Acer Aspire A515-51G-53JT keyboard problem

scoobert
scoobert Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives

Today I noticed a strange problem with my Aspire A515-51G-53JT laptop which I bought almost a month ago. 

Some keys randomly stop working and it's always the same keys. So far I've discovered that the periodically shutting off keys include 1 3 - q t p ] j 3(num) 5(num) righ arrow

I have never dropped the laptop or poured any liquids on it, I got it new and unopened. It worked flawlessly prior to this problem.

I tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers and resetting the computer but the problem returned almost immediately. The keys stop working for a few seconds and then work again but it's very annoying. 

Ironically, prior to buying this laptop I wanted to buy a Lenovo Legion y520 but what stopped me was the revelation that many people encounter a keyboard problem with them (same as mine but lenovo users have different keys stop working). I heard that they solve the problem by unscrewing some screws from the base of the laptop because there are three of them that are too long so they ram against the motherboard or some other components. Anyway, tangent over.

I just tested this problem by plugging in an usb keyboard and waiting for the keys to stop working. The keystrokes from the laptop's keyboard didn't work while the usb keyboard worked just fine. 

Did anyone else encounter this problem?

Answers

• Srijit4Real
    Srijit4Real Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have the exact same problem (with the exact same keys!!). Got the A515-51G-58GJ model back in January 2018, but started facing the same issues from last month. What convinced me that this was no driver issue was the problem persisted in both Ubuntu and Windows alike. I took the device to the authorized service center and they fixed they said there was a problem where the keyboard connects to the motherboard. Which they fixed. Sadly enough, the problem re-appeared a few days back, although much less frequent. I'm planning to ask for a full keyboard replacement this time.
    Thanks for bearing. Anyway, whats your status? Did u get it fixed or found a workaround? Please let me know.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>there was a problem where the keyboard connects to the motherboard.>>>

@Srijit4Real If your machine is still under warranty get the KB  replaced. The problem is probably that the ribbon cable connector from the KB to the mainboard is either loose or needs to be re-seated a few times to clean it's contacts. Requires removal of the back cover to access the KB ribbon cable and its mainboard connector as shown in the large circle and arrow below. Jack  E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JPQTU3
    JPQTU3 Member Posts: 2 New User

Howdy. I'm having the exact same problem, it inspired my screen-name lol!
    I had to use Word to type this comment so the spell checker could fill in the keys that don't work! VERY ANNOYING! My new lappy worked great for a month then this keyboard issue kicked in. I called support, they suggested the BIOS reset. That worked for 24 hours then back to missing keys!! @Srijit4Real you said you returned your Acer for a fix. How long were you without your machine for? I'm dreading having to take mine in, as I need it for work and study!

• Srijit4Real
    @JackE My laptop's still under warranty since its been just 6 months old. I'll call for a KB replacement next week. As for the ribbon connector, they said that they had done the very same thing. The problem might be with the KB itself (or the folks at the support didn't do much in the first place). Although this seems to be a pretty common problem with this model as I saw couple more people walking in with the same issue.
    Thanks for the reply, I'll keep you updated once its done.
  • Srijit4Real
    @JPQTU3 My laptop was at the support for like 5 days. Given the time, they should have really fixed the problem completely imo as this issue seems pretty common. Nonetheless, I'll ask for a complete KB replacement this time.
  • JPQTU3
    JPQTU3 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Srijit4Real. Cheers. As you say, given the number of people experiencing this issue they should have replaced your keyboard immediately. That's 2 visits to the repair centre for you. How Acer seem to think people can go without a computer for a week at time in this day and age amazes me!
  • MookieGeek
    MookieGeek Member Posts: 1 New User
    Glad I came here to check Forum...I have the same problem with my Acer Aspire Spin 5 13.3 2 in 1 keyboard where a number of keys stopped working after a the warranty ran out. I tried everything on web and the frustrating problem still persist which is why it is collecting dust right now. Everything else on the computer works great but having to resort to using on screen keyboard was not helping the problem. Can someone tell me how much it cost to replace the keyboard. I recently purchased the New Spin Chromebook 15 2 in 1 and love it and in no hurry replace keyboard on Acer Spin 5.
  • JackE
    Part# 6B.GR7N1.001 or .009 with top cover and palmrest. About $90-100 US. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• gaufchamp
    gaufchamp Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same problem on my laptop- A515 51G 52ZR purchased 3 months back, I got keyboard replaced already, Still the problem occurred after 15 days of replacement, Again i called the support guy, This time a different guy came, and he suspected that, there is some issue with hard disk, as the read write speed had gone down to 60%, He will replace my hard disk now..

But I doubt that will solve the keyboard problem, as I checked with USB keyboard, that works perfectly fine, If this keyboard problem is occurring due hard disk problem, then USB keyboard must also not work fine...

Lets  see if it solves or not, Otherwise I am gonna ask for full unit replacement...
  • JackE
    Srijit4Real  >>>said there was a problem where the keyboard connects to the motherboard. >>>

gaufchamp This seems to be the most likely explanation. The very short and stiff keyboard ribbon cable is often difficult to tightly clamp and secure on the mainboard connector while at the same time affixing the keyboard itself to the case. As a result, the ribbon often partially slips out of the connector when usuing the keyboard causing weird key responses. Long tweezers sometimes have to be used to keep the clamp closed while trying to align the keyboard with the case. You should alert your service support technican know this is a possibility. Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• navidk99
    navidk99 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Hi friends, having same problem with Acer Aspire A515-51G, its very annoying some selected keys i.e. Q,T,U,P,J Right arrow what I noticed my best maybe other keys also don't work but I frequently used these keys only and as everyone said above they work and stop itself repeatedily and due this issue whole machine looks worthless to me and big dark sides of technology because my 7 years old dell i3 is still the hero and never stopped for a sec. Any solution will be highly appreciated from you guys, advance thanks
  • JackE
    navidk99 If you've already tried to re-seat the ribbon cable a few times and it still doesn't work properly, then google a515-51g and keyboard for possible replacement vendors/sellers that ship to your location. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• navidk99
    hi jackie, do you have any image if which ribbons to be re-seated? any useful link to guide begginers, thanks
  • JackE
    Here you go. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• navidk99
    JackE said:
    navidk99 If you've already tried to re-seat the ribbon cable a few times and it still doesn't work properly, then google a515-51g and keyboard for possible replacement vendors/sellers that ship to your location. Jack E/NJ

thanks jacke, I didn't try to re-seat he ribbon sre I will do it but if you could share any link to show how to open the back cover as I begginer I never opened my self, secondly just asking is this practice resolved 100% by any user, thanks
    JackE said:

JackE said:

• navidk99
    I think it works now
  • JackE
    >>> I didn't try to re-seat he ribbon sre I will do it but if you could share any link to show how to open the back cover>>>

Sorry. You don't have to open the back cover. Did my images fail to load in this link? https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/622383/#Comment_622383   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• navidk99
    Dear Jack, thanks alot I think its right time to announce that since last night the keyboard works awesome the problem is solved, well in my model I have to open the back cover and re-seat the keyboard's ribboned cable, it saved all efforts of ordering new keyboard, once again a big thanks.
  • JackE
    Congrats on your success. navidk99   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• abhi211199
    abhi211199 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @navidk99 How did you open up your laptop, I mean the back cover, and re-seat the keyboard ribbon cable?
    Can you suggest any tutorial video or website?