebooting, and then installing your old driver. The Intel graphics should carry you over.

If you attempt even a 'Clean' install over top of the new driver, it will likely crash. At least, that's been my experience. Not the end of the world, just more unnecessary rebooting and installing if it does crash.
  • MickyOr

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    At the bottom there's an option "Beta and Older Drivers", go there; then select your model, a list of drivers will appear, select the 417.01 driver.

After downloading, just install it and it will replace the new one. Hope it solves the problem for you too.