What is wrong with my Acer Predator 17 when the battery won't charge but laptop works plugged in?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Sounds like a battery short either internally or at its connector on the mainboard. Carefully inspect mainboard & battery connectors for possible cross connections or metal shard between the terminals. There seems to be 10 closely-spaced terminals on the connectors. If you don't find anything, then it probably is an internal battery short that you can't do much about except battery replacement. Unfortunately fairly expensive for this laptop. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DJRicoche
    DJRicoche Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    This same problem just started happening to me. Laptop is stuck at "0% available (plugged in - not charging).  I have went through all of the troubleshooting steps including the following:

1) Trying the battery reset pinhole switch (hold button for 4 seconds, let laptop sit for 5 minutes) - NO success
    2) Trying the above method, but letting the laptop sit powered down overnight - NO success
    3) Deleting the drivers in Win10 for BOTH the battery AND the charger, and restarting the machine - NO success
    4) Checking the "Chassis Intrusion" switch located next to the RAM expansion slots - NO success
    5) Removing the CMOS battery to do a BIOS reset - NO success
    6) Removing the bottom of the case and disconnecting the battery from the motherboard - (relatively easy to do, just keep track of the different screw lengths) and booting into windows.  Win10 then shows "No Battery Connected", but runs fine.  - NO success

The last thing I wanted to try was updating the BIOS, but the installer doesn't allow me to, because it requires the battery be at a 15% minimum charge.

At this point I have given up on troubleshooting this system and have ordered a replacement battery (about $90 online) as it is easy to change, and my machine is out of warranty anyway.  I will update this post if the new battery remedy's the problem, however I am not hopeful.

XXXXX This seems to be a common problem with ACER machines across the board.  None of the remedies they provide seem to fix the problem, and none of the methods users have found fix the problem either.

I do know this much, 2 years ago I gave ACER's then "new" line of gaming laptops a shot - and needless to say, I won't be buying another ACER product again, especially since I use my laptop to earn a living, and I need it to be 110% reliable. 

Daniel "DJ Ricoche" Geer

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• DJRicoche

Tinkerer

**UPDATE**

**WARNING**
    **DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN YOUR SEALED BATTERIES. 

A replacement battery pack solved the problem of not charging and was easy to replace.

However the condition of the old battery packs internals causes me massive concern.  The batteries are all leaking and corroded with the exception of the two middle ones - which tells me the electrolytes have all leaked out. Pretty bad quality given the laptop is only two years old.  The original battery in my ASUS ROG G74SX still holds a charge after 6+ years by comparison.

Had this battery leaked inside my laptop and corroded the main board or other components it would have been pretty awful. Nevermind that it could have just spontaneously burst into flames.

I think owners of Predator laptops should hold Acer accountable should any property damage or equipment failure occur. 

• JackE
    Thanks for the update. This issue seems be more widespread and prevalent in the last two years for many different rechargeable devices esp smartphones and hand tools. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi DJRicoche,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Predator laptop.  

Can you please send me a PM with the S/N of your unit so I can look into this for you?

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • Setho
    Setho Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited September 2018
    Hello, same problem. My predator is about 2 years old I believe. Just started last week, same issue as DJRicoche, though I don't have the hardware technical knowledge to attempt to take my computer apart like he did, I did try all of the same things. Shuts off randomly, wont charge. No fixes make a difference.
  • DJRicoche

Tinkerer

Setho-

Try PMing Acer-Manny.  I suspect all of these batteries are doing what mine did. 

He was very helpful in my case. 

Disassembling the laptop is quite simple with only a dozen screws or so holding the bottom cover on. There are several guides online as well that show how to do it. Just keep track of what screws go where, as some are longer than others. Once the screws are out a bit of force is required to get the full bottom panel off, but just take your time and you should be fine. 

Once inside, the battery is super simple to replace - another 6 screws and one plug, remove the old battery and replace with a new one (about $80 online). Simply plug the new battery in, reinstall its screws, then do the same with the back cover and you are done! 
  • axa
    axa Member Posts: 4 New User
    DJRicoche said:
    Setho-

Try PMing Acer-Manny.  I suspect all of these batteries are doing what mine did. 

Disassembling the laptop is quite simple with only a dozen screws or so holding the bottom cover on. There are several guides online as well that show how to do it. Just keep track of what screws go where, as some are longer than others. Once the screws are out a bit of force is required to get the full bottom panel off, but just take your time and you should be fine. 

Once inside, the battery is super simple to replace - another 6 screws and one plug, remove the old battery and replace with a new one (about $80 online). Simply plug the new battery in, reinstall its screws, then do the same with the back cover and you are done! 
    This has also happened to me. The battery no longer charges and I think it is interfering with my graphics. In the nvidia control panel I am no longer given the option to prioritize gpu and my computer is attempting to force to run some games with the cpu which is resulting in blank screens. It's weird and can be temporarily fixed by disabling either the gpu or cpu but I do not consider this a real fix. Both problems happened around the same time and I thought it was a windows update messing with my graphics but I'm leaning toward the battery issue.

I tried everything to fix the battery problem, so I am certain that the battery is dead. I also am not impressed with Acer over this and my next laptop will be from another company.

I am trying to figure out what I am supposed to purchase. What is the battery called?
  • JackE
    @axa >>>I thought it was a windows update messing with my graphics but I'm leaning toward the battery issue.>>>

If system protection was enabled you can use the Win10update restore point in Control Panel to check this out especially if this happened on or about Oct 2, the release date of the last major update. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• axa
    axa Member Posts: 4 New User
    JackE said:
    @axa >>>I thought it was a windows update messing with my graphics but I'm leaning toward the battery issue.>>>

If system protection was enabled you can use the Win10update restore point in Control Panel to check this out especially if this happened on or about Oct 2, the release date of the last major update. Jack E/NJ
    I believe it started around or a little bit before August. It has been going on for a few months.
  • JackE
    @axa OK. Check to see if any other restore points exist around or a little bit before August. Back up whatever you've done since then if you decide to go back to the restore point. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DoctorSiontist
    DoctorSiontist Member Posts: 1 New User
    DJRicoche said:
    Setho-

Im having the same issue. Trying to figure out how to send Manny a PM. Is there a PM button I'm overlooking?

• JackE
    edited January 2019
    DoctorSiontist Just click on this link to Acer-Manny   The personal messaging button to Manny should be there. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SquishyMuffin
    SquishyMuffin Member Posts: 30 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited February 2019
    DJRicoche said:
    axa said:
    This has also happened to me. The battery no longer charges and I think it is interfering with my graphics. In the nvidia control panel I am no longer given the option to prioritize gpu and my computer is attempting to force to run some games with the cpu which is resulting in blank screens. It's weird and can be temporarily fixed by disabling either the gpu or cpu but I do not consider this a real fix. Both problems happened around the same time and I thought it was a windows update messing with my graphics but I'm leaning toward the battery issue.

I tried everything to fix the battery problem, so I am certain that the battery is dead. I also am not impressed with Acer over this and my next laptop will be from another company.

I am trying to figure out what I am supposed to purchase. What is the battery called?
    A replacement battery pack solved the problem of not charging and was easy to replace.

Hey guys,

My battery suddenly seems to have broken too. Like others, when unplugging the AC power cord the laptop shuts down. Even though there's a 100% charged battery with no warnings in the device manager. Acer Care center shows the battery's condition as good.

I've gone to the effort of dissembling the laptop to reach the battery. Where I gave it the middle finger, unplugged the connector to the motherboard and then reconnected it. Nothing... The switch looking thing next to the RAM module and cover thing look fine to me (I think, see pictures)

Does it look alright? I haven't opened it in a reasonably amount of time so I'm not sure how it could break or wear down all of a sudden if it isn't okay.

Where did you buy the replacement battery from @DJRicoche? Is it performing as the original (before the issues of course).

Mine is turning three years old coming this summer. If more and more people report issues akin to this with similarly aged machines I really think it is unacceptable and we should seek compensation for a product that isn't fit for prupose under consumer laws tbh.

@axa what you detail about the laptop unable to determine with some programs whether to use dgpu or igpu is what I've had in the last couple of months with Epic Games Launcher games, Nvidia Shadowplay etc. But my battery issue only cropped up in the last week. Do you really think they are related? I never would of put two and two together like that :S Always thought it was really poor optimus drivers from Acer/Nvidia.

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    If you suspect your battery is faulty contact acer support for a possible repair/replacement

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• predatorchap
    predatorchap Member Posts: 1 New User
    same thing happened to me yesterday with my predator 15 with a gtx 1070. i usually leave my laptop on and plugged in, when i returned after using the little boys room i found my laptop turned off. first time it happened since i bought it over 2 years ago. now the battery wont charge and stuck at 0%. i also did the supposed fixes above but nothing happened. my speakers wont function anymore as well, it happened a year ago, i had to buy separate speakers just to use my laptop. i had an ASUS ROG laptop before my acer predator and no issues whatsoever with it, sold it with no hitches. now with the acer idk if this can be sold as is or if it can it certainly would be super cheap. i hope someone in acer can fix this issue it certainly is a deal breaker for me. 
  • JackE
    predatorchap

You probably either need a new battery or its mainboard connector needs to be re-seated a few times to clean its contacts. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Vonduck1
    Vonduck1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi chaps, been following this thread for a while trying to sort my problem out with the Acer Predator G791..
    In my efforts have reset the battery - fail... bought new battery and installed - fail... bought new PSU x 2 - fail....still continually get the "available, plugged in, charging" but no charge of course...

I am taking out the battery today and leaving it out as it randomly shuts down my PC when for some reason the PC thinks it is using battery power...a critical sign shows up and shutdown...

Not long ago i re applied thermal paste to all my surfaces...bought down the temperatures well... but this confounded problem still exists... i am in Mexico and i am loathed to take the machine to a store here for repairs...

Bought this acer in 2016 form new...very surprised it is malfunctioning so quickly!
  • Vonduck1
    JackE said:
    predatorchap

You probably either need a new battery or its mainboard connector needs to be re-seated a few times to clean its contacts. Jack E/NJ

Exactly how does one do this main board connector cleaning?
  • Vonduck1
    I just disconnected my battery to see if anything changes...will report back...
This discussion has been closed.