Swift 3 - SF315-52? - Replaced HDD for SSD Doesn't boot up with the SSD connected.

Answers

• Can you beat one of the bios information section? If your notebook recognizes the ssd nvme correctly, I recommend you replace the ssd m2 sata 3 by nvme!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Inothome
    Inothome Member Posts: 8 New User
    That's what I did. I shouldn't have to buy an MNVe drive when it says SATA SSDs are supported.
  • Inothome
    And..... I spoke too soon. Now this morning when in Windows it couldn't see one of the partitions. It rebooted to "fix" the partition and now it won't boot in to Windows from the NMVe or with the recovery USB. Which the recovery USB works on another computer. I think this SF315-52 is going back. All I wanted to do was install a 500GB SSD, since the factory offerings with an SSD were only 256GB. Nothing complicated and nothing that should take more than an hour. I'm on day two now.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018
    When installing a system in dual boot, it is recommended to disable the quick startup of windows 10! Do this in both ssd and hd:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Inothome
    I returned to laptop to the store and we tried a bunch of different brands and none of the 500GB SSDs would work. Whether 2.5 SATA, M.2 SATA or M.2 NMVe. Only 256GB SSDs would work. So I told them I wanted a differnt brand. The same thing happened with that brand, any 500GB SSD, 2.5 or M.2 would either lock it up, or not show in the BIOS. I ended up keeping that one (for now) with a 256GB SSD installed. Maybe in time a BIOS update or whatever is preventing 500GB SSDs from being seen in the BIOS will be fixed. 
    Thanks for all the suggestions. 
  • @Inothome Just a question: When connecting ssd, did you convert to gpt to install windows 10 in uefi mode?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Inothome
    How could I convert it when the laptop would not even get to a BIOS screen? Or if it did get to a BIOS screen, it was not detected by the BIOS.
  • Did you disable fast start up as I indicated in the picture above? When this option is enabled, it interferes with the windows startup! If even deactivating this function, ssd m2 sata 3 is not detected, then I believe that your specific model, only accepts nvme!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Alex0815
    Alex0815 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Hello,

i have the same problem, and still no luck.
    I tested already couple of weeks ago.

I received today the crucial 1TB m.2 SSD which should 100% work with my SF315-52G. Thats what crucial says. But what a wonder - the same as i have with 2.5 Samsung 850 2TB SSD and two M.2 Samsung 512GB SSD.

It stucks at the Acer Logo as soon as i plug in one of these discs. I can't enter the bios, nothing.

Acer support told me it should work but they did not test exact these discs, i guess they tested nothing except the discs inside.

If i would know which 2TB SSD 2.5 and which at least 512GB M.2 SSD works i would buy that.
    Maybe someone knows more meanwhile.

I could not understand how they can bring out this realy nice swift 3 but without support of the same discs my old acer nitro V5 was able to use.

The already installed 1TB SSD is very slow and the 256GB SSD is too small. Don't know what to do :(
  • tamilupk
    tamilupk Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

Hi charlesNL/Inothome, What was the BIOS version when you tried to install SATA SSD?
    I have a similar problem with the same laptop version where I tried to install Samsung 840 evo in BIOS v1.04 and it worked perfectly, but I went into the same issue after I updated the BIOS to v1.07 (Same with v1.05 as well).
  • Alex0815
    Hi,
    i tested with the new laptop Bios 1.04 and it was not working.
    Then i updated the bios and still not working.
    Maybe i should have test more with 1.04 version but i saw that an update is available.
    Downgrade is not possible :(

Acer support does not answer, i asked about exact type of 2.5" SSD with minimum 1TB and M.2 SDD with 512GB at least which will definitly work, then i will buy that ones.
  • Carpecerevisi
    Carpecerevisi Member Posts: 1 New User
    Having the same issues here.  The only fix is to buy a <256gig ssd?  Would love some good news.
  • Hello @Carpecerevisi! Have you checked if ssd is shown in the bios information section?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Alex0815
    Hello @Carpecerevisi! Have you checked if ssd is shown in the bios information section?
    How should that work if there is no way to enter the bios when SSD is plugged in?

There is still no feedback from Acer, just the same words "if you have problems send your laptop to our service".......
    This is not a damaged Acer, i am not the only person.

I'm pretty sure this is my last Acer product.
    I should have listened to my colleagues and bought an XPS.
    The laptop could be so fast if i could plug in my big SSD and M.2. and no need for my external HDD anymore.
  • @Alex0815! Could you tell me the exact ssd model and the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Alex0815
    @Alex0815! Could you tell me the exact ssd model and the bios version?
    It is more than one SSD Model.
    I have tested:
    2.5" Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, M.2 (two types, SATA and NVMe)
    and the last try was from Crucial because they say at their website that it will work with the SF315-52G
    Crucial MX500 SSD 1TB M.2 Micron 3D TLC

Bios is the latest, V1.07

• Have you tried disconnecting hd and leaving only ssd connected?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Alex0815
    Have you tried disconnecting hd and leaving only ssd connected?
    Yes, everything.
    Removed one OEM Hdd and a new one, removed the other one, and so on.
    I can enter the Bios even if no HDD is connected, but as soon as i plug in one of these HDDs it freeze at the Acer Logo, not able to enter the BIOS.
    I tried a very old 64GB SSD and this one works.

• Have you tried resetting the bios and then putting the ssd?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Alex0815
    Yes i tested all bios settings, safe mode and so on.
    Even our "IT-Expert" at my job does not have any idea.