Acer Predator G3-571 laptop not playing Starcraft Remastered and Darkest Dungeon

vitali
vitali Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
(rewritten into proper forum)
My Predator G3-571 is crashing on Starcraft Remastered and Darkest Dungeon.

I first thought it was Starcraft remastered or something when I tried to play with my cousin, only to find that I couldn't even load the first menu. I played League of Legends, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Dead Cells, and so forth with no problem (Albeit a little slow down and some strange slow frame rate) and then when I redownloaded Darkest Dungeon to play that, it crashed in the same manner as Starcraft Remastered where it didn't even get past the first logo of "Red Hook Studios"

What is going on???
I've played both Starcraft Remastered and Red Hook Studios just fine and now they don't work?

I literally played Starcraft Remastered four days ago and then two days ago it stops working. What is wrong with my laptop?

Best Answer

• vitali

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    So I figured out how to solve the problem. If you play the game with administrator permission, you will be able to play it ...

I don't even ...

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Click create a restore point. Look for an automatic Win10update restore point with a datestamp just prior to when it stopped working. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vitali

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search "restore point". Click create a restore point. Look for an automatic Win10update restore point with a datestamp just prior to when it stopped working. Jack E/NJ
    I tried it and i found a restore point,but not a win10update restore point. When i tried to restore to august 7th, it tried to do it but it had an error that said the restore point didnt work at the end
  • JackE
    Did you click the box "show more restore points" ? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vitali

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Did you click the box "show more restore points" ? Jack E/NJ
    That was how i found the august 7th option
  • JackE
    What created the Aug 7th restore point? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vitali

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    I have no idea. I will post screen shots asap
  • vitali

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Actually, i think it was from me reinstalling my sound driver. I had to install it multiple times over the last couple weeks. Would that affect things?
  • JackE
    >>>I literally played Starcraft Remastered four days ago and then two days ago it stops working. >>>

Aug 7th was four days ago. Try the Aug 7th restore point again and note exact wording of any failure messages. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vitali

Tinkerer

I have attached this image as per your request.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what it means by the antivirus program. I do not have an antivirus program. I also turned off the system protection just in case and it still didn't work.

What file is this talking about?

JackE said:
    >>>I literally played Starcraft Remastered four days ago and then two days ago it stops working. >>>

Aug 7th was four days ago. Try the Aug 7th restore point again and note exact wording of any failure messages. Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Please turn system protection back on. Then check Control Panel programs to make sure you don't have McAfee or Norton antivirus installed. If not, then disable Windows Defender by pressing the Winkey + R key. Then enter "gpedit.msc" without the quotes. Then disable Defender. Then reboot, and try the Aug 7th restore point again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WinterGale
    WinterGale Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Since the latest Windows 10 upgrade I also experienced some games no longer working. Others were getting "Fatal Errors" upon starting, others would not just start. My solution was to:

1. Find the game's .exe file.
    2. Right click and go to properties.
    3. Go to compatibility.
    4. Select "Disable fullscreen optimizations".
    5. On the same tab click on "Change high DPI settings" to open a new window.
    6. Select "Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program [...]". Then under the drop down menu, select "I signed in to Windows".
    7. Uncheck "Override high DPI scaling behavior".

This problem seems to occur randomly with some games being affected and others not. I hope this helps.
  • vitali

Tinkerer

Since the latest Windows 10 upgrade I also experienced some games no longer working. Others were getting "Fatal Errors" upon starting, others would not just start. My solution was to:

3. Go to compatibility.
    6. Select "Use this setting to fix scaling problems for this program [...]". Then under the drop down menu, select "I signed in to Windows".

This problem seems to occur randomly with some games being affected and others not. I hope this helps.
    How do i do this for starcraft remastered? How about a steam game like darkest dungeon?
  • vitali

Tinkerer

3. Go to compatibility.

Unfortunately, this does not help with Darkest Dungeon.
  • vitali

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Please turn system protection back on. Then check Control Panel programs to make sure you don't have McAfee or Norton antivirus installed. If not, then disable Windows Defender by pressing the Winkey + R key. Then enter "gpedit.msc" without the quotes. Then disable Defender. Then reboot, and try the Aug 7th restore point again. Jack E/NJ

Am I a moron? Did I do something wrong?

• vitali

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Okay, I figured out the GPedit part ... but it still didn't work. I still got the same error message.
  • JackE
    Try to run the restore point from Safe Mode without networking. https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• WinterGale
    Does the game display a specific error message when it crashes?
  • WinterGale
    Also, I doubt its your system that' is at fault here. Since the latest Win10 Creator's Update, lots of game had been crashing and even the devs themselves are at loss for a proper solution.
  • vitali

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    So I figured out how to solve the problem. If you play the game with administrator permission, you will be able to play it ...

I don't even ...
  • JackE
    Congrats. But when admin permission is needed, a Windows popup should've appeared indicating that this admin permission was needed. Something else seems to be missing here? Hope it continues to fix your game-playing issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ