Acer Aspire 7 A717-72G-700J - MANUALLY CONTROLL FAN SPEEDS

Xelahgohn
Xelahgohn Member Posts: 1 New User
Hi,

I enabled CoolBoost but, that only helps a little.  I noticed that; every time I do a BIOS update, the fans howl REALLY loud!  Why can't they seem to do that when, my CPU temps reach 95c when playing a video game?  Can Acer PLEASE add support for this model to, Acer PredatorSense?  OR, at least add an option to boost fans to max speed when, running CPU/GPU intensive applications??

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    >>>Why can't they seem to do that when, my CPU temps reach 95c when playing a video game? >>>

Because the actual sustained temperature is less than 95°C. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• noodle
    noodle Member Posts: 7 New User
    Yeah, this high temperature frame rate throttling is annoying. I don't care if the fans are loud, I just want them to be on constantly so the computer actually stays cold instead of randomly dropping my frames. Fix this please.
  • JackE
    Try disabling some of the startup apps that you don't often use with MSconfig.exe. Also make sure the laptop is sitting level on a hard surface maybe slightly raised to enhance air flow. Seems like a bit extra cooling is all you need to keep temps below 95*C to avoid throttling. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• noodle
    The fans do a good enough job of keeping it cool, the problem is that when they turn on, they don't STAY on and there's no way for the user to keep them turned on. I don't want to have to buy an external fan when the built in fans can already handle the temperatures, but refuse to because software is the only thing keeping them from staying on. :/
  • JackE
    Just in case you haven't come across this one yet, take a look https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/533592/overheating-fan-control-solution-cpu-gpu  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• noodle
    I installed that and I don't have any of the dropdown menus the OP has, but that post was also from almost a year ago. Either the older version has more options or acer patched whatever allowed OP's to work.
  • JackE
    Maybe download and try the Nov 17 or earlier argotronic versions to see what happens. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• noodle
    It didn't work. I just ended up buying a cooling pad and I haven't had any throttling issues so far. :/
  • JackE
    Yep, that should work though inconvenient. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xarvith
    Xarvith Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hey, i have the same problem (temperatures reach 95C at play game). It is possible to fix that problem without cooling pad? 
  • JackE
    @Xarvith Yes, possible, but probably not with the same game @noodle plays. What game are you playing?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Xarvith
    Xarvith Member Posts: 2 New User
    World of tanks, ultra settings ~100-115 fps with 95c
  • JackE
    @Xarvith Why do you need such high FPS!!!??? Cut it back! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• noodle
    This is still a problem and we need a way to unlock fan speed so that the fans will stay on a max speed please. This laptop has a sticker that says it is "VR Ready" but many VR apps I try always push it to the maximum temperature which forces the laptop to shut off.
  • JackE
    The fans are at maximum speeds well before the critical shutdown temperature is reached. If they still don't do the job, then you need to repaste the thermal modules with a good heat medium like ArcticMX4 , use an auxiliary cooling platform, and moderate game settings to reasonable levels. This is a congested gaming laptop not a wide-open gaming desktop. Compromises must be made when choosing a laptop instead of desktop. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• noodle
    I've already repasted, I'm already using a laptop cooling pad, I'm already playing with "moderate settings" in relation to VR. ALLOW US to control the fan speed and LEAVE IT ON at max speed please. UNLOCK the fan control features in the bios please. If I had known the cooling was going to be so bad I wouldn't have bought this thing in the first place. When they advertised the kind of powerful video card and processor the laptop had, I kind of expected it to actually be able to handle the specs and not just shut itself down.
  • JackE
    Fan is already running at maximum speed when it needs to be. Leaving it on maximum speed when it doesn't need to be won't help. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• noodle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt9L3BWOFo followed the instructions in this and it helped.

• JackE
    Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AWHAN2005
    AWHAN2005 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi,

I have an ACER ASPIRE 7 with a GPU of GEFORCE GTX-1650. It's a new laptop and the cooling systems are working quite well, even the fans. But the problem I am having is that it's always showing fan speed as 0 RPM, although it's running with a high speed also making a lot of sound. How can I know the fan speed? I have also tried to find out the fan speed by installing some softwares such as Speedfan and Argus monitor but it's showing 0 RPM there too.... How can this be fixed???