acer nitro 5 an515-52-56cq Ram ecc or non ecc?

doodlez
doodlez Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 2023 in Nitro Gaming
I got an acer nitro 5 an515-52-56cq. I want to know which ram to buy.non ecc or ecc ram? Which ram does are nitro 5 supports?
[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi @doodlez

You laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-56CQ from factory comes with 4GB of DDR4 RAM. Laptop RAM (memory) can be upgraded maximum to 32GB.

Below is the complete specs regarding RAM in your laptop:-

Memory controller:  Intel Coffee Lake-H
    DIMM socket number:  2 RAM slots
    Supports memory size per socket:  4GB/8GB/16GB
    Supports maximum memory size Total:  32GB
    Supports DIMM type: SODIMM
    Supports DIMM Speed: DDR4 2400/2666
    Support DIMM voltage: 1.2V
    Supports DIMM package: 260-pin DDR4 SODIMM

Regarding selection of ECC RAM or NON-ECC RAM:- 

The general rule of thumb in deciding what type of memory you need is to look at what’s already installed in your system. To find out if you have ECC or non-ECC, count the number of chips on the module. Divide the total number of chips by three. If you can evenly divide the number of chips by three, the module is ECC. If not, then it is a non-ECC. 

Above image showing ECC RAM has 9 chips in the module. The number 9 can be evenly divided by 3. Hence, it is ECC RAM. Similarly the above image showing Non-ECC RAM has 8 chips in the module. The number 8 can't be evenly divided by 3. Hence, it is Non-ECC RAM. 

I request that you need to check the chips in your laptop RAM module and confirm whether it is ECC RAM or Non-ECC RAM. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

Answers

• Balatekie
    Answer ✓
    Hi @doodlez

You laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-52-56CQ from factory comes with 4GB of DDR4 RAM. Laptop RAM (memory) can be upgraded maximum to 32GB.

Below is the complete specs regarding RAM in your laptop:-

Memory controller:  Intel Coffee Lake-H
    DIMM socket number:  2 RAM slots
    Supports memory size per socket:  4GB/8GB/16GB
    Supports maximum memory size Total:  32GB
    Supports DIMM type: SODIMM
    Supports DIMM Speed: DDR4 2400/2666
    Support DIMM voltage: 1.2V
    Supports DIMM package: 260-pin DDR4 SODIMM

Regarding selection of ECC RAM or NON-ECC RAM:- 

The general rule of thumb in deciding what type of memory you need is to look at what’s already installed in your system. To find out if you have ECC or non-ECC, count the number of chips on the module. Divide the total number of chips by three. If you can evenly divide the number of chips by three, the module is ECC. If not, then it is a non-ECC. 

Above image showing ECC RAM has 9 chips in the module. The number 9 can be evenly divided by 3. Hence, it is ECC RAM. Similarly the above image showing Non-ECC RAM has 8 chips in the module. The number 8 can't be evenly divided by 3. Hence, it is Non-ECC RAM. 

I request that you need to check the chips in your laptop RAM module and confirm whether it is ECC RAM or Non-ECC RAM. 

• doodlez
    doodlez Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thank you.is there a way to check it without looking the rams physical appearance?
  • Balatekie
    doodlez said:
    Thank you.is there a way to check it without looking the rams physical appearance?
    Hi, 
    Sorry to say nope. There is no information about the RAM type whether it is ECC or Non ECC. :)

• Joe092389
    Joe092389 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi... I want to upgrade the RAM and HHD to SSD of my Acer Aspire E5-571G 7338 (Made in China). what specs do I need to check before buying RAM and SSD? are all e-series are non-ecc?