SW713-51GNP Fn Lock on Switch 7

ursmeili
ursmeili Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Is it really possible that I cannot use the Function Keys without pressing "Fn" every time? If I press "F2" in file explorer, I want to rename a file, not switch to Airplane Mode... I didn't find any way to toggle this. Other notebooks have a "Fn Lock" (usually Fn+Esc), or a BIOS setting which does the same. The Switch 7, altough being marketed as a professional device, doesn't seem to have any of those. Please help - otherwise I will be forced to send the (otherwise very nice) device back, since it is barely usable like this.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    What is your full model number SW7-xxx? SW713-xxx? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ursmeili

Tinkerer

Hi JackE,

Switch SW713-51GNP. 
    I tried the newest BIOS 1.0.7 today, but the option to Switch Fn behaviour is still missing.
  • JackE
    Please recheck the BIOS Main tab for a function key behavior option as shown in the image below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ursmeili

Tinkerer

The screen looks like this on my computer. See - no "Function Key behavior" option.

• JackE
    Sorry. My specs for the Switch SW713-51 were mislabled as the Swift SF713-51. This annoying default swap of standard function key behavior has been an issue with other Swift and Spin models with similar firmware. There have been reports that the latest versions of ACER Quick Access application and/or ACER Launch Manager can return the keyboard to standard function key behavior. So I suggest that you first try to download and install the latest Jan 18 Quick Access for this model to see if an option exists to change this annoying default. Please post results. I will continue to research this. Jack E/NJ  https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7500?b=1

Jack E/NJ

• ursmeili

Tinkerer

The Quick Access app has only 3 functions, one of them just pointing to a Windows OS dialog. No keyboard settings whatsoever. I also checked the "Mobility Center" where other manufactorers such as Dell have their similar configurations... nope.

I cannot understand how they can design such a fantastic device, and then they fail miserably with a detail such as this. I know NOBODY who would mind pressing Fn+F2 when they want to go to airplane mode once a month (when they board an airplane perhaps). I know HUNDREDS of people who DON'T want to press Fn+F2 every time they rename something... Do the people who design this ACTUALLY ever work with their device? I guess not...
  • JackE
    Agreed. I'm still waiting for a response from some European ACER folks who were struggling with this issue earlier this year. Stay tuned. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Do as @JackE said! Make sure there are some more current acer quick access! However, it occurs that sometimes the launch manager driver is not updated along with the program! Usually the program itself warns you that there is an update when you are connected to the internet!
    To do this, go to device manager and human interface devices, click on launch manager, driver, refresh driver, search for software and then put the path where acer quick access is installed, which is usually this C: \ Program Files \ Acer \ Acer Quick Access \ drivers and then click Next!
    In the photo shows two drivers, but when I updated the program, the driver was not updated automatically and had to do it manually!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ursmeili

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    egydiocoelho the launch manager doesn't work on Win10 and is not supported for my model anyway. I do have the latest version of Acer Quick Access, 2.1.3025.0
  • JackE
    edited October 2019
    >>>Do the people who design this ACTUALLY ever work with their device?>>>

Locked FN key behavior is still apparently unresolved in most of these models according to my contacts. I'd guess a future firmware release, a function key utility (Toshiba has such a utility that somebody here might like to experiment with), or a yet-to-be-revealed magical keystroke combo will unlock the FN key similar to number lock and scroll lock.   Jack E/NJ      

[Edited link]

Jack E/NJ

• ursmeili

Tinkerer

edited October 2019
    Hi @JackE , thanks for trying to help.

[Edited link]
  • JackE
    Done. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaxShin
    MaxShin Member Posts: 1 New User
    Is this issue was closed? How can I fix it?
  • JackE
    edited October 2019
    @MaxShin It's not closed.

Jack E/NJ

[Edited link]

Jack E/NJ

• laby
    laby Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2019
    ursmeili said:
    Hi @JackE , thanks for trying to help.
    Hey, any update on the FN-key? I just got a switch 7 and i cant figure it out...
  • JackE
    Not that I know about yet. Thanks for supporting the idea. Hopefully it'll help get the attention that it deserves. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• TenTen1
    TenTen1 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

i cannot undo the fn lock. how can i undo the fn lock so my keyboard letters are back to normal?
  • JackE
    This is a very old thread. Please post a new thread on your problem including you full ACER model number and what you did with the FN lock that you can't seem to undo. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• switch7User
    switch7User Member Posts: 9 New User
    I am suffering same problem.What kind of engineer can design , permanenet FN key, with secondary taskk isntead of F function key that %99 of computer in the world uses it as a standart.
  • JackE
    switch7User  I feel your pain. Keep checking the BIOS updates like the rest of us ACER users. I suspect it'll eventually be fixed like it has in some similar models with the same makes-no-sense default setting from the factory. How soon? I have no idea. Till then, press the FN key like the rest of us if you want the function keys to work the way they should. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ