Power cannot be turned on on Aspire R14

Geroje
Geroje Member Posts: 6 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
I opened the back cover of Aspire R14 to replace the HD with a SSD. After I installed the new SSD and put the back cover on with all the screws, the laptop could not be turned on, regardless if I used internal battery or power supply plugged in. When the power supply is plugged in, the right LED light in front is ON with solid blue light. When the power supply is unplugged, the light turns off. Regardless of power supply connection, when I push the power button on the side, the left LED light in front blinks in blue color, nothing else happens. If I hold the power button for about 4 sec, the left LED light is turned off. It dose not affect the right LED light. I checked all the connections on the PCB and didn't find any issue. I tried to press the battery reset button for 5 sec or longer on the back. It didn't help.  I also re-installed the original HD. Power still cannot be turned on. How to trouble shoot and fix it? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Can you try to operate the system on a non-conductive surface with the back cover off and original HDD installed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Geroje
    I tried it and it didn't work. Same symptom.
  • JackE
    Not good. What is your full R14 model number. It's possible the left blinking blue has an error code meaning. Is it a steady blinking blue with no code pattern or is there some pattern to it, like 2 blue blinks followed by a pause, then another 2 blinks? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Geroje
    I believe the full model # is R3-471T-59UL. SNID is 51410664276. The blue light blinking is steady, a flash about every 4 seconds. Before I opened the back cover, the machine worked perfectly without any issue. I just used Samsung migration software to backup the HD to Samsung EVO860 SSD before replacing the HD.
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    >>>I tried to press the battery reset button for 5 sec or longer on the back. It didn't help. >>>
    (1) Unplug charger.
    (2) Unplug mainboard battery connector
    (3) Remove the HDD.
    (4) Remove CMOS coin cell next to the HDD bay.
    (5) Allow system to set this way for about 30 minutes.
    (6) Then re-insert the coin cell and plug battery connector back into the mainboard.
    (7) Leave back cover off and do NOT install the HDD or SSD
    (8) Try to turn the system back on an insulated surface.

Do you get any BIOS error beep codes or LCD screen activity?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• First test the tips of @JackE! Then check that the interlock button (black) is pressed down. You will see a bulge in the lower case that presses this button:

The white button is the one that resets the battery!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    Good point egydiocoelho  That may be the problem. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Geroje
    I followed JackE's instruction. It did not work either. When pressing the power button, still the steady blue light blinking, no change. No CPU response, no screen activity, nothing except for the flashing blue light. The motherboard does not have the interlock button as shown in the egydiocoelho 's picture. 

I did noticed the two red lines on the battery power connector were pinched by original factory installation. By wiggling the lines, I made CPU fan to run for a few seconds and then stopped. No other responses. Could it be broken power cable to the battery? How to measure? BTW, how do I include picture in the message?

• JackE
    >>>I tried to press the battery reset button>>>

Can you try to find where this switch button is located on your particular mainboard? With the charger and battery unplugged, this spring-loaded normally-on switch might not be making good contact in the up position. Try pushing it down with your fingernail and letting it "snap up" a few times to make sure its contacts are closing. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Geroje
    New thing changes a little bit. I disconnected and reconnected the battery several times. The fan now turns on at the same pace as LED flashing. When the blue light is on, the CPU fan turns on for a couple of seconds, then stops. When the blue light is on again, CPU fan is ON again then off until next blue light flash. 

I tried to push down the battery reset button a lot of times. It didn't make any change.
  • JackE
    The system is either isn't getting enough power from the battery to stay on --- or it's drawing too much power and being tripped in on/off cycles. If you have a multimeter, it'd be good to check the open circuit voltage on the charger output plug between its outer and inner connectors. If the charger label doesn't say otherise, it should be about 19v. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• It would be interesting to inform you the exact model of the notebook! Example v3-571!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    edited December 2018
    egydiocoelho  It's an R3-471T-59UL   The mainboard doesn't seem to be the same as pictured in the specs with that missing interlock button. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Geroje
    Interesting. I disconnected the battery from MB for 8 hrs and then reconnected. Also, I uninstalled and installed the RAM. Now the laptop is powered on and running like a charm. The SSD works just like original HDD but faster. Maybe RAM connection has some issue during back cover removal. Thanks JackE and 
    egydiocoelho for help!

• You are Welcome!  :)

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    Geroje >>>Maybe RAM connection has some issue during back cover removal. >>>

No. Magic happened. =)  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 12sir4
    12sir4 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Having an issue with my acer aspire R 14 R3-431 series, when connected to power and tried to turn on nothing happens but there is a faint clicking noise coming from the laptop, have opend it up and it is not the hdd that is making the noise because when removed the noise continues have a feeling its a cpu issue as the noise is loudest near that area. Have had a look online for fixes but have gotten nothing for what i need so have come here to het some help and information on what it could be 
    Cheers.

• JackE

This thread is almost two years old. Please start your own thread to attract input from more ACER users. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ