REQUIRED PRIVILEGE ERROR MESSAGE (0x80070522) MISERY

DWGaspire7741Z
DWGaspire7741Z Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

PLEASE READ EVERYTHING CAREFULLY:

I have a problem with my Acer Aspire 7741 dual-core, 64 bit laptop computer. I am running Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM as my operating system.

Problem: In "normal" windows mode, I cannot install any program, not even a portable program, whether it is an "exe", or a "com", without receiving this little highly annoying message ▬

"a required privilege is not held by the client" (error 0x80070522)

Although, if I am in SAFEMODE, I can install, repeat CAN install any program WITHOUT the error note. Period.

FYI, I have scoured the internet, following suggestions like turning off account control in the control panel, setting "enable lua" to zero in the registry, giving "permission" to the c:\ Root, running Malwarebytes, etc., performing a clean boot  - all of which I had to install and run in Safemode, of course, but to no avail.

Thank you in advance for your help. This problem is driving me BONKERS.

TIRED
:

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,328 Trailblazer
    What happens when you right-click on the executable. Does a box like the one shown below appear? If yes, what happens when you click on the red encircled option?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DWGaspire7741Z

Tinkerer

Dear JackE -
    I have done exactly that, and it makes ABSOLUTELY ZERO difference.  The message still appears. What could be happening between Safemode, and "normal" Windows to cause that dang error message? I am frustrated !!!

Thank you for your time!
    DAVE

• JackE
    OK. Right click an executable again. Left click properties. Click security tab. Click your log in name. What permissions does it show you have? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DWGaspire7741Z

Tinkerer

MY LOG ON IS DAVE2

• JackE
    Then click on Dave2 to highlight it to see what permissions you have. Are you in regular Win7 mode, not safe mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DWGaspire7741Z

Tinkerer

NORMAL MODE...NOT SAFE MODE

• JackE
    Can you access the edit permissions function? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DWGaspire7741Z

Tinkerer

YES.  I CLICKED ON A FEW THINGS

• JackE
    >>>I am running Windows 7 HOME PREMIUM>>>

Before we go any further, Is this the ACER factory-installed or Microsoft generic Win7HP version? There is a difference, Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DWGaspire7741Z

Tinkerer

Dang...what a good question. My late wife bought this laptop for me way back in early January of 2011. So, I  literally do not recall if the operating system was already on it, or if they sent me a CD disk to install it ▬ BUT, early in 2015, I had it in the shop for a shot hard-drive - so, I guess that the answer to your question is Microsoft generic Win7HP version, since the guy put a new, albeit smaller hard-drive into it.
  • JackE
    It probably was on the shot HDD's hidden recovery partition. We can probably still get the original ACER Win7 install media (USB or DVD) but let's try to work with what you've got. Your last screenshot seems to show too many conflicting administrative permissions. Are you able to edit ***ALL*** the "not inherited" permissions to "c:\users\daveadmin2" ? If so, do it. Apply. Exit. Then see if that particular executable behaves itself in normal Win mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• DWGaspire7741Z

Tinkerer

DID IT.  NO GO. SAME MESSAGE.