Acer Aspire ES 15 - Randomly freezes

Charlie_Durham
Charlie_Durham Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Dear all,

I do hope that one of you will be able to help me with the issues I've been having with my Acer Aspire ES 15 (ES1-533-C0DK).

I've had it since late December 2016. It was a Christmas gift, so I imagine that my family bought it in late November or early December 2016.

It uses Windows 10.

I don't remember when it started, but it randomly freezes on me now - to the point it drives me a bit mad. All I can do to fix it is hit the power button. I know it freezes - it's nothing wrong with the Touchpad (or Mouse) as the clock freezes too, and nothing happens when I close it and open it up again. (If it happens when I'm either listening to music or watching a movie, the screen freezes and the sound is just buzzing loudly.)

When I say 'randomly' - I really mean randomly. I'm not doing anything particular when it freezes, as it freezes during all sort of activities. It can be when I log into my email, or my online calendar, or when I'm typing in Word. Sometimes when it's in screensaver mode or 'sleeping' and sometimes when I'm doing nothing - just being at the desktop with no programs open. Sometimes it can freeze quite quickly after I've started it up, and sometimes it can take several hours.

Sometimes 1-2 weeks can pass without it freezing, and sometimes it can freeze up to 3-4 times a day.

It is fully updated - at least I can't seem to find any non-installed updates. I've used different diagnostic tools, and there seems to be nothing wrong with the HDD or RAM. I've scanned it for virus (Avast Antivirus) and it can't find anything. I've also tried resetting the whole laptop (to factory settings) but that did not work either.

I think I've been able to describe all the essential details, but if there is anything else, please don't hesitate to ask. If there is any sort of 'internal function' or other external program that I haven't tried, which you think I should, please tell me. I'm willing to try.

I would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks and kind regards!

Best Answer

• kanga
    kanga Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    I have a Aspire 5750 with random freezes and similar to others and it can freeze several times a day or every few days. I had a 500gb sata drive, replaced with 240gb SSD drive and it made no difference. Tried various Windows 8 and 10 versions with fresh installs and it made no difference.
    I replaced old ram with new and ran various anti-virus and malware programs, with no improvement. Also changing from Acer to Windows drivers still gave same problem.
    I truly believe it is a graphics motherboard glitch and my freezes have happened when the PC is not attended and the screen keyboard and mouse just freeze and a windows reboot is necessary. When not using the Aspire, the screen display must turn off to a black screen.
    The best way to do this is to go to Windows control panel and open "power options". Select "change plan settings" and set "turn off display" to 1 minute.
    In Windows, I set power settings to "high performance" (for setup, select "create a power plan"). Turn off hard disk-480 mins +, sleep and hibernate-never, intel graphics power plan-balanced, pci express, link state power management-off, display, turn off display-after 1 minute and enable adaptive brightness-off.
    Since applying these settings, I have not had a single freeze.
    I would like to add that my Acer always runs cool with no overheating problems and the bios is updated to latest. Also, Windows Updates and Windows Defender settings are set off.

Answers

• NAQUISTE
    NAQUISTE Member Posts: 1 New User
    This also happens to me just got mine a few months ago buzzing and hard reset needed. Very random.
  • aZmucMj9
    aZmucMj9 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I'm having the same problem too (on Roblox and Roblox Studio) if you've got any advice comment on this video: https://youtu.be/oGvOXREHC80  :)
  • ryanb
    ryanb Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having this exact same problem!  Really annoying as hard resets is the only thing that works.....
  • Hjsi
    Hjsi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Charlie.   Did you get this fixed as I'm having the same issues? Thanks. 
  • dusnou
    dusnou Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I had the same problem. One thing is important; You have to make an system restore point from the 3 things ('" C "=system , if possible "D "=Data and "reset button"). Remove old restore points or maybe there allready is an restore point because the laptop does this also automatic. Look at advanced system settings . I hope I was able to help
  • richthornton53
    richthornton53 Member Posts: 1 New User
    You are all not alone with this problem, I also have an Aspire ES1-512, that freezes randomly. It can go all day and not freeze, and then it can freeze every 5 minutes on some days. It went back to Acer over a year ago, and they replaced the hard drive under warranty. After a few months it started doing it again. I don't use it very often, infact it's become unusable. I think the answer for all of us is to throw it in the trash, and buy a HP or a Dell. 
  • Peter_J_King
    Peter_J_King Member Posts: 1 New User
    I don't know if it's worth posting here, as it seems like just a place to let off steam, with no hope of any actual help.  For what it's worth, my Aspire A315-31 has started freezing, roughly two months after purchase.  It's not entirely random, in that it's only happened when I'm not actually using the keyboard or mouse, though it can happen very soon after I stop typing.  Aside from the freezing (which can happen many times a day, and can only be cured by pressing the Power button), I sometimes leave the machine for a few minutes, come back, and find that it's rebooted.  All the on-board diagnostics say that everything's perfect.

It looks as though I'll have to return it under warranty, and buy something from Dell (I wouldn't touch HP -- even lower morals than most big companies).
  • kaygoldie
    kaygoldie Member Posts: 1 New User
    this is happening to my acer es15  and i dont know how to fix it
  • PitbullDad
    PitbullDad Member Posts: 3 New User
    Same stuff, different day
  • dusnou
    dusnou Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I had the same problem but now I am started to deleting Abdocks,Pokki,AOP Framework, Acer Quick access and some other things I did not use. Also I started to use firefox and I think that it helped.( At least untill now). I hope it stays that way and maybe it will help you too...
  • Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

We apologize for any inconvenient you are having with your computer.

If your system is freezing, there are a variety of factors that may cause Windows to temporarily freeze or lock up. The two most common are Windows updates running or installing in the background, or a software issue such as mal-ware or corrupted system files. Please try some of the suggestions below, and provide additional feedback so we can help get your system running smoothly again.

1. How to check if Windows updates may be slowing down your system.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/54907

2. Perform Windows fresh start to keep all of your data, but restore files that are vital to Windows.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57872

3. Perform a hard disk diagnostic check in Acer care center.

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34575

Please try these suggestions and report back to us, so we can continue to troubleshoot. If Windows updates are still downloading or installing, you may need to let them completely download and install to achieve optimal system performance.

Regards,

Acer-Karp.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • jlpoel
    jlpoel Member Posts: 1 New User
    I ran out of fingers counting how many times my ACER laptop froze today. To read the suggestion from the Acer Team member that the blame is not in their corner is pathetic! They welcome their customer feed back? This problem has dogged me from the day I bought the demon. Very frustrating to work with. Definitely by first and LAST ACER!
  • Cam_Chan
    Cam_Chan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi Acer Karp...I have tried all 3 steps you mentioned on Dec 11 but the problem persists.  After I have done the step 2, it seems fine as the PC is not frozen for almost an hour during idle....just for the first hour (finally I found out the laptop is updating "window updates").  When I restart the laptop, same issue again....when the laptop idle 5 minutes...then freezes....I restart again...then 5 min...freezes again....now the window updates are the latest one....and I don't think I have any garbage app in the laptop now....I have even gone to the battery safer....the laptop now "never sleep"....I read all the comments from Googles...it seems that it is acer + windows issue.... any further suggestion? or get a new laptop (of course no more ACER) on boxing day?
  • Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru
    We apologise for the inconvenient you are having with your unit.
    In this case, we suggest you send your unit to repair so the technician can diagnose the issue for you.

Regards,
    Acer-Karp.

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • Cam_Chan
    Cam_Chan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello Acer-Karp,

Thank you for your suggestion.  My laptop is over warranty.  I bought this laptop for my wife for more than 2 years.  We don't realize this issue until the current 3 months as my wife is using this PC more often for homework since she is back to college.  I don't think I will send it to repair.  I hope Acer will look into this case as not only me suffer in the same issue.

• Noahjose
    Noahjose Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Check if your files are corrupted. If they are, make a backup and get your hdd replaced asap. 
  • tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Member Posts: 2 New User
    My Acer ES15 (ES1-533-P47G) has also been doing this more recently. It did it last year as well (I bought it in September 2017), with the clock stopped updating and the display and mouse froze and it is now doing it more.

I am now on Windows 10 build 1809 with all the updates, and Care Center application says hard disc and battery are fine. I have also updated the BIOS to 1.18 from 1.10 with no apparent benefit.

It seems to do it more when the mains adapter is plugged in.

I don't think that it is malware since I have AVG Internet Security, AVG Tune-up and Malwarebytes Antimalware installed as well as Norton Security, and they all say that my laptop is clean.

Thoughts?

Happy New Year all.

Kind regards,
        Tony  
  • Calcutt
    Calcutt Member Posts: 1 New User
    Acer laptop has been reloaded with Windows 10 and drivers from Acer worked good for 3 days then started to lock up.. This unit was an Windows 7 with a upgrade to 10 up to 2 months ago was working fine . Seems that it last longer (not locking up) on bat and at no set time it will lock up. Any help would be greatly appreciated oh yes and I have 2 of these machines with the windows 10 updates it does the same thing  Ugg
  • ChrisTheatreTrips
    ChrisTheatreTrips Member Posts: 2 New User
    My Aspire E5-15 has also started freezing when left with no key presses or use of touch pad for a short time. If I send it to Sleep setting it is fine for hours. Has no one cracked this problem yet? It is obviously a widely met problem so come on Acer, sort it out please.
This discussion has been closed.