Aspire 8735G booting failure

beskhu3epnm
beskhu3epnm Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi. I recently received a Aspire 8735G laptop from my friend who was throwing it away. He said the keyboard was a bit dodgy but otherwise it was in working condition. I was excited to give it a try as it was a high-end gaming laptop in it's time and is enormous in size for a laptop. But I found that the CPU and RAM were missing. I purchased the missing parts and installed them, but upon boot the fans kick into action but after ten seconds the computer abruptly shuts off. I've noticed that each retry decreases the amount of time it stays on for (from 10sec to 6sec). The screen doesn't turn on, however plugging it into an external monitor through the VGA port displays a black screen with a single blinking cursor in the top left.

I went through the usual procedure of holding the power button to discharge electricity, and carefully inspecting everything inside as well as replacing the CMOS battery. I can verify that the CPU, SSD, battery and cables are functional and the motherboard looks in good condition. I'm a little uncertain about the RAM. I bought a 1GB 1066MHz DDR3 stick. But have also tried some other DDR3 sticks from other laptops of different capacities.

After retrying in many different configurations, sometimes the laptop beeps upon startup, sometimes once, sometimes as much as four times. I could buy a new GPU, or the official RAM, or another motherboard on a whim, but it might be a waste of money.

What do you think about this problem and can you help me find a solution?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>I can verify that the CPU, SSD, battery and cables are functional >>>laptop beeps upon startup, sometimes once, sometimes as much as four times

How did you verify the battery is functional? 1 startup BIOS beep is normal. 4 short bios beeps suggests a bad or failing battery. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beskhu3epnm
    @JackE Ok I did not confirm the battery is in good condition. But I did try booting the computer with and without the battery and it yielded the same results. Also, the battery held a charge after charging. For the sake of troubleshooting I just boot the laptop without the battery now to cancel it out as the cause of the problem.
  • Darlenemiles
    Darlenemiles Member Posts: 1 New User
    Marvelous offer decent to peruse this extremely supportive data for me I am exceptionally cheerful to part of this network continue sharing you may likewise like this no crop for instagram apk

• JackE
    The fact that the CPU, RAM & graphics card were missing suggests it was a parts machine with a dead mainboard. The RAM stick specs you used sounds OK. What CPU did you try to use? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• beskhu3epnm
    @JackE I just bought the default CPU to be on the safe side. The Intel Core 2 Duo T6600.
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    OK. At this point, if you're only seeing a monitor cursor and no ACER logo screen, the only thing I can think of trying is to flash the BIOS with the ACER download v1.07 using the FN+ESC cold USB bootstick method.  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/1782?b=1  There might a chance that the machine's BIOS chip was bricked in the past by a failed flash.   Google "phoenix bios recovery" for the bios mods directions except for use the FN+ESC method. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ