Nitro 5 Samsung NVME

Confused2080
Confused2080 Member Posts: 11 New User
Hello,

I just installed a Samsung NVME into the system with a new install of win 10 home.

I removed the 1tb ssd, before installing the NVME.

The Samsung software Magician says this drive is not supported, when supposedly it is and the NVME driver says that there is no nvme connected.

Bios is 1.19.  It is in UEFI

In Bios
Under INFORMATION  Sata mode: is RAID(cant seem to change anything there)

Under main
Sata Mode is RST with optane(if I switch to AHCI, the system boots to a blue error screen.

I've looked around and saw something called Intel rapid storage technology.  Am I missing this?  Do I need this?

Thanks for reading.

Answers

• This program is not identifying the nvme drives, how much they are configured in raid rst with optane mode in bios! Not a problem in your ssd!
    If you want your ssd to be detected by the program, you must enable safe mode and then restart the notebook:

Then enter the bios and switch from rst with optane to ahci and press f10 to save when exiting and your computer will enter safe mode and install the drivers! Then just uncheck the safe boot and reboot!
    However the ahci mode was made to work better in hds! I would opt to leave rst with optane active mode on bios!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Do not mess with intel rapid storage, because this program turned hd or ssd into recovery volume when some users tampered with this program!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Confused2080
    Thank you egydiocoelho,

I will take your advice and not use ahci, and stick with rst.

I just do not trust the windows drivers.  The Samsung ones have to be better no?
  • The drivers provided by the manufacturer are optimized for your model!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Confused2080
    Hello,

I performed a new win10 install on the nvme, I did not clone the 1tb drive to the nvme.  I was trying to avoid bloatware like the candy crush game etc.

So, I looked at the device manger and for the nvme the driver is supplied by microsoft.

Thanks. 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited October 2018
    What is your ssd model? Because samsung provides the nvme driver for your models!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Confused2080
    Hello,

It is a Samsung 970 Evo. The Samsung  NVME driver software says that there is no nvme connected and it wont install.

Thank you.

• Confused2080
    Hello,

But I was able to install win 10 on the nvme and the nvme is accessible i.e save files to, shows up in win 10  etc etc.  So it is working, I just think the Samsung drivers must be better than the generic win 10 drivers.  I do not understand why the Magic software wont work fully and the evo driver wont install.

Thank you.

• Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• On the magician not being able to detect ssd, it seems that it has some problem to detect ssd's that are configured in rst with optane mode! I would not worry about that, as long as it's working perfectly!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Confused2080
    Hello,

Yes, that nvme driver is what I have tried to install a few times now. It just gives me the same message.  No nvme found/installed.

I saw this on the pdf page 4:

M.2 or PCIe slot connected to PCH.
    However, in the PCH case, Windows Operating System
    can not load the driver under the following bios configurations where the PCH storage configuration is set to raid mode

As I said earlier in my first post, in the system the bios under the information tab,  Sata mode: is RAID and I can not seem to change ANY settings.

I wonder why

A) I am locked out of making changes on the information tab in the bios and
    B) if this setting is what needs to change to allow me to install the samsung nvme driver

• Confused2080
    edited October 2018
    Hello,

I tried that nvme driver.  What I noticed on the pdf was this:

However, in the PCH case, Windows Operating System can not load the driver under the following Bios configurations where
    PCH storage configuration is set to "Raid mode"

So, going into the bios, the first tab in the bios is information. The sata mode setting there is RAID.

I have not been to able to change any of the settings  on the information tab in the bios.

1) why cant I change settings on the information tab.
    2) is the Raid mode setting on the information tab causing the block on installing the samsung nvme driver?

Thanks
  • In order for it to be recognized, change to ahci! However, changing to this mode may cause windows to crash! I will not be responsible for any damage or loss of files!
    Try this:
    a) press windows + r and type msconfig! Go to System Boot and select Safe Boot and restart;

b) Change rst with optane mode to ahci and press f10 to save when exiting!
    Resultado de imagem para rst with optane bios

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Confused2080
    Thanks for trying to help.

I may just leave things as they are.  I am going to keep close eye on the nvme to make sure that win 10 is handling it ok.

Thanks.
  • It looks like they are going to launch a 5.3 of the magician program that fixes this problem! If ssd and notebook are working perfectly, I would not worry too much about it either!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• johndoe8912
    johndoe8912 Member Posts: 3 New User
    So umm, is it working now? Does the Samsung Magician recognize the NVMe when PCH storage is set to Raid mode?
  • @johndoe8912 The samsung magician only recognizes ssd in ahci mode. For this reason, the user has to change the sata mode in the bios.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer