Predator Helios 300 CPU overheating !!!

Harishvar
Harishvar Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
i recently bought(4-5 days back) an acer predator helios 300 with i5 8th gen (8300H) and gtx 1060...the system has been performing seemingly well and all the games were running very smooth...i tried nfs payback, pubg mobile, nfs the run, nfs rivals...finally when i wanted to play my favorite title GTA V..the cpu was overheating..(while opening GTA V i get a popup error that my system does not match the minimum cpu frequency but when i click ok it continues and opens the game)..i kept my fans at max and turned on cool boost from predator sense but even then the maximum temperature was 95 degrees for the cpu..but the gpu temperature was fine (70-80)...

Now i updated the bios and nvidia graphics driver and raising the rear of the laptop , the max temp now according to predator sense is 88 degrees for the cpu...is this ok ??(but i still want to bring down the temps)

and also this is a new rig, so there is no chance of any dust or something getting clogged..so i dont know whats wrong with my pc...should i send it for replacement(maybe i have a defective piece) or what should be done?? And also is this problem only happening with my device alone or is it faced by all the models of predator helios 300 due to poor cooling??? Also i havent done any undervolting or any such kinda thing...Any helps would be appreciated...Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>should i send it for replacement>>>

You must quickly find out the time limit on the vendor's returns policy on refunds and replacements? Do this now. You must get it resolved before that time limit is reached because ACER warranty service will take longer. Meanwhile some of the other might chime in with some suggestions. But anything below about 95*C under full load should be just fine for this system. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Do this video first:

https://youtu.be/XTPMwQKlfPE

Then follow this one but set undervolt values to -0.145 for core and cache - Also set turbo ratio limits to 36 for all values instead of the videos 32:

https://youtu.be/N3v3o21M8gg

Then follow this video using the profile for your models GPU:

https://youtu.be/nYW7ROFx2Kk

Results should be temps in the high 70s or low 80s with performance equal to the desktop varient of your specs.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Harishvar
    Harishvar Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>should i send it for replacement>>>

You must quickly find out the time limit on the vendor's returns policy on refunds and replacements? Do this now. You must get it resolved before that time limit is reached because ACER warranty service will take longer. Meanwhile some of the other might chime in with some suggestions. But anything below about 95*C under full load should be just fine for this system. Jack E/NJ
    Hi JackE,
    i have requested for the replacement as per your suggestion...but i wanted to ask whether this overheating of the cpu is seen only in some of these predator helios 300 models or do all the models from this series suffer from the same issue ??? because when the package was shipped, it was brand new and the seal wasn't broken, then how could a brand new piece pose a problem within just 4-5 days of usage...also i dont know why did acer pose such a serious thermal issue with this series as most of the reviews are stating that this rig is weak only in the thermals...anyways one more update i wanted to give was that today when again i was playing GTA V and NFS Payback, i was shocked to see the max temp in predator sense spiking up to 97 degrees infact i raised the rear of my laptop for airflow and fans were at max and cool-boost turned on...i was scared and had to quit the game and gradually the temps came down...i dont whats going on with my new device...Really upset with this issue :-(

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Please try my previous response before returning as it doesn't violate warranty and will help greatly.

Also FYI all laptops with these specs perform the same (If not worse on some brands) the Helios is a very good machine with a little tweaking.

Awaiting your results.
    - Hotel Hero
  • iammaitrish
    iammaitrish Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

But when im using -0.145 the game is crashing itself but while im using 120 or 125 the temps are bouncing between 92 to 99 . Help me here red sand 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If the game is crashing on -145mV, that means the voltage is too low. If the temperature is still high on -120mV, then undervolting is not enough and repasting of the components is needed.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• iammaitrish
    iammaitrish Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

I have tried repasting . It doesn't help 
  • JackE
    iammaitrish

Did you start this thread under another username? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    What paste did you use? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PRGA9
    PRGA9 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Plz tell me that overheating reduces life span of my laptop , I jave got 1 year with my acer predator 2018 model which goes up to 90 degree everytime when I play. So I just want to know that is it save or it will reduce my pc 's life span.