Does A315-41-R3RF have an M.2 slot?

autolycus
autolycus Member Posts: 1 New User
I've seen a few indications that A315-41-R3RF has an M.2 slot, but can't find any information in the specs online.

Comments

• Dentalicious
    Dentalicious Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the A315-41-R8UU and it has an M.2 slot. I would imagine that the R3RF is no different. However, I have two important notes. You must remove the entire bottom shell to access it and it only runs in SATA. I tried a PCI M.2 and it would not work.

The image attached is the inside of mine (the 2.5" drive is removed to get the shell off) notice the white spot for the M.2 on the left of the RAM.
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    autolycus

Yep. Your computer Acer A315-41-R3RF has an M.2 2280 SATA for SSD. The maximum capacity (GB) of SSD module which you can use in your laptop is 256GB. 

Remove the screws for service doors(HDD and RAM), take out the memory modules and HDD, remove 17 screws from the back cover, use a guitar pick or an old card to release the tabs(slowly without breaking the tabs), separate the bottom cover slowly, insert the M.2 SSD at an angle and secure with the screw, reverse the procedure to reassemble.

Below is the list of compatible M.2 SSD, recommended by ACER:-

1. Manufacturer: 
    KINGSTON

Model Name : RBU-SNS8180S3/128GJ
        Capacity: 128GB
        Bytes per sector: 512
        Interface: SATA
        Fast data transfer rate (Mbits / sec, max): 6.0Gbits/s
        Media data transfer rate: 540MB/s
        Voltage tolerance: 3.3V ±5%

2. Manufacturer: HYNIX
        Model Name : HFS128G39TND-N210A
        Capacity: 128GB

3. Manufacturer: HYNIX
        Model Name : HFS256G39TND-N210A
        Capacity: 256GB
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Kdela8
    Kdela8 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Are these the only SSDs supported in the m.2 slot?  Can't find the Kingston drive for sale.  Not familiar with Hynix brand, would prefer Samsung/Crucial/etc, more common trusted brand.  Just curious if this is the list of drives they've installed upon initial build, or if these truly are the only drives supported and only drives that will work with this model?  Seems to me that "generally" any standard m.2 SATA III SSD should work.
  • BobtheGuardian
    BobtheGuardian Member Posts: 1 New User

I am curious about the Aspire 3 A315-41-R2W5. I have read and been told that it has an M.2 slot, but I cannot find any specifics about it and would like to know more. Do you know if this is true, and what are the recommended M.2 SSD's for it?

I would like to be able to install one and use it as a Linux alternative to the existing HDD that has Windows on it. Do you know anything/have experience regarding this?

Thanks!
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer

I am curious about the Aspire 3 A315-41-R2W5. I have read and been told that it has an M.2 slot, but I cannot find any specifics about it and would like to know more. Do you know if this is true, and what are the recommended M.2 SSD's for it?

I would like to be able to install one and use it as a Linux alternative to the existing HDD that has Windows on it. Do you know anything/have experience regarding this?

Thanks!
    As posted earlier, the unit has M.2 SSD slot. Moreover, you can install Linux on the SSD and run the computer with Dual OS. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• GILZ
    GILZ Member Posts: 5 New User
    Hi, I purchased the sk hynix 256gb model and tried to install it and my system will not boot. it will only stay in a loop with the acer logo. I still have the 1tb hdd connect and no luck.
  • allendespe
    allendespe Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

The laptop is on warranty i'd like to use to upgrade with a higher M.2.. "Will the warranty service cover the fee for such upgrade".. really curious cause i need a specific amount for this.. i can do it myself but for future and service reason for further support from ACER i have to keep the warranty sticker.
  • MrK90
    MrK90 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I  need know If the crucial MX500 256gb have compatibility  with model a315-41-r132. 
    Tu
  • T9TU
    T9TU Member Posts: 1 New User
    Also guys, if I upgrade to an SSD, how do I move the OS, reinstalling the OS won't give me the on screen keyboard notations/notifications like the caps lock or the num lock is switched on or not.
  • FredFredBurger
    FredFredBurger Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited September 2020
    What's the max capacity sata III m.2 ssd and what's the max capacity of ram I can install in my Acer Aspire 3-a315-41-r8uu? I've heard that the laptop only supports up to 256gb and I heard 1tb should work as well. For the ram, corsair's website says it supports up to 16gb but I want to be sure the max is indeed 16gb. Also, will the laptop be able to take advantage of 3200mhz ram since I know 3200mhz is a sweet spot for Ryzen cpus.
  • KenMA
    KenMA Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm getting conflicting information about SSD for an A315-41-R3RF (P/N NX.GY9AA.005).  One of the earlier posts in this thread says the computer has an M.2 slot, but both Crucial and Kingston say the computer has a SATA 2.5" 7mm slot.  Before I buy an SSD, I want to be sure I'm getting the right kind.  Can someone clarify?