Acer Swift 1 (SF114-32-C4PZ) upgrade to m.2 SSD?

WileECoyote
WileECoyote Member Posts: 22 Networker
Hey all. Does the Acer Swift 1 (SF114-32-C4PZ) have a slot to add an m.2 SSD?
Thanks.

Best Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi @WileECoyote,
    Yes. Acer SF114-32 laptop has M.2 SSD slot. Complete Solid state drive spec for your laptop model is listen below:- 
    256 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    128 GB / 256 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s
    64 GB eMMC

You can install a M.2 NVMe SSD according to this link: https://laptopmedia.com/laptop-specs/acer-swift-1-sf114-32-3/
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Swoop
    Swoop Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Like Mateyahoy, I installed a WD Blue 1TB SSD successfully in the Swift 1 that I purchased on close-out at Walmart. The full SSD model number is WD BLUE 3D NAND SATA SSD M.2 2280, and it cost about $100 at Amazon. Tools required are a T6 Torx bit, a plastic spudger, a metal spudger to very carefully make enough space to insert the plastic one, and an inch of Scotch Magic tape. The tape was used to hold the memory card in place, because there is not a screw provided or available...I think it will hold.

I purchased and used these two sets of tools at Amazon:
    • Kaisi Professional Electronics Opening Pry Tool Repair Kit with Metal Spudger Non-Abrasive Carbon Fiber Nylon Spudgers and Anti-Static Tweezers for Cellphone iPhone Laptops Tablets and More, 20 Piece (about $10, just for the spudgers)
    • JUMLEE 32 in 1 Screwdriver Tool Sets, Precision Screwdriver Set, Repair Tool Kit, Multi-function Magnetic Repair Tools, for PC/Laptop/Watches/iPhone/Ipad etc (Yellow) (about $5, just for the T6)
    I was careful to keep track of which screws came out of which holes in the back of the case, but actually they were all T6 and I think they were all the same length.

The interior of my Swift 1 bore little resemblance to those in the available YouTube videos. There was one clear area about 1x3 inches, and closer inspection showed an appropriate socket for the SSD was located at one end. Inserting the SSD into the socket was easy. Having no suitable screw to hold down the other end of the SSD, I just taped it down to the chassis.

Of course, the new SSD initially was not visible in This PC. It had to be initiated, formatted and a drive letter (D) selected...you can google how. What a pleasant surprise to see that 900+GB of new storage in This PC!

I did not attempt to move the OS over from the 64GB to the 1TB drive.

I've moved about 20GB of videos over into the new drive, and it all seems to be working properly.

Answers

• Balatekie
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi @WileECoyote,
    Yes. Acer SF114-32 laptop has M.2 SSD slot. Complete Solid state drive spec for your laptop model is listen below:- 
    256 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe
    128 GB / 256 GB, SATA 6 Gb/s
    64 GB eMMC

You can install a M.2 NVMe SSD according to this link: https://laptopmedia.com/laptop-specs/acer-swift-1-sf114-32-3/

• WileECoyote
    Brilliant, thanks Balatekie.

• Balatekie
    Brilliant, thanks Balatekie.

You are Welcome & thank you :)

• ICD58
    ICD58 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Could you please be very specific with what Brand and model 256 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe  will be compatible? Would an Intel 760p be compatible? Thanks.
  • WileECoyote
    ICD58 said:
    Could you please be very specific with what Brand and model 256 GB, PCIe Gen3, 8 Gb/s up to 4 lanes, NVMe  will be compatible? Would an Intel 760p be compatible? Thanks.
    Please see this thread here.
    I tried the Into 760p with my model and it would not detect. I did not try any other NVMe SSD, I ended up opting for the Western Digital Blue M.2 SATA which worked without any issues.
  • ICD58
    ICD58 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have done the same and changed over to the 250GB WD Blue M.2 SATA drive. I am still having issues with it not showing up in the BIOS, although windows can see it?? Also the WD Acronis image software keeps failing part way through the image. I must be missing something so I will try again from the start tomorrow.
  • WileECoyote
    ICD58 said:
    I have done the same and changed over to the 250GB WD Blue M.2 SATA drive. I am still having issues with it not showing up in the BIOS, although windows can see it?? Also the WD Acronis image software keeps failing part way through the image. I must be missing something so I will try again from the start tomorrow.
    I had the same issue with BIOS and ignored it. Windows was happy to see the drive and format it. I had issues with Acronis too and ended up using Macrium Reflect (https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree). After cloning it automatically set the SSD as the C: and the original C: as F:.
  • jp_d_cruz
    jp_d_cruz Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hi! i have an SF114-32-P30S version of Swift 1. Attached is a photo of the uncovered back. I'm a newbie, and just followed a youtube tutorial on disassembling. Unfortunately, the one in the video has different layout that the model that i have. Can anyone recognize what port is the ones shown in the attached photo (labeled SSD1)? Thanks in advanced.
  • jp_d_cruz
    jp_d_cruz Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

i figured since this section is talking about a different model than mine, i just created a new post for mine. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/562575/swift-1-sf114-32-p30s#latest
  • Mateyahoy
    Mateyahoy Member Posts: 3 New User
    The Western Digital Blue 1Terabyte is the best bang for the buck. I dropped one in and had it formatted and partitioned in less than 5 minutes.
  • Swoop
    Swoop Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓
    Like Mateyahoy, I installed a WD Blue 1TB SSD successfully in the Swift 1 that I purchased on close-out at Walmart. The full SSD model number is WD BLUE 3D NAND SATA SSD M.2 2280, and it cost about $100 at Amazon. Tools required are a T6 Torx bit, a plastic spudger, a metal spudger to very carefully make enough space to insert the plastic one, and an inch of Scotch Magic tape. The tape was used to hold the memory card in place, because there is not a screw provided or available...I think it will hold.

I purchased and used these two sets of tools at Amazon:
    • Kaisi Professional Electronics Opening Pry Tool Repair Kit with Metal Spudger Non-Abrasive Carbon Fiber Nylon Spudgers and Anti-Static Tweezers for Cellphone iPhone Laptops Tablets and More, 20 Piece (about $10, just for the spudgers)
    • JUMLEE 32 in 1 Screwdriver Tool Sets, Precision Screwdriver Set, Repair Tool Kit, Multi-function Magnetic Repair Tools, for PC/Laptop/Watches/iPhone/Ipad etc (Yellow) (about $5, just for the T6)
    I was careful to keep track of which screws came out of which holes in the back of the case, but actually they were all T6 and I think they were all the same length.

The interior of my Swift 1 bore little resemblance to those in the available YouTube videos. There was one clear area about 1x3 inches, and closer inspection showed an appropriate socket for the SSD was located at one end. Inserting the SSD into the socket was easy. Having no suitable screw to hold down the other end of the SSD, I just taped it down to the chassis.

Of course, the new SSD initially was not visible in This PC. It had to be initiated, formatted and a drive letter (D) selected...you can google how. What a pleasant surprise to see that 900+GB of new storage in This PC!

I did not attempt to move the OS over from the 64GB to the 1TB drive.

I've moved about 20GB of videos over into the new drive, and it all seems to be working properly.
  • CloudDevelopment
    CloudDevelopment Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hello,

Sharing fails and successes with adding additional M.2 SSD harddrive; SATA support for M.2 is relevant.
    The difference/reason is the compatibility and use of SATA. The Intel M.2(both) wont be recognised by the bios or windows on the Acer Swift SF114-32.

Not compatible(not working); Intel SSD 660p 512Gb & 1Tb nVME (trough M.2 slot).
    Compatible (working); WD Blue 2TB (B+M slot).

Hope it helps with other people there good interest of expanding internal-harddrive storage of the Acer Swift 1 | SF114-32, but the WD Blue M.2 2Tb is recognised and works like a charm. Above results are based on actual testing.

Hope it add's,
  • CloudDevelopment
    CloudDevelopment Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hello,

SATA support for M.2 is relevant.
    Sharing fails and successes with adding additional M.2 SSD harddrive;

Not compatible(not working); Intel SSD 660p 512Gb & 1Tb nVME (trough M.2 slot).
    Compatible (working); WD Blue 2TB (B+M slot).

The difference/reason is the compatibility and use of SATA. The Intel M.2(both) wont be recognised by the bios or windows on the Acer Swift SF114-32.

Above results are based on actual testing.
    Hope it helps with other people there good interest of expanding internal-harddrive storage of the Acer Swift 1 | SF114-32, but the WD Blue M.2 2Tb is recognised and works like a charm.

Kind regards,