XB271HK Flickering

13»

Answers

• bobbie424242
    bobbie424242 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Also confirming although I have not seen this issue for a while now. Probably an unfixable panel flaw.
  • brighttail
    brighttail Member Posts: 39 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    This has been an issue for now almost 2 years since it was originally posted.  There was a thread going on here of over 40 pages. In that we discussed possibilities.  We had an Asus rep ask us many questions and a few of us RMAd.  Those that did either got their monitor back saying nothing was found or another replacement monitor that had the same issue.  For over a year, Acer said they couldn't replicate the issue.

Then one day, they said they did, they saw what we saw.  Sadly they never said what could be done about it and soon after the thread was deleted by Acer.  This has led many of us to believe that there is no fix. It is the panel and Acer was simply removing all proof that it knew there was an issue.

In short there is no fix.  If you RMA it, there is nothing they can do and you risk the possibility of getting another monitor that has a worse case of the artifacting.  For those thinking that it is your DP cable. It isn't.  There are 3 monitors of Acer that have this issue and two of BenQ, all use the same panel.  For those that got ours 1 1/2 to 2 years ago, we can't do anything, those who just got there, at lease you have the chance to get a refund.  Some managed to do that. SO good luck.
  • Eamon
    Eamon Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Oh and one other thing. I only just realised this thread for was XB271HK. I actually had purchased the XBV271HK. (Didn't notice the lack of the sneaky V).

The only difference between the two models is the V version is an IPS monitor. The model without the V is the TN version. This is actually quite a major difference. Yet both monitors with different panel types experience the same flickering issue. Maybe this could help to narrow down the possible reasons?
  • Morley
    Morley Member Posts: 2 New User
    I bought a new XB281HK and I get the same issues as well, you can see the screen flickering. It look like it starts at the sides of the screen and comes inwards to the centre. Anybody managed to get an update on this issue from Acer?
  • adamlreed93
    adamlreed93 Member Posts: 61 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Can anyone else re-create the issue by touching the base of the monitor??? I can, its like its sensitive to electric/static shock , like its not grounded correctly
  • WestWorld27
    WestWorld27 Member Posts: 2 New User
    seems that Acer have acknowledged the problem with the XB321HK - https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/441879/xb321hk-weird-artifact/p4 - nothing for us XB271HK owners....
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru

Hello everyone,

We would like to apologize to our community for the inconvenience caused by this issue and for my late reply. We like to inform that a fix to this issue has been found and you all have to contact your local Acer Support organization in order to set the unit up for repair to apply the fix. Unfortunately is a hardware fix and has to come in to repair.

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• stretch
    stretch Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi there, bought an xb271hk monitor a few days ago. Manufacture date of Oct 2017.
    I am also experiencing thin green or red vertical lines on a black background flashing every now and again at random maybe once or twice a day, also using a 1080ti.
    Such a shame as the picture quality is pretty amazing but as said, the quality definitely isn't reflective of the price.
    Also have some back light bleed on all four corners and above the predator logo, the worst part is above the button panel. It looks like perhaps the frame/housing is compressing the screen in places.
    You shouldn't have to have any concerns over panel quality or flaws. It should just be a case of taking it home plug it in and just enjoy it. Completely ruins the whole experience when you think about it failing or getting worse and you've only had it a few hours.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi stretch,

I am very sorry to hear that.

Have you contacted your local Acer support for assistance?

Acer-Manny
  • stretch
    stretch Member Posts: 2 New User
    I've ended up putting in for RMA. I also started getting no signal coming up in a grey box as well whilst playing battlefield.
    I was told that these have quite a few that get returned for various reasons, so rather than swapping things over backwards and forwards I chose to go for the TN 1440p model instead. It's a shame because the picture quality blew me away at 4k and with ips but I just don't want any hassle. I've been spoiled and everything else looks rubbish in comparison now but I guess will have to wait until this tech gets a little more refined.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Thanks for the update stretch, please let us know any updates.

Acer-Manny
  • MrDonkey
    MrDonkey Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hello everyone, 
    I recently send my unit for RMA in EU region. They replaced LCD panel and send it back with a note that it passed their extensive testing.
    Unfortunately the problem wasn't resolved and this flickering still occurs.
    I actually own 2 of Acer Predator displays (XB271HK and XB271HU(1440p@144Hz version)) and both of them have different kind of problems.
    XB271HK is flickering and XB271HU has overlapping line (at least this doesn't show up when I oc the monitor to 165Hz).
    I was planning to change my 1440p monitor to new upcoming 4k@144Hz display but at this point I'm greatly disappointed in Acer service and company. 
    For me, they have 100% failure rate. So I would strongly discourage anyone who wants to buy an Acer product.
    I would also recommend you DO NOT BUY any monitor based on AU Optronics panel. They are very poor quality with a lot of different issues.
    I guess the best option is to wait until other manufacturers catch up and buy their product (based on LG or Samsung panel).
    If you want to buy Acer/Asus gaming monitor be prepared to pay premium price for below average quality and different unexpected problems in near future.
    I would expect that G-Sync monitors are a high end and NVIDIA would enforce some minimum quality control in these panels. As you can see this is not the case.
  • Stali84
    Stali84 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the same problem with acer pe270k i have it for 2 days and some time it does an intant flickering ,i have it connected with ps4 pro and i had no problems with my old monitor so its the monitors problem
  • N1N7EN
    N1N7EN Member Posts: 2 New User
    I also have the flickering on half the panel. I've noticed it half a dozen times now and I just got it. I bought refurbished from newegg to save some money. It's the XB321HK model manufacturing date March 2017. I seriously doubt Acer will do anything about it, so I'll have to just live with it. I never had any problems with multiple Dell Ultrasharp monitors. I'm never buying Acer again.
  • FlickerySteve
    FlickerySteve Member Posts: 2 New User
    Sick pretty much summs me up on this one...

I also have a flickering Acer Predator Z271Tbmiphzx which I purchased in December 2017. This was initially paired with a i7/GTX980 combination.

Since the purchase I have:

1: Purchased an expensive replacement display port cable. I read (at the time) that a number of persons were questioning the quality of the supplied lead... thus I decided to give it a go. Obviously it made no differance. At least it was one of my less expensive mistakes.

2: Again, there has been a lot of discussion and misinformation around systems not having the necessary grunt to maintain a workable framerate for G-Sync. It took a while but I slowly managed to upgrade from the Sandybridge platform to a high end Ryzen 1800+ on a well regarded MSI Titanium board.
    This resulted (as expected) in (higher average and peak) framerates; but still did not resolve the flickering. This also resulted in my first run in with the screen randomly taking on a blue tinge; that can only be cleared for a short duration by unplugging!

3: I thought that my troubles were coming to an end with the recent G-Sync patches by NVidia... They unfortunately reported that they did not support my make/model of GTX 980. Thus... I recently bit the bullet and purchased as pair of GTX1070ti's to effectively round off my replacement of everything asides the monitor... Once again... This has not resolved the flickering... the high framerates seem to have made the blue tinge problem worse... even with g-sync disabled! 

This monitor for the intended purpose is very much a bust and I am obviously far from happy with this situation. I am pretty sickened by the whole negative experience associated with owning it and need either rapid resolution or total closure.

Acer-Manny... You seem to be one of the more response support staff... Could you possibly respond?

Questions...

a. Do ACER acknowledge that this is an inherent problem with this product? Ownership of such problems is critical in that it builds trust and shows respect to customers. 

b. What will ACER do to fully resolve this problem for me?

c. What do I need to do?

d. What assurances do I have that Acer will be able to provide me with a unit that works flawlessly, as advertised, as per design intent and as per my reasonable expectations? Quite frankly, without such assurances... there is no point in either party pursueing anything other than a full refund.

• RidingTheFlow
    RidingTheFlow Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Acer-Manny... You seem to be one of the more response support staff... Could you possibly respond?

Acer-Manny followed in footsteps of other reps before him - promised "a sure fix this time", wasted people time, publicly embarrassed himself and his company, stopped posting.

I assume now you have to wait for several month for a fresh new rep who didn't get the memo ;)

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Answer ✓
    Hi all,

We would like to apologize again to all users who are experiencing the reported issue with their monitor. Unfortunately, the LCD panel would need to be replaced at a local Acer service center to resolve this issue. If you are experiencing the reported issue, we encourage you to contact your local Acer support team for assistance getting your monitor setup for repair.  We will be closing this thread with this post listed as the official solution. If you are still experiencing the issue after having your LCD panel replaced, we encourage you to send us a private message or create a new topic in the community so we can look into it further.

If you need intimidate technical assistance please go to https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ and select the country of your location, under the support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.

Best Regards,

Acer-Manny

This discussion has been closed.