thanes
thanes Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in Predator Laptops
is there any ways to disable battery while ac adapter plugged in

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @thanes
    Do you say that the battery discharges even when plugged in ac adapter ?
    Is it Helios 300?
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • thanes
    thanes Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    yes, even though battery in 100%  while gaming it drops 
    but today it drops to 3% and after plugged in it gets back to 98% that is my concern 
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @thanes

Go to Device manager, expand Batteries, highlight and right click "Microsoft ACPI-compliant control method Battery", click Properties, uninstall the driver in Driver tab, reboot the laptop and let Windows install the driver. HTH.

• M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    thanes said:
    Supposedly it is possible for laptop to dischargr battery while its plugged in.
    When you use it in very demanding apps and ac is not enough to provide enough power laptop will use both ac and battery.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    A laptop depleating to about 95% then trickle charging back up to 100% while in use is NORMAL.

All laptops do it.

My Dell, my Lenovo, my Alienware etc. It's a feature added by someone smarter then me cause I don't get it. 😂

You will notice your battery will say "fully charged" when plugged in but when you unplug sometimes if its in that cycle it starts at 95-99%.

If it ever drops below 95% then start considering what the draw is from..
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    thanes said:
    I would seriously advise against this! You could manually enable and disable, but then...

1. SSD depends on battery to retain data, even when laptop is turned off... it needs trickle current every once in a while. Without battery power, you would risk losing data.
    2. Laptop cannot get 100% of needed power from power supply alone when putting in significant load - it uses power supply and some from battery too as needed.. like when playing heavy games. Also this is why i advise people to get SSD purely for windows and heavy games and a regular platter for disk for storing work and such.

But then why do you want to do this? To save battery? I have laptops from over 6 years old, constantly on power with battery at 100%, and after all these years of use have well over 50% of charge retained. This is pretty good by any standards.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    A laptop depleating to about 95% then trickle charging back up to 100% while in use is NORMAL.

All laptops do it.

My Dell, my Lenovo, my Alienware etc. It's a feature added by someone smarter then me cause I don't get it. 😂
    Cos that up to 5% is used normally for trickle charging SSDs when laptop is off. Also batteries leak some power to circuitry over time, albeit negligible. This in turn makes laptop turning on trigger battery charging every time laptop is turned on in turn degrading battery sooner. The latter reason is why this buffer region (5% from 95% to 100%) is set as no charge region.
    Infact most recent Asus laptops come with an option of "always connected to power" that stop charging once battery reaches, i think, about 60%. This extends battery life significantly.
    (I hope Acer releases this kind of software for Predators too.)
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    sri369 said:
    thanes said:
    I would seriously advise against this! You could manually enable and disable, but then...

1. SSD depends on battery to retain data, even when laptop is turned off... it needs trickle current every once in a while. Without battery power, you would risk losing data.
    2. Laptop cannot get 100% of needed power from power supply alone when putting in significant load - it uses power supply and some from battery too as needed.. like when playing heavy games. Also this is why i advise people to get SSD purely for windows and heavy games and a regular platter for disk for storing work and such.

But then why do you want to do this? To save battery? I have laptops from over 6 years old, constantly on power with battery at 100%, and after all these years of use have well over 50% of charge retained. This is pretty good by any standards.
    Its important to mention that ssd need to be plugged off form power source for at least 7 days (in some cases even for a year) until it starts to losing data stored on it, if someone needs to plug off battery for repasting etc. there is nothing to be afraid off.
  • sri369 said:
    thanes said:

The draw the laptop has shouldn't technically draw from the battery.

I've tested my Helios 300 by disconnecting the battery entirely and used it for a good couple months with no issues.

I do agree that normally if too much power is drawn ot does deplete battery though.

I guess it comes down ti whats being used and user settings.
    - Hotel Hero
  • PSnow
    PSnow Member Posts: 1 New User
    @sri369
    What are you talking about? I am on a Dell E7270 right now. The battery died and I discarded it. I've been using the laptop on off, for years, ONLY on AC power. It has a 256 GB SSD.
  • AKSKMY
    AKSKMY Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hi is there a way to "disconnect" the battery without having to actually remove it physically?

• sri369
    edited October 2023

@AKSKMY You would need to disconnect the wire that connects the battery to the motherboard. But doing this could render your system behaving abnormally under sustained heavy loads for the the supplied charger may not be able to supply all the needed power. You may be able to use it at a lowered performance levels.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 7,524 Pathfinder

Depending on the vintage, if your laptop still uses a detachable battery or an internal battery the answer for the latter is no. You have to open the laptop and disconnect the battery ribbon cable at the motherboard side (small connector). This is mostly done to test the battery if a system won't boot, if it boots with the power adapter only but not with the battery the battery needs to be replaced. Not a permanent solution as explained above.

• AKSKMY
    AKSKMY Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I see. Idk why but ya I turn off and on the ACPI driver and restart seems to make it more stable for the time being. But not sure if I should bother fixing this (aka change battery) as I've just gotten a new laptop so intention was just use this at home without the battery. If only I can still use HDMI with ACPI disabled I think that would solve the issue!

Also noted idk why suddenly the battery readings are all over the place.

• sri369

Looks like your battery has degraded heavily. I have this software on multiple laptops and never it goes with a reading with a discrepancy of over 5%. In your case you have over 60% wear, and so 18.5 looks correct (~40% of 50).

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
This discussion has been closed.