how to switch from intel to NVidia

ZiggyZig
ZiggyZig Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
just noticed my laptop hasn't been using it GPU . Need help to learn how to switch to it

Best Answer

• khuranan744
    khuranan744 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi, 
    In cases where both the Integrated Graphics and the Dedicated graphics are present on a system(also called Switchable Graphics), you don't actually need to switch between the graphics. The NVidia Control Panel has an exhaustive list of applications that usually run on a system, and when an application needs to power of the dedicated graphic card, such as Games, Video editing and all, the control panel switches the graphic card. So, usually, there won't be a manual need of switching.
    Yet in NVidia control panel, you can go to "Manage 3D settings" and under the "Programs" tab you can set which graphic card to take over the job for that specific program.
    Hope the above information was helpful. Drop me a message in case of further assistance.
    Regards

Answers

• khuranan744
    khuranan744 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    edited October 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi, 
    In cases where both the Integrated Graphics and the Dedicated graphics are present on a system(also called Switchable Graphics), you don't actually need to switch between the graphics. The NVidia Control Panel has an exhaustive list of applications that usually run on a system, and when an application needs to power of the dedicated graphic card, such as Games, Video editing and all, the control panel switches the graphic card. So, usually, there won't be a manual need of switching.
    Yet in NVidia control panel, you can go to "Manage 3D settings" and under the "Programs" tab you can set which graphic card to take over the job for that specific program.
    Hope the above information was helpful. Drop me a message in case of further assistance.
    Regards
  • DosWasBest
    DosWasBest Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I have the G3-572.  With windows 10, right click anywhere on a blank area of the desktop, select Nvidia Control Panel.  In the middle area of the upper middle panel, you see "global settings" and just below, "preferred graphics processor".  It's set to "auto-select" but you can manually switch it to the Intel embedded processor if desired.  Or even full-time nnvidia... although that would probably sap your battery much faster on a regular basis if not on ac.

I just leave the setting on "auto".  I'm not a gamer and the nvidia card hardly ever kicks in on the audio daw programs I use.  But it's nice to know it's there.

I believe there is a second area on Predators where one can select the integrated or Nvidia, but I don't remember where I've seen that.  Probably device manager or somewhere like that.