Battery destruction on Acer Helios 300

Kutango
Kutango Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello i Have ask i sold my Lenovo Y50 and buy Acer Predator Helios 300.  In Lenovo i Have option put battery on 60% and not load more (Energy mengment) on charger - then my battery its safe.. And my ask how i can set my battery settings on Acer to charge energie from charger and not from battery, and load and load.... This destroy battery

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    It's not a "battery destroyer" lol.

The way it works (and most laptops work this way) is once the battery reaches 100% it will stop charging until battery reaches 95% then trickle charge back to 100% to keep battery healthy.

It's actually worse for a battery to stay on 60% always as cycling the batteries charge is much better for it.

Although in instances where the battery is used a lot once the item is charged it is a good practice to charge to 70% and use on battery until 20% or so.

On a gaming laptop this is not practical since the CPU & GPU are much more powerful than a smartphones battery therefore draining the battery much quicker - all the more reason to keep the charge cycle healthy rather than keeping battery levels between 20-70% like a phone would.

Overall the difference will be small in effect of a batteries lifespan between the two options and since it's a gaming laptop and should be plugged in as much as possible to keep the battery from being drained by GPU/CPU the Helios method of charging is perfectly adequate of maintaining battery life this way. 

My H300 I've had for 2 years and has always been on the charger I just let the battery drain to 20% once every 3 months and my wear levels are 3%.
    Not bad for 5000 hours of benchmarks and games.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• Unfortunately Acer notebooks do not have this feature! However you unplug the power adapter without the battery being fully charged!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kutango

Tinkerer

Then when i play (on charger) , my charger always load battery? Even when i Have 100%?
  • Red-Sand
    Answer ✓
    It's not a "battery destroyer" lol.

The way it works (and most laptops work this way) is once the battery reaches 100% it will stop charging until battery reaches 95% then trickle charge back to 100% to keep battery healthy.

It's actually worse for a battery to stay on 60% always as cycling the batteries charge is much better for it.

Although in instances where the battery is used a lot once the item is charged it is a good practice to charge to 70% and use on battery until 20% or so.

On a gaming laptop this is not practical since the CPU & GPU are much more powerful than a smartphones battery therefore draining the battery much quicker - all the more reason to keep the charge cycle healthy rather than keeping battery levels between 20-70% like a phone would.

Overall the difference will be small in effect of a batteries lifespan between the two options and since it's a gaming laptop and should be plugged in as much as possible to keep the battery from being drained by GPU/CPU the Helios method of charging is perfectly adequate of maintaining battery life this way. 

My H300 I've had for 2 years and has always been on the charger I just let the battery drain to 20% once every 3 months and my wear levels are 3%.
    Not bad for 5000 hours of benchmarks and games.
    - Hotel Hero
  • I agree with colleague @Red-Sand!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Kutango

Tinkerer

Ohh, then its good when i always Have laptop on charger (when 100%) , this option keep battery healthy??  And sometimes drain to 15/20% (on w per Month) and load it to 100%,  Yes? 
  • With regard to gaming notebooks, so that they can provide the maximum possible gaming performance, it is recommended that you load up to 100% before you start gaming, as that means the power adapter will only supply power to the motherboard and the other hardware When the power adapter has to provide power to charge the battery and also to the motherboard and other hardware, there may be a performance drop! In addition, when the battery is 100% charged, the notebook also uses some of the battery power when extra performance is required and that is why the battery is discharged when you use the notebook in games!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Red-Sand
    Yes @egydiocoelho is correct, it's best to play a game on AC when the battery is full (before starting a long gaming session)
    - Hotel Hero