how to remove HDD

aasp
aasp Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
My computer is an Acer Aspire XC-780 destkop.
I want to swap the installed HDD with a SSD.
After taking off the lid I see the HDD and other than knowing how to unplug the power and data cables, I do not know how to physically remove the HDD out of its cage. Are there screws to remove, if so where are they.
I would appreciate step by step direction

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    Remove two screws which secures the ODD/HDD bracket to the chassis (snip 1), lift up the ODD/HDD  bracket (snip 2), remove 4 screws to release HDD from the bracket (snip 3), slide out the HDD and reverse the procedure for installation.

• MarkyB
    MarkyB Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi, my hard drive has died on my xc 780. I get the pictures above but struggling to get the front panel off to reach the screw. Are you able to provide details of how to remove the front panel. 
  • brummyfan2
    MarkyB said:
    Hi, my hard drive has died on my xc 780. I get the pictures above but struggling to get the front panel off to reach the screw. Are you able to provide details of how to remove the front panel. 
    Hi,
    1.Force eject ODD tray with a paper clip.
    2.Disengage the latch securing bezel to the ODD ray.
    3.Remove the bezel and push back the ODD until it clicks in to place.
    4.Release the retention tabs from chassis interior.
    5.Disconnect Power button/LED cable.
    6.Pull the front bezel away from the chassis.

• MarkyB
    MarkyB Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for your response. Managed to get the hard drive out, not sure I would of worked it out myself
  • brummyfan2
    MarkyB said:
    Thanks for your response. Managed to get the hard drive out, not sure I would of worked it out myself
    You are welcome :)
  • 130Haw
    130Haw Member Posts: 3 New User
    I want to do the same with my XC 230 and, at first sight, it looks the same. However it cannot see any tabs which will enable me to remove the bezel on the front of the CD drive.
    Help would be much appreciated
  • 130Haw
    At a very close examination, it would appear that the bezel is moulded as part of the CD drive. If that is correct, then the only way to get at the front screws holding the HDD is to remove the CDD. Could someone please confirm this? 
  • 130Haw
    For future reference, unplug the cables to CD drive, remove the bolt near the cables and the drive slides out. The other snag was that the bolts holding the 3.5" HDD were a different thread to those in the 2.5" to 3.5" adaptor holding the SDD. Fortunately there were three holes (why not four, I do not know) in the body of the disk bay so that the SDD could be bolted in place without an adaptor.