Laptop crashes after auto updating.

TejasD
TejasD Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hey! So my laptop auto updated today and after updating, It started crashing/glitching. Laptop crashed after the first reboot and then the screen started acting up. I thought this was a Windows issue so I did a factory reset. That didn't fix the issue either. 
Anyone has any ideas how to fix this? 
Should I get it fixed at a service centre?
My Laptop - Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315 - 51

Best Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    I would not recommend the bios downgrade!
    Try this: go back to the bios, but this time move the monitor to see if the problem manifests itself in the bios! If the problem only manifests in the bios when the monitor is moved, it is possible that the ribbon cable is faulty or incorrectly attached! If the problem does not manifest itself when you move the monitor on the bios, it may be just a driver problem!
    When leaving the bios, click on load setup defaults so that a bug that was present in the previous version is corrected!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    OK! Keep testing and report the problem here!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• OK! First try resetting the battery! To do this, turn off the notebook completely, and then press the battery reset hole for five seconds. Then leave the notebook off for five minutes and test!
    If it still does not work, press alt + f10 before the Acer logo to access the Acer recovery partition!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TejasD
    Here is the link to the screen glitch I was talking about. 
    https://youtu.be/7FJSE4nePaI

• Commodore_1995#
    edited October 2018
    First try resetting the battery like I said before! See if it solves the problem!
    You can also check if the screen flashes when you enter the bios! To enter the BIOS, press and hold the f2 key as soon as you turn on the notebook! Do not change anything in the bios and then select the exit and discarding changes option to exit the bios!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TejasD
    First try resetting the battery like I said before! See if it solves the problem!
    You can also check if the screen flashes when you enter the bios! To enter the BIOS, press and hold the f2 key as soon as you turn on the notebook! Do not change anything in the bios and then select the exit and discarding changes option to exit the bios!
    Hey! 
    Thank you for the reply.
    I forgot to mention a couple of things here. 
    I factory reseted my laptop twice. 
    I didn't erase my data when I did the initial reset. 
    but after the intial reset, I couldn't access the homescreen or anything. Laptop would crash before I could open anything.
    Everytime with a different stop code.
    It worked fine till the login page.
    I did a full reset again (wiping my data this time). Selected the option which said "Choose this if you will be using this laptop"
    The laptop worked for about 30 mins after that but it crashed eventually. I tried rebooting again but laptop crashed again after an hour.
    I can access everything right noe but I'm pretty sure it will crash again.
    Predator is running on Windows 1709.
    I can get into BIOS without the screen flashing.
    I would like to add that when I first got the laptop a couple of months back, It had the freeze/hang issue which was very common. I found the official fix to that (Bios update 1.15) 
    My current BIOS version is 1.19
    Should I flash 1.15 again?
  • Commodore_1995#
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Try this: go back to the bios, but this time move the monitor to see if the problem manifests itself in the bios! If the problem only manifests in the bios when the monitor is moved, it is possible that the ribbon cable is faulty or incorrectly attached! If the problem does not manifest itself when you move the monitor on the bios, it may be just a driver problem!
    When leaving the bios, click on load setup defaults so that a bug that was present in the previous version is corrected!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TejasD
    I did exactly what you said.
    No flashing of screen noticed.
    Laptop booted properly. No crashes so far.
    Will update you if anything happens in the next couple of hours.

• Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    OK! Keep testing and report the problem here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TejasD
    Okay so no further crashes noticed. 
    But I was wondering how I am supposed to update drivers or windows?
    Should I stick with the current version forever or update to the latest one.
    Also, from where should I update drivers?
    A couple of apps aren't working after the reset - like the nortan security. I'm reinstalling it just in case it was an application problem.

• Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    page faults errors  areusually ram memory problem. remove the rams, clean the contacts of the ram module and reinsert them.

many people consider norton security itself to be a virus type app. builtin windows defender is good and enough.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • I would uninstall third-party apps that I do not usually use! You do not need norton because windows already has the defender!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• The drivers provided by the manufacturer are optimized for your model! No need to update them!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TejasD
    UPDATE- Laptop crashed again today. stop code : System thread exception not handled.
    What should I do now? 
  • Is the screen still blinking?
    I would now try to update the drivers for the latest versions! I usually use the driverbooster program only in an emergency situation. Make sure the driverbooster solves your problem. No need to download the dashlane or gaming software: https://download.cnet.com/Driver-Booster/3001-18513_4-75992725.html?part=dl-
    If that does not resolve, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C18BzcuhNkM

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TejasD
    Laptop crashed twice today with the same stop code (Thread exception not handled ntfs.sys). I can use my laptop after restarting.
    Screen isn't blinking or anything. 
    Should I use the driver booster program?
  • TejasD
    I found a fix from Microsoft regarding this. 
    Should I reinstall both Nvidia and Intel graphic card or just the nvidia one? Also, where should I download the drivers from? Official Nvidia site?
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-system-thread-exception-not-handled/e0923d79-f4eb-4a1c-9b3e-afe0c46e4668

• First turn on system protection! Then download the driverbooster program or go straight to the intel website and let the sites do the automatic search!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TejasD
    Hey! So I lodged a complaint to my nearest acer service centre and they installed a new ssd and a fresh copy of Windows. I thought the problem was gone but when I'm trying to fire up Far Cry 5, laptop crashed again.
    Attaching the Screenshots,
    Also, if this makes any difference, I tried changing preferred graphic processor from Nvidia Control Panel and got a pop up saying "Access denied. Failed to apply settings to your system"
    At the far cry menu, display turned blueish grainy.

• TejasD
    I contacted the service centre again and they are asking me to file another complaint...

• TejasD
    edited October 2018
    Quick question - Can I take nvidia driver from another laptop and install it in my own? Laptop worked fine on older drivers. I do have a dism cmd backup (not sure what to call it) of all the drivers from his laptop but I have no idea how i am supposed to install the drivers from there

• This problem seems to be driver! First turn on system protection:

No need to activate the program! No need to download dashboard and game programs!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer