New(ish) Acer laptop keeps freezing

Mikkyk
Mikkyk Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi 

I bought an Acer Aspire E5-475 back in January. Up until yesterday I'd had no real problems and then out the blue, it froze on me. Initially the program I was on stopped responding and then after that all the other programs stopped responding. The mouse is the only thing that works (even the clock freezes).

In the last 48 hours since the first freeze, it has frozen again a number of times, i've lost count of how many. Each time it freezes I have to manually shut it down by holding the power button as I have no other choice. It then takes an age to restart, sometimes freezing in the process of restarting. Once it finally loads, cue the cycle again as it inevitably freezes.

Following a small amount of research, I have updated the drivers, cleared the temporary files folder and ran a memory check.

None of this seemed to work so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    Updating the BiOS should fix the problem
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Lanner_Falcon
    Lanner_Falcon Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Hi Mikkyk, 

Try to load the computer in Safe mode with networking and check if it still having the same issue. Follow the following Acer link for how to boot in Safe Mode with networking. 

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37082/~/windows-10:-boot-to-safe-mode

Once successful, and if the issue is not there. Try running an Anti Malware program or clean boot the computer. 

If then, if the issue still pertains then try to check if there was any recent updates on your Windows machine. If so the computer would have created a restore point before installing the updates and you can try to reverse the Operating system to that date. You wouldn't have any loss with data, however any applications or malwares installed might get gone. 

The following link has system restore procedure for Windows 7, however it's closely similar to that of Windows 10. 
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13060

• RaoR
    RaoR Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Mikkyk said:
    Hi 

I bought an Acer Aspire E5-475 back in January. Up until yesterday I'd had no real problems and then out the blue, it froze on me. Initially the program I was on stopped responding and then after that all the other programs stopped responding. The mouse is the only thing that works (even the clock freezes).

In the last 48 hours since the first freeze, it has frozen again a number of times, i've lost count of how many. Each time it freezes I have to manually shut it down by holding the power button as I have no other choice. It then takes an age to restart, sometimes freezing in the process of restarting. Once it finally loads, cue the cycle again as it inevitably freezes.

Following a small amount of research, I have updated the drivers, cleared the temporary files folder and ran a memory check.

None of this seemed to work so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Mikkyk,

Could be elaborate more in specific on the program it is freezing.. some times if there is any file corruptions you might get this freezing issue. 

Recommend to following:
    restart the pc in safe mode with networking
    Open run window(WINDOWS + R) type "regedit"
    backup the registry and check the registry files(HKEY_CURRENT_USER / HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)for scam programs
    IF still the issue persists - backup data - try factory reset.

Regards,
    RR
    Hi! I'm not Cortana! But I'm here to help! Click "Like" if you find the answer helpful!
    Click "Yes" when the comment answers your question!

Regards,
    RR :) 
  • White_angel
    White_angel Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Mikkyk said:
    Hi 

Hello Mikkyk,

Please follow below steps to do factory reset.
    1. Hold the Shift key while you click Restart.
    2. Click Troubleshoot.
    3. Select Reset Your PC.
    4. Click Remove everything.
    5. After your computer reboots, click Just remove my files.
    6. Click Reset.

Note: This process will erase all data on your system. Make sure your system is plugged in and does not power off during the reset.

• aspire89
    aspire89 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Mikkyk, did you manage to resolve your computer freeze problem? 

I have a same problem with my E5-475 and want to explore if any way to resolve it without need to do a system reset?

Thanks

• Sabir
    Sabir Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2020
    hi there
    i have recently bought an acer aspire 5738 from a guy .i was surprised by it's price it was half the price of all the other marks all the guys who have an acer they try to sell it . but after i bought it i've found why all try to get rid of it.mine also freezes randomly.i tried every possible solution ,format , factory reset and even disassembled it but in vain. my laptop freezes specially when i try to past from a flashdrive to the laptop.what i found out at the end is that doesn't happen in safe mode that why i'll keep using it in this mode better than throwing it .