i have acer nitro 5 ryzen 5 2500u, my cpu doesnt go beyond 1.6ghz while on battery need help?

ayushn212
ayushn212 Member Posts: 44 Devotee WiFi Icon
acer nitro 5 AN515 42
ryzen 2500u cpu ( 2ghz base clock and 3.6ghz boost clock) with rx560x graphics

the problem is while on battery cpu doesnt go beyond 1.6ghz ( even under high performance settings)

but when i plug in adapter it can go upto 3.6 ghz or 3ghz on single and multi core, i checked on hardware monitor while running cinnebench r15

i want to know if its normal or my cpu should be hitting 3 ghz while on battery or there is aproblem with cpu/motherboard ?

Best Answer

• gshaw
    gshaw Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    ayushn212 said:
    its depends on amd as ryzen mobile processor is fairly new and all we can do is wait but i think they shouldnot make the same mistake with 3rd gen ryzen mobile cpu's
    As I have written earlier on this thread, it's not a bug, it is a feature, as confirmed by Acer support. I have an Acer Aspire A515-41 with A12-9720P and an Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 with Ryzen 5 2500U, both with exactly the same issue. It is hard locked from the manufacturer for increased battery life, and nothing will change it. It is a common issue on all Acer laptops with AMD CPUs.
    As far as performance it concerned, the reduced frequency does not really matter for daily usage. Of course, it affects heavy usage scenarios like gaming. However, the kind of slowness mentioned by some users should be attributed to the mechanical HDD rather than the CPU. Add an SSD, and ideally upgrage the RAM to dual channel 16GB, and then notice the change in performance!

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Download and run Realtemp free program, click settings and check whether the box for Disable turbo is ticked, if so untick it and check whether it helps.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

• ayushn212
    Hi,
    Download and run Realtemp free program, click settings and check whether the box for Disable turbo is ticked, if so untick it and check whether it helps.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

the real temp only supports intel processor but my nitro 5 has ryzen 5 2500u
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Hi @ayushn212
    I'm sorry, I have completely forgot about it, I think they have disabled Turbo boost to preserve the battery life while in Battery mode, you can not also do much in BIOS settings as most of the laptops don't have Advanced settings enabled. I have run out of ideas but please wait for someone else to chime in.
  • First make a backup of regedit:

Then check if this file helps you: http://www.geeks3d.com/dl/get/10060
    Then go into the power options and put into aggressive mode on both the battery and the power:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ayushn212
    i tried that, power options settings doesnt help. cpu has no problem boosting while plug in maybe now i am thinking cpu being at 1.6 ghz on battery is firmware or bios problem.
  • What version of bios is installed on your notebook?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • MaxGamer
    MaxGamer Member Posts: 110 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi,
    I have read about similar issues faced by you before on other forums. Ryzen CPUs have some sort of bug known as multiplier bug or multibug where they tend to get stuck at a low frequency on battery. People have fixed this issue by updating the BIOS but Acer has not released a BIOS update, and some have replaced their mobo to fix it. Can you please answer these questions.
    1.  From when did you start facing this issue?
    2. Did you try to overclock or undervolt your CPU?
    Don't forget to accept my answer if I was able to help you out!
    Just a tech enthusiast who tries to help other people : )

Acer Nitro AN515-52-593F ||Intel Core i5-8300H upto 4.00 GHz/GTX1050/8GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM/1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD+16B Intel Optane Memory||

Acer Support: https://support.acer.com/
  • ayushn212
    i just bought acer nitro 5 an515 42 3 day ago and i faced this problem right from start, laptop comes with all the latest drivers and bios 1.08 as available on acer website.
    also i didnot overclock and undervolted the cpu as of now
  • OK! Go into power options and select the High Performance option! Then go on to change advanced power settings and in all options, put the same setting as being in power, especially in the processor power management option!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ayushn212
    OK! Go into power options and select the High Performance option! Then go on to change advanced power settings and in all options, put the same setting as being in power, especially in the processor power management option!

yes i have tried that in advanced power options the thing is there is no effect of power saver mode and high performance mode on the cpu speed. and the only time the cpu gets boost speed is when i plug in the adapter as soon as i plug in i can see in the task manager that cpu is reaching upto 3 ghz. otherwise it is maxed out at 1.6ghz in battery.
  • MaxGamer said:
    Hi,
    I have read about similar issues faced by you before on other forums. Ryzen CPUs have some sort of bug known as multiplier bug or multibug where they tend to get stuck at a low frequency on battery. People have fixed this issue by updating the BIOS but Acer has not released a BIOS update, and some have replaced their mobo to fix it. Can you please answer these questions.
    1.  From when did you start facing this issue?
    2. Did you try to overclock or undervolt your CPU?
    I think colleague @MaxGamer is correct! I would not worry about this problem for now, as it is possible that several bios updates are still released, because your model is still fresh!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    Your notebook also has the same problem of processor clocked in 1.6ghz on the battery as that of colleague @ayusnh212?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• anoxssj
    anoxssj Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited October 2018
    my processor works fine I guess. It goes up to around 3.3 GHz while running the game.

• What I want to know is if the model of your notebook is the same as the colleague @ayusnh212? Can you tell the exact model of your notebook? Example v3-571! The notebook of the colleague @ayusnh212, when connected only on the battery, the clock of the processor gets locked in 1.6ghz and I wonder if that same problem occurs in yours too! Can you tell the version of your bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• anoxssj

Tinkerer

The model of my notebook is AN515-42 and bios version is 1.08.
    I also noticed now that my cpu is getting locked at 1.6 GHz on battery!
  • What is the version of windows 10 installed? 1803 or 1809? 

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• anoxssj

Tinkerer

It's running version 1709
  • I recommend you guys to have Acer launch a new bios update!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• anoxssj

Tinkerer

Will updating the system solve the problem considering that FIFA 19 is new and my system ran FIFA 18 at ultra in 1080p?
  • I'm not sure if a windows update will solve the problem! You can try to update windows, but rather back up your files and turn on system protection! Make an image of the system with the acer care center!
    However I think this will be solved with a bios update!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer