Helios 500 98Y7 (i9) Still In Production?

ChevyCam94
ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited October 2018 in Predator Den
It might sound silly, but I'm genuinely starting to wonder.  I have 5 websites bookmarked that I check multiple times daily.  They ALL say it's on backorder or out of stock.  Last time I saw one listed anywhere, was just over a month ago.

Newegg.com

BHPhotoVideo.com

Amazon.com

DataVision.com

Adorama.com

Also, to make things a little weirder, the official page for that model on Acers site, now has the only purchase link it has, removed.  It WAS for DataVision.  It was the only link on the page, just below the price.

I asked Amazon if it was in stock, and I finally got a decent answer from someone higher up.  They say it will ship in 1-3 months (which is always 1-3 months from the day you're looking at the ad).  They said that they would only order one from an Acer manufacturing facility once I bought it, and that there was no real way to tell when I might get it.  It could be next week, or it could be the end of next year.  So yeah, I think I won't be buying from them.

Also, I'd prefer to buy it directly from Acer, but they don't list it for sale in their store.  They DO have the 72NU (i7 version) available though.

So, any idea's on where to find this thing, or is it even a thing anymore?  Could they have stopped manufacturing it because they found a defect that requires some more R&D before making it available again?

I was going to buy one to upgrade my old Predator 17 (G9-793-78CM).  Also going to use it for several comparison and benchmark videos for my YouTube channel, BUT, if I can't get a hold of one, that obviously won't work.

Comments

• ShamBuilder
    ShamBuilder Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited October 2018
    I think the are made by demand instead of being mass produced. So the listing on amazon will have the computer made and shipped to you some time after you order it. I was also waiting to get an i9 Helios 500 but opted to get the i7 instead since even that model is often out of stock (typing this on my Helios 500 rn xD).
  • ChevyCam94
    I have 3 YouTube channels, and a Twitch channel.  I do a ton of video editing, and streaming.  So the extra speed of the i9 is worth the extra money.

3 months seems like an awfully long time to wait for a laptop to be made.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I think if you order it from Amazon they will email you when its available and only then will you have to pay. And if you order it then they try to restock.
    - Hotel Hero
  • ChevyCam94
    edited October 2018
    If anyone is curious, Newegg JUST got them back in stock.  Like, a few minutes ago.  I nabbed one before they sell out again.  lol

On second thought.  I went back through my links and checked Newegg again.  It would seem I bought the only one they had in stock.  LMFAO.  ***** I'm lucky!
  • Red-Sand
    I saw that one for sale! Nice grab!
    - Hotel Hero
  • ChevyCam94
    Were you looking to buy it?  Just weren't fast enough?
  • ChevyCam94
    edited October 2018
    Holy ***** this thing is insane!  Haven't benched any Adobe Premiere or AfterEffects rendering yet, but it's blowing everything else away!  BEAST MODE ACTIVATE!
  • Red-Sand
    Were you looking to buy it?  Just weren't fast enough?
    No I have the i7-8750H model and im very pleased.

Lets see some benchmarks on that i9!!!
    - Hotel Hero
  • ChevyCam94
    Going to make several videos comparing the H500i9 to my old Predator 17