E5-576G Sometimes Screen Only Doesn't Wake From Sleep (No Display After Wakeup)

Jazee
Jazee Member Posts: 3 New User
Ocassionally waking my computer up from auto sleep (while plugged in) the keyboard comes on, bluetooth music resumes, etc, so I know it is waking up but the screen won't come on.  I can resolve it by closing the lid again and manually putting it into sleep, opening lid (wake it up) and everything is fine.  Kind of annoying.  Have all latest drivers per Acer download and whatever Windows automatically updated.  I'm an IT Professional so understand the workings.  I'm guessing it's a peculiarity with latest Windows 10 and I've seen posts on other forums about this with different brands of computers.

Hoping though to find a fellow Aspire owner that figured it out.  Typically though you get about 5 different answers on solutions as no one knows the cause for sure and it's a new enough model that Acer probably hasn't gotten enough trouble tickets on this specific issue to get a reliable solution into their knowledgebase yet. But I can at least try I guess!

Answers

• Jazee
    Jazee Member Posts: 3 New User
    I should elaborate...

I've only had the machine 3 weeks and I haven't messed with the drivers except to make sure the NVIDIA driver was updated.  I think Windows 10 these days has got a pretty complete database for newer machines and will update drivers as needed (as Acer support page for this model instructs.)  

One thing also I noticed is sometimes when even with the re-sleep trick it doesn't wake up the CPU fan is buzzing away indicating CPU is under load.  Also I have 16GB memory in this machine that I took from another machine - same exact type of memory as the 8GB that came with it.  But it does seem like this happened when I have about 5 programs open including Chrome with 20+ browser windows.  Although the memory is same spec it is two different brands and had no issues in previous laptop so since it's the correct spec memory, I would guess it's not the issue, but, assuming the display is using the onboard Intel when I'm not playing games or editing video, I believe the onboard Intel video adapter uses system memory and so maybe there's some memory management issues, or flaking memory chip, that only acts up when I'm close to using all 16GB?  

Lots of guessing here.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Hey Jazee,

Did you ever figure out a solution to your problem?  
    I'm trying to help someone else that appears to have the same problem.
    Did you update BIOS?
    Thanks.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Naveen101
    Naveen101 Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    This is a different problem. I have the same issue. The laptop wont even sleep.
    This is a bios issue. We need a fix. I checked this in Linux either same thing happened. report this problem everyone.
  • negative_zero
    negative_zero Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I called tech support, and they told me to make a change in Power Settings.
    In Windows 10, open Settings > System > Power & Sleep > Additional Power Settings > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings. Go down to "Multimedia settings", and for "When sharing media", for "plugged in", change it to "Allow the computer to sleep". That ought to do it!

• paulosam
    paulosam Member Posts: 3 New User
    After so much struggling with two machines e5 576 - 392h ... the solution was the intel driver 09/08/2021 - 30.0.100.9894