Acer Swift 3 Keyboard - Some keys not working

JJM
JJM Member Posts: 2 New User
I've had the Acer Swift 3 model for about 7 months now and for the past week or so, there is a problem with the keyboard where the Left Shift+S combo doesn't work like when I want to type capital S. The keys work by themselves and the Shift button works with every other key, but only not with the S key. This is also only with the left Shift button and not the right. The onscreen keyboard also has the same problem so it's not a hardware problem looks like. I'm so confused on what to do here. 

The + button on top of my numpad also doesn't work but on starting the laptop, it suddenly works randomly where it keeps typing +++++++ in my password field. This is only during that time though.

I don't have any past restore points to go back to so should I go to the Service Center? This seems like only a small annoyance but should I still take the laptop there?

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    JJM said:
    I've had the Acer Swift 3 model for about 7 months now and for the past week or so, there is a problem with the keyboard where the Left Shift+S combo doesn't work like when I want to type capital S. The keys work by themselves and the Shift button works with every other key, but only not with the S key. This is also only with the left Shift button and not the right. The onscreen keyboard also has the same problem so it's not a hardware problem looks like. I'm so confused on what to do here. 

The + button on top of my numpad also doesn't work but on starting the laptop, it suddenly works randomly where it keeps typing +++++++ in my password field. This is only during that time though.

I don't have any past restore points to go back to so should I go to the Service Center? This seems like only a small annoyance but should I still take the laptop there?
    Make sure the keys are not stuck. 

Then try the below steps.

> Unplug all the cables and shutdown the device. 
    > Flip the computer upside down and look for a tiny pinhole with battery symbol next to it. 
    > Use a paper clip or any suitable tool. 
    > then insert the tool and press and hold it for 30-50 sec

Post this check if everything works. In addition to this check the keyboard language added. If the keyboard language is not as what you expect then change the KB language to the desired one. 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-keyboard-layout-windows-10
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • JJM
    JJM Member Posts: 2 New User
    I tried this and it's the same issue. Although a few days back the keys suddenly worked for a while without doing anything, but they soon went back to the same problem.

I've also started experiencing sudden slowness of the laptop for a few minutes at a time recently where the cursor is really slow to move and during this period, the touchpad doesn't register a click unless I physically push the touchpad down rather than just the usual tap. Haven't got this behaviour yet again after the recent battery reset.
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    JJM said:
    I tried this and it's the same issue. Although a few days back the keys suddenly worked for a while without doing anything, but they soon went back to the same problem.

I've also started experiencing sudden slowness of the laptop for a few minutes at a time recently where the cursor is really slow to move and during this period, the touchpad doesn't register a click unless I physically push the touchpad down rather than just the usual tap. Haven't got this behaviour yet again after the recent battery reset.
    i would recommend you to contact acer support to get this issue rectified while its still under warranty. Because the issue is intermittent and if something like this repeats post the warranty time it would be difficult to get it serviced. 

Its good to get the benefits of warranty while its still good. 
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • rishabhjain
    rishabhjain Member Posts: 5 New User
    edited August 2019
    I'm facing a similar issue .I bought Acer swift 3 in December 2018 and within 7months it already has so many problems ..the keyboard is not working the brightness is not working and hard disk failed .On calling upon the service center technical engineer he said the keyboard caught moisturizing ..never heard of it before and never had that problem before in any of the laptops I've used before..I feel I've wasted my 72000 investing in this laptop .It's not worth buying Acer laptops .Bad experience.

• Hindsightgenius
    Hindsightgenius Member Posts: 2 New User
    Exact same problems for me (9 months in).  First and last time buying Acer.
  • umlau036
    umlau036 Member Posts: 1 New User

Dear Acer, I hv similar issue. My Acer Swift 5 (i7 10gen) gradually lose keys from "p", "]", "1", "-", …… (Luckily the touch screen still works!)

May you advise fix please? It is just bearly over 1.5 year… And I have been on Swift series since 1st release… Thanks.

Thomas

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer

@umlau036 since you have a different model than what this thread covers, it's better to start a new thread for your issue. Use the Ask a Question button and include the full model number. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like SF5xx-xxx-xxxx. Describe the issue (we will need to know what language keyboard you have and which specific keys are misbehaving since the keys are in different positions for different languages) and what you ahve tried so far to fix it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.