CPU stuck at 0.79 GHz

Cliquegge
Cliquegge Member Posts: 6 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
My predator gaming system recently started running very slow - after much stuffing around I noticed the CPU speed does not go above 0.79GHz.
I have gone into power options and made sure it is on maximum - I have booted into BIOS to make sure there are no settings there that I can adjust.
Any ideas please - if is very frustrating.

Answers

• Does this happen when you enter chrome browsers? If so, maybe your problem is identical to mine! I solved by downloading the ify h264 extension and disabling the 60fps by that extension!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Cliquegge
    Hi - no it is happening all the time - it doesnt matter what application I open - what game I play - whether I am using chrome IE or firefox - the CPU speed as shown in Task manager is stuck at 0.79GHz - obviously this impacts the speed of my computer.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,076 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You could try a battery reset, this has helped some in the past, so it's worth a try, switch off the laptop, disconnect from mains, follow the instructions in the video, leave the laptop to rest for a while before starting again.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843/~/acer-internal-battery-reset
  • What is the exact model of your notebook? Have you checked that updating bios solves the problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Cliquegge
    Hey guys - it isnt a laptop it is a desktop - Acer predator g3 710 - i7-7700 3.60GHz - 16Gb - NVIDIA 1070
    I will look at a reset - I have done a bios reset but not a motherboard reset.

• What is the version of your bios? r01 or r02?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Cliquegge
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. R02-B0, 15/12/2017
    Thanks for your help too - I appreciate it

• Have you updated windows recently? Have you tried restoring the desktop by pressing alt + f10 when turning on the computer to see if it solves the problem? There is an even newer version for your model, r02-b1! However the update of the bios is risky and should only be done in the last case: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_R02-B1_A_A.zip?acerid=636603904499298279&Step1=DESKTOP&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR G3-710&OS=ALL&LC=pt&BC=ACER&SC=PA_3
    I do not take any responsibility for any damage!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Cliquegge
    Windows update did occur but it was after this problem started - I have not gone back to a restore point at this stage and this desktop does not have a restore function/area on the disk I can restore too.
    I have logged a call with Acer but I have to say their first level help desk person was of no assistance - he did not understand the issue - he was obviously taking information from a third party who also was not understanding what the problem is. I will be speaking with them again on Monday and if there is no resolution I will return the computer to the store I bought it from as it is still under warranty.
    It is disappointing as this is a well speced system and it performs well - normally.
    It seems this is not an isolated case for CPUs to be stuck - 
    I will try a motherboard reset next I think
    Thank you for you assistance

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,076 Trailblazer
    Cliquegge said:
    Windows update did occur but it was after this problem started - I have not gone back to a restore point at this stage and this desktop does not have a restore function/area on the disk I can restore too.
    I have logged a call with Acer but I have to say their first level help desk person was of no assistance - he did not understand the issue - he was obviously taking information from a third party who also was not understanding what the problem is. I will be speaking with them again on Monday and if there is no resolution I will return the computer to the store I bought it from as it is still under warranty.
    It is disappointing as this is a well speced system and it performs well - normally.
    It seems this is not an isolated case for CPUs to be stuck - 
    I will try a motherboard reset next I think
    Thank you for you assistance
    Hi,
    As it's a Desktop, try a power drain, switch it off, disconnect from mains, press the power button for few seconds and leave it to rest for a while, then try booting it.

• Cliquegge
    Tried this - left desktop off for 3 hours - still stuck 
  • This is not a hardware problem! Try this:
    enable safe mode safe mode, and then restart the notebook:

Press ctrl + shift + esc and make sure the processor clock is locked at 0.79ghz in safe mode!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Shlackslamer
    Shlackslamer Member Posts: 1 New User
    GUYS, its not that big of a issue, I'm going through the same thing on my DELL G7 laptop, i7-8th gen 256 gb ssd, 1 tb hard drive (bought separatly) 8 gb ram, the issue is that your thermal pasting needs to be re-applied is your pc is thermal bboosting or heats up a lot, or it could be dust as well