Help! Acer Swift 1 model SF114-32-P2PK can i upgrade this mmc to ssd 256 or 500 gb?

AnnaLee90
AnnaLee90 Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited April 2023 in Swift and Spin Series
Please help me. i  have  Acer Swift 1 model  SF114-32-P2PK.  with 64 gb mmc.
i wonder  can i upgrade  this mmc  to  ssd 256 or 500 gb?
and  if i  can please send me  link from amazon  which one ssd is  better  for  this  laptop?  Thank you!
[Edited  the  thread  to  add  issue detail]

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @AnnaLee90

Storage Subsystem
    Solid state drive
    256 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    128 GB / 256 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s
    64 GB eMMC

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Hi,
    I think a M.2 SATA SSD will be suitable for you, get a 256GB size SSD, like this as an example but try looking for other brands as well because you may get a better deal.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-500GB-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00TGIVZTW/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1542634988&sr=8-10&keywords=m2+sata+ssd&th=1
  • AnnaLee90
    so its 100 % i can upgrade this models ssd  right?
  • AnnaLee90 said:
    so its 100 % i can upgrade this models ssd  right?
    Yes, almost but please read the links provided by @IronFly
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @AnnaLee90
    Yes, you can upgrade to SSD. Few SSD been suggested in the above answer. So you can buy those SSD if you wish

• AnnaLee90
    edited November 2018
    Jack22 said:
    @AnnaLee90
    Yes, you can upgrade to SSD. Few SSD been suggested in the above answer. So you can buy those SSD if you wish

this laptop can read 500 gb ssd? and is this ssd fit to this  laptop?  https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-500GB-SSD-WDS500G2B0B/dp/B073SBX6TY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1542645680&sr=1-4&keywords=ssd+m.2&refinements=p_72:1248879011   or  this?     https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-500GB-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E500BW/dp/B078218TWQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1542645975&sr=1-5&keywords=ssd+m.2&refinements=p_72:1248879011
  • I'm not sure if this model supports ssd m2 2280 from 500gb!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi @AnnaLee90,

Yes. You can have additional SSD installed to your laptop. Below is Acer Officially recommended compatible SSD specs detail. 

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• AnnaLee90
    hi. today received notebook. i open and u can see what is inside? so what type ssd it need? 
  • According to the service manual, your model supports ssd m2 2280 sata 3 or nvme:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/550121/acer-swift-1-sf114-32-c4pz-upgrade-to-m-2-ssd
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Yes! The notebook should support it!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited December 2018
    Unfortunately, your model does not have a backlit keyboard  :'( 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Have you checked if ssd appears in the bios information section? What is the exact model of ssd?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Mateo620
    Mateo620 Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    I installed a M.2 2280 SATA 6 Gb/s 128 GB SSD in my SF114-32-P2PK just for testing purposes and it worked as expected. It felt like my SF114-32 was running a little hotter as compared to the eMMC SSD. I did not verify this but it just felt warmer for some reason. Most likely because now the SATA controller was up and running doing work. I ended up removing the SATA SSD and sticking to the eMMC SSD for now because of the free 1 year Microsoft O365 subscription that came with the laptop.

Eventually I'd like to try a M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe SSD of 256 GB or greater capacity. 
  • Knowitall
    Knowitall Member Posts: 4 New User
    Mine P2pk model would not accept any NvMe storage options tried, Samsung Evo 970 500gb, 980 500gb, SanDisk NvMe. None of the NvMe cards were detected in BIOS. I've downgraded to SATA interface and it worked. In order to run this M.2 Sata Ssd you'll have to disable emmc storage which will then sit completely wasted because system is allowing for single chanel only. It's basically "one or the other"
    You'll need to clone your current OS with whatever you want to your newly added SSD drive which then it will become your primary C: drive. To do system cloning you'll have to use migration software, i used free version and it did everything in perfect order. 

So, in my conclusion 

Acer Swift 1 model SF114-32-P2PK

does not support NvMe interface thus the only other option is M.2 2280 Sata drive. 
    I personally used Samsung M.2 Sata Evo 860 V-Nand 500gb card and it worked excellent. It was detected in bios the first time. Had no issues whatsoever. Seems like from what I've read around the newer models may be able to accept NvMe storage options though. I have 500gb NvMe card for sale now if anyone wants it at fair price, pm me
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    It looks like all SSD models whipped with M.2 SATA3 drives, so the specs may be in error when they say PCIe x4 is supported. The system block diagram does show PCIe x4, but with a caveat that support is a motherboard BOM option, so not all motherboard were built with that support installed. Since they don't specify which SKUs have which motherboards we have no way to tell id a specific one supports the faster drives. Did you, by any chance, try an NVMe x2 drive?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Knowitall
    Knowitall Member Posts: 4 New User
    billsey said:
    It looks like all SSD models whipped with M.2 SATA3 drives, so the specs may be in error when they say PCIe x4 is supported. The system block diagram does show PCIe x4, but with a caveat that support is a motherboard BOM option, so not all motherboard were built with that support installed. Since they don't specify which SKUs have which motherboards we have no way to tell id a specific one supports the faster drives. Did you, by any chance, try an NVMe x2 drive?
    No, I did not try x2 nvme. I was however tempted to try m.2 Nvme pcle x4 with 250gb as I've seen someone else posting this very spec stating it will work, didn't happen though.
    I'd honestly would like to try something that would work within NvMe interface. 
    I've noticed longer boot times at startup with m.2 Evo 860 500gb as primary disk vs. 64gb Emmc drive soldered to motherboard.
    Running diagnostic software my read/write speed is in mid 300's to low 400's on m.2 sata drive. I think nvme could help. I may just try one out for hack of it. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Size of the drive won't make any difference. If it works with NVMe x4 on a 250GB drive it'll work with NVMe x4 on a 2TB drive. I'm thinking it most likely that it really only supports SATA 3 drives...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.