Predator Z271 (27 inch Eye Tracking Curved 1800R with G-Sync, HDMI, DP, USB 3.0 Hub, Acer EcoDispla

Finchy70
Finchy70 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 14 in 2019 Archives
Bought this through Amazon in April.  Ever since I've had it the eyetracker does not work properly.  It SOMETIMES starts, logs in with Windows Hello then turns off and shows as not connected in task bar. Either that or it says couldn't start the camera. I am running Windows 10 Pro with all updates as of 28/11/2018.
I have submitted support request to Amazon and Acer with no meaningful response.  Last time I was told a Win 10 update had broken the Tobii Eytracker and a new driver release would fix it.  I downloaded a new driver today when prompted by the Tobii notification in my taskbar and now the eyetracker never works.  All drivers show as installed and I've uninstalled and reinstalled on a number of occasions.  I have even spent £35 on a new high quality USB cable in case that was the issue.  This is unacceptable in a £500 monitor and I'm now feeling let down.  I have been patient and waited for updated software as advised but still it does not work.  This is one of the reasons I picked this monitor (the other being G-Sync support).  Also the monitor has started to flicker intermittently flickering to a light colour then back to normal again. I have it connected to a GTX 1070 with a quality DisplayPort cable.  This is the first Acer monitor I have purchased and feel let down by the quality and the poor support.  Please help.

Answers

• Have you checked that disabling fast startup in the power options and the restarting solves the problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Dick1970
    Dick1970 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    I too bought this screen for the eyetracking and g-sync in may 2018. The eyetracking was working properly for the first 4-5 weeks and then the problems started. Sometimes working, sometimes not or just turning on and off again for a while. Contacted tobii support and they gave me a cleaning tool to get rid of any leftover files and reg entry's in order to do a clean install. They also said that if it didn't help the product was faulty and had to be returned to the vendor. Didn't help so the screen went back to the store I bought it and they send it to Acer for repairs. Acer did not find anything wrong so they send it back. Since I was wondering if it was windows 10 that was the issue I installed windows 7 again. Still not working..... I really feel cheated, there is to much time passed since the purchase and all the 'support' that was given that I can not send it back anymore. This clearly is a faulty product.... And I also bought a high grade cable to see if that was the issue.
  • KaneHobday
    KaneHobday Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Same exact issues as both of you, definitely a faulty product. No one from Acer or Tobii acknowledge the issue which is unacceptable.
  • KaneHobday

Tinkerer

Iv created another thread over at Tobii.

https://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/topic/z271t-tobii-eye-tracker-doesnt-connect/

Please go and comment as this issue needs traction.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Acer monitor.  

Finchy70 - Can you please specify where did you submit a ticket? What the case number, can you please send it via PM? 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/service-contact

Dick1970 - Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

https://www.acer.com/ac/nl/NL/content/service-contact

KaneHobday - Have you contacted Acer support or send it to our service center for assistance? 

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny 
  • KaneHobday

Tinkerer

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your Acer monitor.  

Finchy70 - Can you please specify where did you submit a ticket? What the case number, can you please send it via PM? 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/service-contact

Dick1970 - Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

https://www.acer.com/ac/nl/NL/content/service-contact

KaneHobday - Have you contacted Acer support or send it to our service center for assistance? 

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny 

Hi Manny,

I have only contacted Tobii support thus far who guided me through how to completely uninstall (removing registry files etc) and reinstall which solved the issue for about a day but then stopped working again.

• KaneHobday

Tinkerer

any updates?
  • KaneHobday

Tinkerer

SCAM ARTISTS! KNOWINGLY SELLING FAULTY MONITORS AND NO RECALL
  • DamianMcClean
    DamianMcClean Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have this issue. Tobi tracker no longer powers on. It worked for maybe a month? full year never functioned. Vendor no longer sells product. Cant believe this is a known issue with no one addressing it. Will be reported to trading standards.
  • plazing
    plazing Member Posts: 1 New User
    Also having same issue, only working for few weeks and now it doesn't detect in Tobii software.

I can see Eyechip & Tobii Eye Tracker HID in device manager but it doesn't even light up. Tried uninstalling the software and reinstall, stop/restart the service and connect the usb, etc.

Now I just don't bother with it.
  • Inception
    Inception Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited August 2019
    did anyone eventually fix this issue as have the exact same problem 
  • Dick1970

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    Inception said:
    did anyone eventually fix this issue as have the exact same problem 

Nope, my screen went back to Acer for a 2nd time, first time the store described the problem as: The screen won't turn on. Wich was clearly not the case, so after a phone call to Acer's Dutch support I send it to them directly. They installed a new MB and eye tracking as they both where faulty. When I got it back the eyetracking worked for a few weeks and then the same issues started again. Made another call and send the screen to them again but they did not found anything wrong that time. So I figured it must be my MB, a GA-990-XA-UD3 from 2013. Quite old so it might be having trouble sending enough juice trough the USB port. Today I decided to give it another go, after 3 hours and reinstalling USB drivers and the tobii software still no luck. Turned off all the USB power savings and fast boot option but no luck. Just now I read that another person with a B450 MB is having the same issues, this tells me it's not MB related. Other then the fact my screen is send back and forth to support and had replaced various parts there is no more support. If it's an issue in the firmware from the eyetracker Acer should push Tobii to fix it since Acer's reputation is going down the drain.

For now I give up, I might buy a new eyetracking ( a seperate one, not integrated in the screen) but I never buy anything from Acer ever again. Unless they fix or push Tobii to fix these issues.

Regards and good luck,

Dick1970
  • Dick1970

Tinkerer

Oke, I have been bold and opend up the screen, not that difficult as long as you take it easy and be gentle.

Frankly Acer, I was shocked what I found inside!!!!
    The housing from the USB hub is attached to the backplate from the screen itself with a piece of tape!!!  :open_mouth:
    There is no ground (black) wire in the connector from the eyetracking to the hub....instead they stripped a large portion from the insulation so the mantle is touching the backplate from the screen. I'm no expert but that is not the way to do it! :angry:

I have bend a piece of the housing from the usb hub so it firmly touches the backplate from the screen. I also made sure the naked wire is touching it as well. Guess what Acer, the eyetracking is working!!!!!!!!

I really did not expect to find such an pathetic mess inside, this is no way to connect things in a €700 monitor.

To all others who own a predator Z271T with a faulty eyetracking I recommend to open it up (or have someone do it for you) and connect everything in a proper manner.

I will never get anything from Acer ever again, what a joke...

• Can you tell the z271t partnumber so I can check in the service manual?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Finchy70
    Finchy70 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I gave up and had to return the unit. Luckily I bought it through Amazon who agreed to swap out the unit. I got a Dell Gsync without eyetracking. I would not buy from Acer again. Poor quality monitor considering the cost. Poor after sales too. 
  • Dick1970

Tinkerer

Can you tell the z271t partnumber so I can check in the service manual?

And what good would that do? Surely they don't state in the service manual that they did a poor job with installing the eyetracking.

After a few hours of playing Elite Dangerous they eyetracking started to connect and disconnect again. Now it ain't working again, guess the tape came loose due to the temp rise from the screen... I'll open it up tomorrow and do a proper job installing the parts. Shame on you Acer.
  • I would like to check the cable you mentioned and compare with some picture of the service manual.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Coqui13
    Coqui13 ACE Posts: 2,215 Pathfinder
    Has anyone tried this?

I went back eye tracking options and reset them to default

Noticed (as already ages ago before), when the Eyetracker isn’t working you can’t see any details about the Model, SN, Firmware. After a settings reset it somehow flipped back on, after some seconds dead again.
    Then I started to dig a bit more towards the drivers.. (more precisely towards the Eye Tracker HID)
    First step: deleted all device drivers from Tobii
    (EyeChip, Tobii Device, Tobii Eye Tracker HID)
    Second step: action > search for changed devices
    Third step: Eyechip showed up, the rest didn’t (AFAIR)
    Fourth step: reinstalling the drivers, from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Tobii\ HID & IS3 Driver
    Fifth step: restarted the service (Tobii Service)

and at the moment i’m happily using it, even tho I needed to recheck the on-off (in the tray settings).

☑ No trabajo para Acer, soy voluntario.
    ☑ Para cerrar el tema, marque " aceptar como solución" la respuesta correcta que le fue de utilidad.
    ☑ Lo siento pero no se responde a preguntas de manera privada, debe abrir un nuevo tema en el lugar indicado del foro para que pueda recibir ayuda.

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2015-2019 ★★

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Dick1970 said:
    Can you tell the z271t partnumber so I can check in the service manual?

And what good would that do? Surely they don't state in the service manual that they did a poor job with installing the eyetracking.

After a few hours of playing Elite Dangerous they eyetracking started to connect and disconnect again. Now it ain't working again, guess the tape came loose due to the temp rise from the screen... I'll open it up tomorrow and do a proper job installing the parts. Shame on you Acer.

What is the Tobi Eye Tracking software version you have installed?

Thanks,

Acer-Manny