Changing parts on Predator G6-710

Unconquered
Unconquered Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
edited February 15 in 2018 Archives
Hey, new to this forum, but hoping someone has run into this and can offer some guidance.  I should also mention that, while not completely computer illiterate, I am not well versed or practiced in these processes.

I've had my Predator G6-710 for about two and a half years, and a couple of things seem to be on the decline, and I want to replace them.  The first of these is the cooler on my Intel i7-6700k.  I'm not having any concerns with temperatures, hitting about 52º under load, but the fan is getting quite noisy and producing a hum that's very noticeable and irritating at idle.  I'm wondering what sort of fan I could use to replace the one that came with it, as I'm concerned about it fitting in the case properly.

Second, I want to replace the Seagate 1TB HDD that came with it, as mine is starting to make some fairly audible clicking sounds when loading things and I'm worried it's on it's way out.  Is there anything I need to be paying attention to specifically in terms of what connectors it uses, or will another of the same make be compatible with what's in here now.  Sorry if that's confusing, again, not very literate in terms of the actual parts.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Best Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Unconquered 
    You can upgrade the hard disk to SSD.
    Hard disk drive (HDD)
    This model has three Hard disk drive bays supporting 3.5-inch or 2.5-inch SATA 3.0 HDD
    Support 7200 rpm SATA HDD in 1TB/2TB/3TB/4TB capacities.
    Solid state drive (SSD)
    One M.2 slot supporting Solid State Drives (SSD)
    Support SSD in 128GB/256GB/512GB capacities

After installing the SSD, download Minitool partition wizard free program, run it as admin, use migrate feature( at the top), after the completion of migration, remove the HDD and try to boot with only the SSD, after confirming everything is fine, you may delete the OS from the HDD and use it for storage.
     https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html

Please create a USB recovery media before making any changes on your computer.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38147 

The below mentioned is the heatsink cooler for this model.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    A quick search on Amazon for "80X80X25 12v dc fan" gives me over a hundred choices, but it's possible they're location dependent.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Unconquered 
    You can upgrade the hard disk to SSD.
    Hard disk drive (HDD)
    This model has three Hard disk drive bays supporting 3.5-inch or 2.5-inch SATA 3.0 HDD
    Support 7200 rpm SATA HDD in 1TB/2TB/3TB/4TB capacities.
    Solid state drive (SSD)
    One M.2 slot supporting Solid State Drives (SSD)
    Support SSD in 128GB/256GB/512GB capacities

After installing the SSD, download Minitool partition wizard free program, run it as admin, use migrate feature( at the top), after the completion of migration, remove the HDD and try to boot with only the SSD, after confirming everything is fine, you may delete the OS from the HDD and use it for storage.
     https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
    https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/migrate-os-to-ssd-hd.html

Please create a USB recovery media before making any changes on your computer.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38147 

The below mentioned is the heatsink cooler for this model.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Unconquered
    edited October 2018
    Thank you @Sharanji for the info.  The HDD info is extremely helpful - as for the fan and heatsink, are there any options if I don't wish to replace with the same models?  Not totally sure how to assemble the fan and heatsink, and was sort of hoping for something that would already be assembled and ready to put in.  Was looking at the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo but thinking it's unlikely to fit in the case.  Anything comparable in performance but similar in size to what I have?
  • billsey
    The fans come it several standard sizes. Measure yours to find the hole spacing and thickness. Coming off the fan are two, three or four wires. Match the size, thickness, number of wires and speed (2500 RPM) and you should be good to go. I suggest a good quality fan with real bearing to last the longest.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Unconquered
    Can I just replace the fan that's attached to the heatsink, or do I have to take it all apart and may as well  get  a better heatsink at the same time?
  • Unconquered
    edited October 2018
    My issue is I'm having difficulty finding a fan of the proper size, the 80x80x25, so if anyone has a suggestion on one that would be fantastic and much appreciated.  If anyone here has had experience switching the fan and/or heatsink on the g6-710 and could recommend what they used  that would be great too.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    A quick search on Amazon for "80X80X25 12v dc fan" gives me over a hundred choices, but it's possible they're location dependent.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,016 Trailblazer
    For information, if you remove the fan of the heatsink, you'll find a sticker stating the brand and the part number.
    France