Acer Predator Helios 300 (G3-572-73FH) Access to M.2 slot for SSD upgrade - Stripped screws

PhamWam
PhamWam Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi, I bought this laptop on Amazon a while back and it didn't come with an SSD and I recently bought an M.2 500gb SSD to upgrade it.

Upon watching videos on how to install said SSD, I opened the panel where the HDD is stored to find that the two screws on the left of the HDD locking it in place are stripped. I just need to remove the HDD to take off the back cover in order to install the SSD but I can't remove it because of the screws. I've tried researching ways to remove the stripped screws but to no avail (rubber band trick). Unless I go out and buy a screw extractor kit, i'm stuck with not being able to open the back cover and I kind of want to avoid spending money on just opening this thing once to install my SSD.

Is it possible to take off the back cover to access the M.2 slot without removing the HDD, or is there a better technique for removing the stripped screws or will I have to resort to buying that screw extractor kit if I want to avoid damaging the plastic.

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    PhamWam 
    You need to remove the lower casing to install the SSD. Please follow the steps in the below image with caution.
    Please take care you do not break any parts since it will void warranty. You can alao get help from a technician to install the SSD.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • You should remove the screws as follows:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi @PhamWam
    If the two screws(red arrows) are damaged, remove all other screws, then you need to disconnect the sata cable from the HDD(black arrow), if there's no room to disconnect the cable, open the back cover slowly without damaging the cable connection in the MB, disconnect the cable in MB.

HDD cable connector is near the fan on the MB.