G9-793 main drive update: which M2 drive do I need and how to transfer the OS

Arrhenius
Arrhenius Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have a stock drive from Acer, which came with my G9. I believe it is the dual M2 drives added as raid, so it show as 256 GB, although I can't tell until I unplug the laptop and open the expansion board.

I did find hard time to figure out what is my configuration and slot supported; since Acer has like 10 different variant of the same model (mine is G9-793); so find an exact answer is almost impossible unless someone else has the same configuration and can give me some advice.

I was thinking to replace the 2 M2 drives with either a single 1 TB or 2x512 GB; so I can have a system drive and a secondary drive for applications. The mechanical drive is fine for now as storage.

Also, I am not sure how can I clone the OS. Last time I did this, it was a standard SATA SSD; so I simply plugged the new one as external, and used an application to clone the drive on the new one, and everything was fine. Although I can't see how to connect a M2 drive to my laptop, unless I disconnect the main drive. Do I need an adapter like the SATA->USB adapter but for M2?

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited November 2018
    Hi,
    You could find the configuration by going to Intel Rapid Storage, click start, expand Intel and right click Intel Rapid Storage, could you please tell us whether you want RAID0 setup when you install 2x512GB or do you want them to show as individual drives.
    I have to mention that you may not be able to update BIOS in future if you remove RAID, I think the BIOS in RAID which you can not change, your laptop will run in AHCI mode, if you tried a BIOS update it will brick your laptop, this may not relevant to you at the moment but just a warning.

• Arrhenius
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

Intel utility show me the same as in the picture you posted, so I have 2x128 in raid0.

I was not aware of the complication about the raid, when replacing the drive. This means that I am forced to use raid0? The plan was to use 2 different drives, since I can afford to buy one drive at time (in this way at least I can reuse one of the 128 GB modules).
    So what should I do to move on a single M2 drive, instead of a raid, but without the restrain of not being able to update the bios. Should I do a fresh W10 install on the new drive?

I did find on Amazon an adapter to use the M2 externally via Thunderbolt 3; so I can use that to transfer the data.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    No problem, you can create RAID0 and update BIOS whenever it's needed, so all you have to do is keep regular backup of your system using Macrium Reflect free or similar program but that may be for another day and not.
    I will provide the instructions to use the drives as separate drives, download and install Macrium Reflect free.
    1.Backup the contents of your drive to an external HDD using Macrium Reflect.
    2.Create a bootable recovery USB stick with Macrium Reflect.
    3. Remove 2 SSD s(128GB) and install the new drive( say for example 512GB M.2 SSD), use a piece of electrical tape to hold the drive down, you can add the 128GB drive latter on in the second slot.
    4.Boot with the recovery USB disk and restore the image from the external HDD to the new drive.
    That's it, now your drives will be shown as separate drives.
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/
  • Arrhenius
    Thanks a lot for the info!
    BTW I just realized that the 2 slots are not both NVMe; so buying 2 expensive ones was not really the good way to go :) I did settle for a Crucial P1 3D CT1000P1SSD8 model, which seems to have good reviews. The other alternative is a Samsung Evo 970, which seems to have the same specs but cost like 50 dollars more.

In this way I can have the spare 128 GB in the laptop on the second M2 slot; probably should be fast enough to run the main OS; while the newer drive will have the applications and games.

Never heard of macrium; in the past I did copy the data with a free utility that would basically do a 1:1 copy on the new drive, so I would just need to do the copy and then swap the drive, without the need to create an image and then restore it on the new drive. But I assume your method is better due to the fact that I always have a backup copy, in case something goes bad; which is a great point.

Trying this as soon as I get the new drive. Thanks!

• Hi,
    You are welcome, yes, go ahead with whichever method you are happy with and good luck :)
  • Arrhenius
    Thanks again :)

One question, since I never used anything but ancient Norton to make images: since the drive size are different; do I just image letting macrium copy all the partitions as they are? I assume it will expand the partition on the bigger drive; or do I have to do it manually, kinda like with Linux when you expand the partitions after cloning a drive.
  • Hi,
    You can resize partitions with Macrium reflect or you can create partitions and drag the appropriate partitions from the smaller drive to the new drive(512GB).