Deleted PQSERVICE partition by mistake. How to recover it back?

JoshJoseph
JoshJoseph Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
While installing windows 10 on my Acer Aspire E1-571 I deleted PQSERVICE partition by mistake. Will  it cause any problems to my laptop in future? How to recover it back? Will it have any effect while I m installing upgrade of my BIOS?
Thanks in advance.😀😀

Best Answer

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,077 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    As I said earlier, you have deleted the Recovery partition, only way to get it back and the PQSERVICE partition is to get a recovery USB from Acer and install Windows 8/8.1 whichever came with your laptop, please do not try to update BIOS, you may brick(inoperable) your laptop, so I would suggest you to buy the recovery USB from Acer store or get a local repair shop install the OS for you, Windows 10 OS doesn't have PQSERVICE partition and only Recovery partition. As for your BIOS not having the option in Boot tab is very strange but you could try creating a Supervisor password in Security tab and see whether it helps, make sure the password is memorable or write it down.
    You can install the factory image with this disk:https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery
     I have attached a typical Windows 10 Disk management and a snip of the BIOS boot tab for you to compare.

Answers

• Hi,
    If you are not going to revert to factory image in the future, you don't need to worry, it won't affect any BIOS update, keep a regular backup of your laptop using Macrium reflect on an external HDD and create a recovery disk using the same software, it's a free program, if you encounter any problems, you can reinstall the backed up image in the laptop.
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/322109/deleting-system-reserve-and-pqservice-during-clean-reinstallation-of-windows-7
  • JoshJoseph
    @brummyfan2
    Can you tell me how to update my BIOS? I have insydeH20 v1.13. I have downloaded it's BIOS from Acer website but whenever I install it it shows "please update from same type of BIOS (v1.x)".
  • Hi @JoshJoseph
    Those BIOS updates are not meant for upgraded version of windows, you have upgraded to Windows 10, so avoid updating BIOS as there are no newer BIOS released by Acer for your model.

• JoshJoseph
    But I have to convert my legacy to UEFI. So how to do that?
  • JoshJoseph

Hello,

I managed to solve this in the end.

1. First I installed the EaseUS Partition Master software (I guess the following steps can be done with other partition software too, just not with the standard options by Windows). I then resized the C:\ partition for around 20GB and proceeded to make a 'clone' of the Recovery Partition on the unallocated space (this is where EaseUS worked).

I was able then to open the contents of the cloned partition and found an install.wim file in there (biggest file, around 16GB).

2. I then copied this onto an USB drive, removed the 'cloned' partition and resized the C:\ partition back to its original size.

3. I restarted the PC and booted the recovery menu using Alt+F10, where I went to Troubleshoot > Advanced > Command Prompt.

4. Here I formatted the C:\ partition:

format c: /q

5. And then I applied the install.wim file from the USB drive to the C: partition using dsim:

dsim /Apply-Image /ImageFileSmiley Very Happy:\install.wim /ApplyDir:C:\ /index:1

That was basically it the image took around 15 min to load on the C: partition, I restarted the laptop and was prompted with the start-up wizard from Acer to configure the laptop.

One thing I noticed is that all the bloatware was gone (including the Acer Recovery Management software that was previously pre-installed, so I guess this would be a good way to obtain a clean install too.

Anyway - I hope this helps any user with a similar problem as mine.

Thanks for your help.

• JoshJoseph
    This post was posted by some cezard person. I want to know 1st step in detail.please.
  • But I have to convert my legacy to UEFI. So how to do that?
    Hi,
    I hope this is not related to updating BIOS, you can switch between Legacy and UEFI by disabling Secure boot, you have to create a Supervisor Password in Security tab, then move to Boot tab and disable Secure boot.
    These are steps:
    1. Enter BIOS settings by pressing F2 as soon as you press power button.
    2. Move to Security tab, click Supervisor Password, create an easy PW to remember, then once completed go to Boot tab and click Secure boot and switch to Disabled.
    3. then click Legacy and switch to UEFI.
    Don't forget to clear the Password you have created once you have finished what  you wanted to do.
    For that, you have to do the same, going to supervisor password, enter the PW you created, leave second line blank(new PW) and the third line blank.

• This post was posted by some cezard person. I want to know 1st step in detail.please.
    Hi,
    I doubt that it would work as you have already deleted the recovery partition, however, could you please post the Disk management snip of yours.

• JoshJoseph
    But I have to convert my legacy to UEFI. So how to do that?
    Hi,
    I hope this is not related to updating BIOS, you can switch between Legacy and UEFI by disabling Secure boot, you have to create a Supervisor Password in Security tab, then move to Boot tab and disable Secure boot.
    These are steps:
    1. Enter BIOS settings by pressing F2 as soon as you press power button.
    2. Move to Security tab, click Supervisor Password, create an easy PW to remember, then once completed go to Boot tab and click Secure boot and switch to Disabled.
    3. then click Legacy and switch to UEFI.
    Don't forget to clear the Password you have created once you have finished what  you wanted to do.
    For that, you have to do the same, going to supervisor password, enter the PW you created, leave second line blank(new PW) and the third line blank.

There is no option for boot mode in boot menu check the images attached. That is why I wanted to update my BIOS.
  • JoshJoseph
    2nd Look not any option you described.
  • JoshJoseph
    This post was posted by some cezard person. I want to know 1st step in detail.please.
    Hi,
    I doubt that it would work as you have already deleted the recovery partition, however, could you please post the Disk management snip of yours.

My snip for it.
  • JoshJoseph
    Hi,

My snip for it.
    I haven't changed any partition it was as such from the beginning. Only just I deleted PQSERVICE partition. D and E were logical drives from starting.
  • brummyfan2
    Answer ✓
    Hi,
    As I said earlier, you have deleted the Recovery partition, only way to get it back and the PQSERVICE partition is to get a recovery USB from Acer and install Windows 8/8.1 whichever came with your laptop, please do not try to update BIOS, you may brick(inoperable) your laptop, so I would suggest you to buy the recovery USB from Acer store or get a local repair shop install the OS for you, Windows 10 OS doesn't have PQSERVICE partition and only Recovery partition. As for your BIOS not having the option in Boot tab is very strange but you could try creating a Supervisor password in Security tab and see whether it helps, make sure the password is memorable or write it down.
    You can install the factory image with this disk:https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery
     I have attached a typical Windows 10 Disk management and a snip of the BIOS boot tab for you to compare.

• JoshJoseph
    edited September 2018

I m from India and Acer donor have option available for Indian store selection. So what to do? And also it does not found my SNID.

[Edited post to remove personal information, please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.- Acer-Dan]

• JoshJoseph
    *doesn't instead of donor
  • JoshJoseph
    Hey also tried supervisor password but didn't work. Is it because my HDD is in MBR partition instead of GPT? I'm thinking that I should empty my HDD and convert to GPT and then try to install UEFI windows on it.
    Also I have an ISO from Microsoft official website so how to turn that into GPT ( can I do it by using Rufus application)?
  • brummyfan2
    edited September 2018
    I m from India and Acer donor have option available for Indian store selection. So what to do? And also it does not found my SNID.
    Hi,
    Could you please delete this post and don't post any sensitive information in the threads, Serial numbers and SNID numbers are sensitive information, anyway, please contact Acer Support in India they will be able to help you.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/service-contact
  • Hey also tried supervisor password but didn't work. Is it because my HDD is in MBR partition instead of GPT? I'm thinking that I should empty my HDD and convert to GPT and then try to install UEFI windows on it.
    Also I have an ISO from Microsoft official website so how to turn that into GPT ( can I do it by using Rufus application)?
    Hey also tried supervisor password but didn't work. Is it because my HDD is in MBR partition instead of GPT? I'm thinking that I should empty my HDD and convert to GPT and then try to install UEFI windows on it.

Yes, you can create a bootable USB disk with Rufus, select GPT for Partition style.
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/