I'm not able to do dual boot Predator PH315-51 . I want to install ubuntu 18.04 alongside windows 10

Tushar_Yadav
Tushar_Yadav Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I'm not able to do dual boot Predator PH315-51 . I want to install ubuntu 18.04 alongside windows 10.  As soon as I'm opening ubuntu from live usb laptop is not responding.

Answers

• It seems that ubuntu only recognizes ahci mode! You should change the rst with optane mode to ahci! However, this procedure will cause windows to crash and break the array! It is not recommended to leave in ahci mode! If you want to change the mode to ahci, it is essential that you turn on safe mode in windows before making this change:

However this procedure may cause you to lose your files and I will not be liable for any damages! I do not recommend you make this change!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Try another 18.04 version like Mint 19.x Cinnamon-flavored. Then follow these instructions for installing alongside Win10. Jack E/NJ

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3597
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/598047/#Comment_598047

Jack E/NJ

• @JackE! Do you know of a driver that causes the linux installation to recognize the rst with optane mode? I'm asking you this, as I helped a user as a similar problem, and hd was only recognized in linux setup when mode was changed to ahci in bios! However this change I do not consider as a good option!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    edited November 2018
    @egydiocoelho Yes you must set to ACHI but first must enable safeboot so you don't lose Win10. Here are the relevant links.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=270586&p=1477558&hilit=optane&sid=caf0503a6d1964ee6d8764b48b217bc2#p1477558
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/946480/ ... o-yoga-720.

Basically, the problem was that in the BIOS, the "Storage Controller Mode" was set to "RST," which is a fake RAID mode-? Anyway, I had to set it to AHCI mode--but in order to do so (without accidentally deleting Win 10), had to enable "safeboot" first. Here's the full procedure:
    1. Create a Win 10 recovery drive (using Win 10 utility) just in case something goes wrong
    2. Defrag & shrink the Windows volume to make room for Linux
    3. Disable "fast startup" (r-click start --> power options --> additional --> choose buttons --> change settings --> uncheck "fast startup")
    4. Disable "Secure Boot" in the BIOS
    5. Enable "safeboot" by running "bcdedit /set {currennt} safeboot minimal" in the Win 10 command prompt as administrator
    6. Change "Storage Controller Mode" to "AHCI" in the BIOS
    7. Disable "safeboot" by running "bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot" in the Win 10 command prompt as administrator
    8. Download, checksum, and burn Linux Mint .iso to USB
    9. Boot from USB
    10. Install Linux Mint using the tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• @JackE! I know these changes should be made to install linux! What I would like to know is if there is a sata driver for linux to recognize the hd in the installation, when the bios is in rst with optane mode? Or does not linux correctly recognize optane memory? I am not a linux expert and I confess that I have to learn how to use this system!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• That's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks @JackE!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    @egydiocoelho  But this situation might change soon as it usually does with Ubuntu. Besides, big optane-like SSD cache will probably also soon be built-in to even bigger HDDs for less than a $100 USD. So not only will it give new lease on life to HDDs, it won't be for only Win10 anymore. =)       Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• I hope linux supports rst with optane mode as soon as possible, since ahci mode was designed exclusively to work with hd's, ie, at a time when optane memory did not exist and ssd's were not yet very used!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer