Nitro 5 AN515-52 73Y8 RAM Upgrade compatibility

Ac_chandra
Ac_chandra Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

Im currently using Nitro 5 AN515-52-73Y8 with specs like i7 8750, 8GB Kingston DDR4 2666  and  1 Terra SATA

I'm planning to upgrade the RAM , and put in SSD, and the question is this : 

1. Im planning to put in a 8GB stick to the 2nd slot, if i put in a corsair 8GB ddr4 2666 will it run as dual channel , or will it run as single channel memory ? Or do i have to put in identical stick (kingston 8gb ddr4 2666)  to make it run as dual channel ? 

2. Im planning to put in Samsung M.2 NVMe 970 EVO 250GB, will it read the drive as NVMe or just M.2 SATA ? 

Thanks,

Best Answer

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi Ac_chandra

Your laptop's AN515-52 System Memory specs are as follows:-
    Interface design: DDR4 2400/2666 SODIMM memory 
    Number of slots available: DDR4 SODIMM slot x 2
    Supports memory size per socket:  4GB/8GB/16GB
    Maximum memory is up to 32GB

I could not locate any info about Single or Dual Channel regarding RAM performance. You can have individual RAM of 8GB DDR4 2666 in one slot and that should add total to the RAM. 

Laptop's Storage Subsystem
    • SATA HDD
    Storage 1 : M.2 2280 for SSD (PCIe/SATA Co-lay), design reserve for Intel Optane
    Storage 2 : 9.5mm/7mm co-lay (Support HDD Door)

You can use Samsung M.2 NVMe 970 EVO and it will work. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

Answers

• Balatekie
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Hi Ac_chandra

Your laptop's AN515-52 System Memory specs are as follows:-
    Interface design: DDR4 2400/2666 SODIMM memory 
    Number of slots available: DDR4 SODIMM slot x 2
    Supports memory size per socket:  4GB/8GB/16GB
    Maximum memory is up to 32GB

I could not locate any info about Single or Dual Channel regarding RAM performance. You can have individual RAM of 8GB DDR4 2666 in one slot and that should add total to the RAM. 

Laptop's Storage Subsystem
    • SATA HDD
    Storage 1 : M.2 2280 for SSD (PCIe/SATA Co-lay), design reserve for Intel Optane
    Storage 2 : 9.5mm/7mm co-lay (Support HDD Door)

You can use Samsung M.2 NVMe 970 EVO and it will work. 

• Ac_chandra
    Ac_chandra Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thanks man @Balatekie

So it wont be a problem if i use a different brand of memory sticks  and it will run as dual channel instead of a whole single channel ?
  • Balatekie
    Thanks man @Balatekie

So it wont be a problem if i use a different brand of memory sticks  and it will run as dual channel instead of a whole single channel ?
    You are welcome. Yep.. you can use different brand RAM and need not to be identical. 

• Cooldool2k
    Cooldool2k Member Posts: 1 New User
    How much difference in speed & performance it will make if put a SSD and 8 GB RAM, I have the same config as above and I have 16 GB optane too.
  • Darandale99
    Darandale99 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Will the samsung nvme drive give full performance when the optane is removed?
  • Miguel24
    Miguel24 Member Posts: 2 New User
    AN515-52-57VM
    y ese modelo de cuanto de ram acepta??
  • Roubo
    Roubo Member Posts: 1 New User
    In order to expand the pre-installed 8GB of RAM, I needed to get a RAM stick with matching frequency rating and matching timings. Secondly, it's important to know whether the first stick is single-ranked or dual-ranked.

Since the Acer BIOS is very very poor when it comes to hardware information, I went ahead and downloaded CPU-Z to find out exactly how my existing memory stick looked like. This should be the official CPU-Z download page, look for the button "Setup - English": https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Once CPU-Z is installed, I found out on the "Memory" tab that my particular model had 8GB of RAM with CL timing 17:

The DRAM frequency above is half of the advertised number because of the way RAM works. Also note that the Channel # is always Single when there is only one stick inserted.

That's why, just to make sure, the advertised frequency rating is written on the "SPD" tab, in my case this is 2400. The timings can be seen here again as "supported configurations". Additionally, the memory stick is ranked Single and the manufacturing date can be seen as a fun fact:

CPU-Z will gather the real hardware information as precisely as possible, better than vendor documentation or any online research. Unless the BIOS shows us timings, which many BIOS implementations actually do, this is our second-best option. We need to show the guys behind CPU-Z some love for the awesome work they've been doing for years.

If your original stick is ranked Dual, you can buy a stick with the same frequency rating, same CL timings, and same capacity to enjoy the small benefit an even number of dual-ranked memory sticks offers.

If your original stick is ranked Single, you can buy a stick with the same frequency rating and same CL timings, in any capacity. Your memory will work great at 12GB (8GB+4GB), 16GB (8GB+8GB) or 24GB (16GB+8GB) even if it won't make use of the dual channel mode. For most of us, more memory is better than less memory with dual-channel.

My decision was to buy a 16GB stick with dual-ranked support. The dual-rank will be useless for me while I have two sticks with differing capacities, as well as because my existing stick is single-ranked in the first place. When I save up enough money, I may decide to buy another 16GB dual-ranked stick with the same parameters to make use of the highest RAM capacity my Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52 laptop can take.

Hope this helps, good luck!
    R