[SETTINGS TO REDUCE TEMPERATURES] Some settings to lower temperatures and increase performance

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    I do have a new profile.
    Testing your setup and not messing any of the extra features of the 8750H (extra registries in power menu) I also found a very slight delay when opening a program/game but very neglidgable.

Score of cinebench before your settings:
    Score after:

Very impressive optimization brother! Barely any drop in cinebench is very cool indeed.

Also I've noticed that this "Park Control" software merely adds the registries to the power menu and uses it's GUI as a visual way to change it.
    You can alter the profile as you like then save the power plan (I named mine Parked Performance) and you don't need to run "Park Control" to have the same effect(s).
    Correct, I enabled the power options, set the values, and then exit it. It doesn't need to be running all the time - but the entries it adds are valuable.
    Glad it could help you.

Most importantly, the slight lag is livable compared to greatly reduced temperatures - this being my end goal. Plus the lag isn't then when the program is running.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • sri369
    Red-Sand said:
    I have a concern though as before when I had tested this (few days back) I did notice that all my cores would park/sleep except for 2 threads (1 core) but now it seems all my threads stay active and fluctuate slightly. Very odd indeed.
    Maybe try setting frequency scaling to 0. I have at least 4 cores parked at all times under idle/low loads. Under medium, they come up, do the work, and go back to park state.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • I'll mess with the additional registries for the 8th gen and see if I can add some input to maintain your vision for those with 8th gen who want to utilize these registries.

There are options for things such as:
    1) Duty cycling
    2) Latency sensitivity
    3) Processor energy performance preference policy
    4) Processor performance autonomous mode
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    MrGrudev Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    @Red-Sand Except of decreasing performance (benchmark score), what is the gain? Any difference on temperatures under load?
  • MrGrudev said:
    @Red-Sand Except of decreasing performance (benchmark score), what is the gain? Any difference on temperatures under load?

I feel like i have something setup incorrectly as my CPUs dont park at all.

That being said I see no difference in temperatures but I would imagine when I figure out how to park them it would help.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    OK. I got it finally parking inactive cores.
    Although I have NO IDEA what I did lol.

Everything on the main screen of Park control is set to "enable" and I set all sliders to 0% and changed NO values in the registries. I left all of those default.

The result is that 2 of 12 threads are active for normal processes and when doing a task such as diabling indexing on my C drive (which is a long process) only 4 of 12 are actibe with no speed hinderances.

My temperatures are about 2 C cooler then when running this process before.

Going to run a 40 k frame Time Spy test and see if my temps lower from my previous ones.

So far this looks promising
    - Hotel Hero
  • Here is my 6 cores max temps running disable indexing on C drive:

- Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    @MrGrudev
    Reduction in temps is noticeable; plus battery lasts longer.

@Red-Sand
    Try increasing the threshold that has to be reached before pushing a core out of deep sleep to light sleep to on mode.
    Also, try setting your processor min usage to 0.
    Even on windows 10, i had my cores being parked actively.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    edited September 2018
    sri369 said:
    @MrGrudev
    Reduction in temps is noticeable; plus battery lasts longer.

@Red-Sand
    Try increasing the threshold that has to be reached before pushing a core out of deep sleep to light sleep to on mode.
    Also, try setting your processor min usage to 0.
    Even on windows 10, i had my cores being parked actively.

When you set all the sliders on the Park Control software to 0% it automatically sets minimum processor state to 0%.

Temps teduced to 70 C from 75 C fully overclocked (using only Predator Sense undervolt) no XTU no Throttlestop.
    *Edit* Max temps varried and maxed at 73 C when running tests back to back.

Now that cores are parking correctly my Cinebench score reduced from 1249 score to 1089 score (basically what score was before TDP uncap)
    I suspect the only reason the score is lower is because of that initial "lag" when starting up cinebench as my Time Spy score for the Physics rendering (CPU test) was the same most likely due to it being in the middle of the benchmark and cores already ramped up.

I'd say this is pretty darn successful.
    Well done @Sri369
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    @Red-Sand Glad it worked out well for you :-) For me too it actually put my normal load temps around 40s... rarely spiking to 50s to necessitate even fans to the level that their sound is audible. My laptop is practically whisper quiet unless under heavy loads.
    Also, I think the initial tiny lag is still a fair trade off compared to a cooler system. And increased battery life when on battery performing normal tasks.

I never thought a G3-572 would be so cool when under loads... i still remember how the temps were in 80s spiking to 90s frequently when playing this very game... as a stock machine.

EDIT: @Red-Sand If you could post the changes you made for your 8 series processor on top of mine, I shall mark that as answer so it is available right on the top level of this thread. Would help people with 8 series processors.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    Answer ✓
    Here's what I'm using now.
    Used the included Bitsum profile since it started high performance.

- Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Red-Sand said:
    Here's what I'm using now.
    Used the included Bitsum profile since it stated high performance.

10 out of 12 cores parked... you rock dude! Now you are giving your processor enough rest :-)
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Yeah bro I even paid for the PRO version.
    Not really for the features but for 3 bucks to have all the regustries plus GUI ain't bad.
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    I installed the ParkControl with the @Red-Sand settings. Same 10 out of 12 parked when idling. No difference noticed with the temperatures on idle and low load for now. I will try heavy gaming next days and will share results. Also no difference with Cinebench R15 - 1237. Highest I have ever achieved was 1247...
    With the Throttlestop TS Bench just a slight decrease from best 123.100 to 124.500 which is negligible.
    Have you noticed any difference with and without Dynamic Boost?
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    @MrGrudev @Red-Sand

Below are my CineBench values... I am not sure how Cinebench scores and such. So let me know if these are any good.

Also, max temps: CPU - 63, GPU - 49.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    edited September 2018
    MrGrudev said:
    I installed the ParkControl with the @Red-Sand settings. Same 10 out of 12 parked when idling. No difference noticed with the temperatures on idle and low load for now. I will try heavy gaming next days and will share results. Also no difference with Cinebench R15 - 1237. Highest I have ever achieved was 1247...
    With the Throttlestop TS Bench just a slight decrease from best 123.100 to 124.500 which is negligible.
    Have you noticed any difference with and without Dynamic Boost?

Are you on the Helios 300 i7 8th model?
    What's your current temps max?

Dynamic boost simply lets you swap between power plans after a set time limit and doesn't effect performance outside of those plans. I think default is a auto swap to your set secondary plan after 300 seconds. I have mine swap to balanced after 300 seconds. 

The idea was to increase battery life more than lessen temps as my registries were not changed much.  I imagine temps in a game would differ more than if running a bench since benches are designed to max out performance of the CPU/GPU.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369 said:
    @MrGrudev @Red-Sand

Below are my CineBench values... I am not sure how Cinebench scores and such. So let me know if these are any good.

Also, max temps: CPU - 63, GPU - 49.

That is a normal score for the i7-7700HQ.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    edited September 2018
    I've also found for the i7-8750H where normally the CPU sits at 3.9-4.0ghz when idle can be adjusted by setting the values for the registries:
    "Processor Energy Performance Preference Policy"

I tested with cinebench and scores do not change adjusting this speed shift epp.
    - Hotel Hero
  • MrGrudev
    @sri369 That normal score. I asked a friend of mine which has i7-7700HQ undervolted -100 mV to run cinebench. His result is 734.
    @Red-Sand Yes my notebook is Helios 300 with i7-8750H CPU.
    Attached is a screenshot after a night of idling. Maintained 40 deg steady. I think before installing the park control I was idling at about 33-34. Will try the next few night between balanced and Bitsum power plan.
  • Red-Sand
    edited September 2018
    It doesn't look like park control is set right.. all your cores are at 3.4ghz even when parked.

It could be Throttlestops EPP overriding its features. With park control you dont need throttlestop.

I actually managed to hijack the XTU Service from Predator Sense last night and use it to undervolt then use Park Control for EPP/Parking and it does slightly better than Throttlestop does.

Can you show park controls?
    - Hotel Hero
This discussion has been closed.