Plugging in/out the laptop charger stops intenet connection for 10-20s. Why?

R3DPanda
R3DPanda Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have a A715-72G-704Q. Its only a few months old and basically when I plug in the charger, my internet stops responding for 10-20s. Plugging out does the same thing. The wifi diesn't disconnect but sites don't load and I get a massive lag spike or get disconnected from games. Its nothing new the laptop always had a few issues but this one is consistant and very annoying. I tried installing different drivers with the program Driver Booster but it didn't make a difference.

Never came across such a bug. If anyone could help me I would be grateful.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open Device Manager. Click on the batteries folder near the top. Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method driver. Exit. Reboot and let Windows reinstall the driver. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• R3DPanda
    JackE said:
    Open Device Manager. Click on the batteries folder near the top. Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method driver. Exit. Reboot and let Windows reinstall the driver. Jack E/NJ
    Didn't help.
  • JackE
    Press WINkey + Rkey. Enter msinfo32.exe. On the right, what BIOS version number is installed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• R3DPanda
    edited December 2018
    JackE said:
    Press WINkey + Rkey. Enter msinfo32.exe. On the right, what BIOS version number is installed? Jack E/NJ
    BIOS-Version/-Date Insyde Corp. V1.19, 13.07.2018

It is the latest one according to: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7627?b=1
  • JackE
    When did you purchase the machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• R3DPanda
    JackE said:
    When did you purchase the machine? Jack E/NJ
    Like late September or early November this year.
  • JackE
    What happens when leave the charger plugged into the jack but pull the wall plug? Trying to determine if its a physical issue vs electronic issue with the plug or jack Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• R3DPanda
    JackE said:
    What happens when leave the charger plugged into the jack but pull the wall plug? Trying to determine if its a physical issue vs electronic issue with the plug or jack Jack E/NJ

Tried twice. Second time even windows noticed that there is no internet. I used http://www.meter.net/ping-test/ to see when the connection stops. It hapens like 1s after I plug it out, so its not even instant.
  • JackE
    Yeah, the smoothing capacitor takes moment to discharge. OK. Open Control Panel. Search button. Select change what the power buttons do in the left panel. Click on change settings that aren't available. Scoll down the list and uncheck turn on fast startup to disable fast boot. Reboot. If it resolves the problem, leave the machine in this slower cold boot mode since it might also solve some other annoyances and issues that arise in the future.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• R3DPanda
    JackE said:
    Yeah, the smoothing capacitor takes moment to discharge. OK. Open Control Panel. Search button. Select change what the power buttons do in the left panel. Click on change settings that aren't available. Scoll down the list and uncheck turn on fast startup to disable fast boot. Reboot. If it resolves the problem, leave the machine in this slower cold boot mode since it might also solve some other annoyances and issues that arise in the future.  Jack E/NJ
    That didn't fix the issue eather. The laptop just takes tiny but longer to start. I guess its an electrical issue. Probably a defect on all models. Tha laptop actually ran Doom(video game) on 90C°+ from day 1 and so I had to undervolt to make it more efficient(now 70-80C°)
    And disabling the undervolt doesn't fix it eather.

I also found out that very slightly touching the charger and the connector couses lag spikes. Could I fix it by adding something to the charger to make it more "smooth".

I also still have this issue: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/552141/my-aspire-7-makes-a-constant-noise-when-plugged-in-and-couses-wifi-diconnections#latest (that you previously answered). They may be connected.
  • JackE
    >>>I also found out that very slightly touching the charger and the connector couses lag spikes. Could I fix it by adding something to the charger to make it more "smooth".>>>

This might be a static electricity issue or the charger case is not isolated from the AC mains. Does it cause spikes every time you slightly touch the charger which would indicate an AC leak? Or just once in a while which would indicate static electricity buildup. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• R3DPanda
    edited December 2018
    JackE said:
    >>>I also found out that very slightly touching the charger and the connector couses lag spikes. Could I fix it by adding something to the charger to make it more "smooth".>>>

This might be a static electricity issue or the charger case is not isolated from the AC mains. Does it cause spikes every time you slightly touch the charger which would indicate an AC leak? Or just once in a while which would indicate static electricity buildup. Jack E/NJ   
    Its consistant. Even if it very rarely doesn't stop my internet it WILL couse at least a big lag spike.
    About the touching - it eather stops my internet or couses a lag spike.

I'm still a newbie electrician. How do I fix it? Can I buy something like an adapter to plug in the wall, between the wall and the charger? (EU Sockets)
  • JackE
    If touching the charger case always causes a spike or worse, then the case isn't properly isolated from either the AC input or DC output. Stop using the charger. Request a replacement charger under warranty repair. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• R3DPanda
    edited December 2018
    JackE said:
    If touching the charger case always causes a spike or worse, then the case isn't properly isolated from either the AC input or DC output. Stop using the charger. Request a replacement charger under warranty repair. Jack E/NJ 
    I think you misunderstood me there a lottle bit. I meant - not plugging the charger in properly in the laptop, just plugging in the end of it. I thought maybe then there would be more resistance and less power going in, which could maybe be less of a power spike(I thought).

Are you sure its the charger? It has seen prettymuch no external damage. It's just like new. I don't see any corrosion on the contacts and the electrical noise when plugged in is coming from the laptop. The charger box gets a bit toasty but its silent.
  • JackE
    You said earlier>>>About the touching - it eather stops my internet or couses a lag spike.>>>

Then what did you mean by this earlier statement? When the charger is already plugged in, and you touch the charger, does it always spike or not? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• R3DPanda
    edited December 2018
    JackE said:
    You said earlier>>>About the touching - it eather stops my internet or couses a lag spike.>>>

Then what did you mean by this earlier statement? When the charger is already plugged in, and you touch the charger, does it always spike or not? Jack E/NJ

Yea sorry you misunderstood me there. I meant touching the laptops charging port with the chargers jack. It doesnt matter tho. It does the same as plugging it in and out.

Touching the charger(anywhere) when its plugged in couses no issues.
  • JackE
    >>>I meant touching the laptops charging port with the chargers jack>>>

OK. But I still suspect something is wrong with the charger. Open Device Manager again. Batteries folder. Uninstall the Microsoft AC adapter. Exit. Reboot. Also, you said earlier>>> Its nothing new the laptop always had a few issues but this one is consistant and very annoying.>>>
    What other issues?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• R3DPanda
    edited December 2018
    JackE said:
    >>>I meant touching the laptops charging port with the chargers jack>>>

OK. But I still suspect something is wrong with the charger. Open Device Manager again. Batteries folder. Uninstall the Microsoft AC adapter. Exit. Reboot. Also, you said earlier>>> Its nothing new the laptop always had a few issues but this one is consistant and very annoying.>>>
    What other issues?

Jack E/NJ

Like the laptop ran very hot and loud when gaming(fans are fine). Sometimes when I leave the laptop and the sceen turns off, it won't wake back up and I have to close the lid, wait a few seconds and then open the lid again. I think the display turns off way before windows goes to sleep, so I have to make it sleep and then wake it up again for the display to come back on.
  • JackE
    Hot and loud fans under heavy gaming load is normal. Anything under about 95*C CPU/GPU temps are normal nowadays. The display behavior is also normal if you haven't got it set to never go off in your power plan. Have you tried uninstalling the MS AC adapter yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• R3DPanda
    edited December 2018
    JackE said:
    Hot and loud fans under heavy gaming load is normal. Anything under about 95*C CPU/GPU temps are normal nowadays. The display behavior is also normal if you haven't got it set to never go off in your power plan. Have you tried uninstalling the MS AC adapter yet? Jack E/NJ

Yes I uninstalled both drivers under the battery tab and restarted and it didn't fix it.