Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller speed issue

bobemartin
bobemartin Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
How can I reset my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (NIC) back to 1.0 Gbps speed on my Aspire 3.  NIC was working great and something caused the speed to change from 1 GB to 100 MB.   I have updated the drivers and reset the adapter with no success.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Try uninstalling it again from Device Mgr. Exit without trying to re-install. Then do a cold boot and let Windows auto re-detect and auto re-install the adapter. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi @bobemartin,

You can also try to delete the current driver and install the driver from the acer site. with your snid or sn number. check the link below.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • TimmyLee
    TimmyLee Member Posts: 118 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    If you try to delete, won't you lose your ability to access the Internet to acquire the correct driver?  When I check the Acer Driver site, the driver model is older than the one I currently have.
  • JackE
    It re-installs a fresh uncorrupted version of the driver already stored in the HDD/SSD OEM driver recovery folders. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TimmyLee
    Thanks, didn't resolve the issue anyway. Can't get good speeds past the gateway.
  • JackE

Have you tried the ALT+F10 cold boot method of refreshing the system to a factory state while trying to save your personal files and programs? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TimmyLee
    No, I have months and months of software configurations and settings I prefer not to have to reload and reconfigure.  I assume I would probably have to reinstall all of my programs.
  • TimmyLee
    Also, wouldn't Windows then require the same updates again, which may have caused the problem in the first place?
  • JackE
    You can choose the option to save your personal files (a factory refresh, not an erase everything factory reset) but you should back up your data anyway. However, offending updates can be reversed within a month or so after they cause a problem by using ControlPanel's restore point app. Then it can be blocked using Microsoft Show/Hide update tool until the update is superseded or fixed. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-reinstalling-in-windo
    It can also be permanently blocked with freeware Windows blockers or by running 'services.msc' and setting Windows Update service from auto to manual (disabling often stubbornly reverts back to auto after a re-boot).  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TimmyLee
    Indeed, I should have checked my speeds more often before the slowdown from last August... then perhaps I might have figured out that Windows updates was the culprit... if indeed it is.  Seems to be a common occurrence though. I'm not worried about my files, it's the programs I have installed.  I don't use Microsoft Apps, which they try to force upon you.  It risks being a really big step to get my computer back to the state it's in. I suppose I'll drop my plan to the 300Mbps and see how that works.  However, I already have a couple of devices that have trouble with wifi, even just 30 ft away.
  • JackE
    What apps & programs are you most concerned with? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TimmyLee
    Photoshop Elements, Premier Elements, Topaz filters, dozens of utilities like take ownership, Send TO extensions etc etc.  Just a lot of work for something that might not even work.
  • JackE
    You don't do backups or images just in case of an HDD or SSD failure?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TimmyLee
    I back up my millions of photos and music and documents.  Tried to do an image back up to keep the installation of my programs backedup, but never could accomplish it.  Didn't want to spend the rest of my life researching and working on it.  I have access to the programs to reinstall, but it would take me days or even weeks to get my laptop back to the way I've got it now.  There should be a fix to a problem instead of reinstalling an entire operating system.
  • JackE
    Download and try iobit's DriverBooster freeware to see if it can pick up anything to resolve the issue https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

As for a backup, you should do this anyway just in case of a HDD failure. Use MacriumReflect freeware to migrate your entire HDD to another HDD using an SATA HDD-to-USB adapter. New 1TB HDDs are now less than $35, adapters less than $10 with free shipping from Amazon. Don't  delay. Get this done for less than $50. If you have a failure, you simply exchange the old drive with the new one and you're back in business. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ