HDD Replaced with SSD

xfangx
xfangx Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello!

I have a 17.3'' Predator G5-793 that came by default with the 1 TB HDD.
Soon I added another 120 HDD for the OS (win 10) in the m.2 slot. This works correctly.
Now, i wanted to remove the 1 TB hdd and replace it with a SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA-III 2.5 inch. Removed back thing, replaced unit.
When I try to open the laptop now, I'm stuck at the Predator logo (I cannot go to BIOS or any boot menu).
If I remove the new SSD and leave only the old SSD with the OS, Windows starts.
I thought that the windows reserved partition is the issue as it's on the old HDD, but the fact the windows will load only with the old SSD in it, kinda blows that theory away.

if there anything I have to do to the new SSD before putting it in?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Best Answer

• xfangx
    Answer ✓
    Only with the new ssd it does not work.
    I changed boot from legacy to uefi
    I removed the HDD and left there the M.2
    I added also the SSD. I managed to boot from a USB stick and install windows again.

Answers

• First go to the bios and click on loadsetupdefaults, so that the bios goes back to the factory settings! Then disconnect the ssd m2 and leave only the ssd 860 evo connected and turn on the notebook to see if the problem remains!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • xfangx
    Hello,

I tried something else.I changed the boot priority.
    1st to boot is the old HDD with no windows on it but system reversed partition on it
    2nd to boot is the m2 with the windows
    works.
    swapped places, does not work.

I created a new partition on the SSD and cloned the reserved partition.
    did the above again, same, does not work.

If I remove the M2, I will not have any windows to boot on. Isn't there any way to figure out why or what files is he looking for on the old HDD to copy them on the m2 SSD?

The above option would mean to re-install windows on the new SSD i guess, right?

Thank you!
  • Ideally you should leave only the 860 evo connected, to check if the locking problem occurs! Has ssd been converted to gpt? Is bios in uefi mode? Is the system configured in raid or ahci mode?
    Just test the 860 evo connected and remove the ssd m2!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • xfangx
    Answer ✓
    Only with the new ssd it does not work.
    I changed boot from legacy to uefi
    I removed the HDD and left there the M.2
    I added also the SSD. I managed to boot from a USB stick and install windows again.
  • The notebook is no longer crashing on the boot screen? Does bios now recognize evo correctly?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xfangx
    yep, its works correctly after changing to UEFI
  • Both ssd's are recognized in uefi mode and are they converted to gpt?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer